Throttle hand cramp - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Throttle hand cramp

I am a very new rider. I took my first real spin a few days ago. Shortly into the ride my right hand started cramping. I guess it is because my grip is tighter due to turning the throttle. I found that during my rider class, my left hand would actually go numb and tingle when holding in the clutch for long periods of time. (We were learning to find the "sweet spot" between the throttle and clutch in first gear).
Does anyone else experience this? Can anyone recommend certain gloves, certain hand exercises ...etc?
I ask this because I can see it being a major issue during long riding periods.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 PM

Garage
With time you will build confidence and start to relax on you rides. You need to be alert but relaxed at the same time. Just keep riding and before you know it you will have the confidence. I do where gloves for protection when I ride. Just find a pair that feel good and use them. I have a throttle buddy (google for options) that helps on long rides.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Last edited by lesblank; 10-08-2015 at 02:57 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
With time you will build confidence and start to relax on you rides..
So, you think my hand is just too tight on the grip? I'll take notice next time I ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:58 PM

Garage
Hi Aunttudie, lb is right. Once your confidence increases, you'll learn to relax more. I was experiencing similar issues and raised my handlebars about an inch higher and it helped. Just a suggestion though. Keep us updated with your progress.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Garage
Another thing is you can rotate your bars back or forward to make the reach just right. Don't forget to tighten back really good. They will rotate while riding if you don't. And yes that's experience talking.
Stose85 and Stose85 like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Garage
I have the same issue and I've been riding for quite a number of years. Didn't have this issue with my 1100 because I swapped out the grips for Kuriyakin iso grips with a throttle boss. I'm doing the same with my liner tomorrow and hopefully this cures my numb right hand.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Just got back from riding about 30 miles. I took your advise and tried to relax my body a bit. I'm a little sore, but no where near the cramping I had earlier this AM when I only rode about 3 miles. I have a total of 50 miles on my bike now. My ride to work is about 22 miles one way and I am going to attempt that on Sunday since it is supposed to be about 80 degrees here. Thanks for the help.
Once I get more comfortable with riding, I think I will look at adjusting things to my liking. Right now I don't really know what I like about the bike and what I don't. We don't know each other that well yet.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Garage
You're already making progress, one ride at a time.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:32 AM

I will second what everyone else has advised. Yes they make different grips to isolate vibration and they make little gadgets to help alleviate hand and wrist cramps but at this stage I would suggest all you need is more seat time. Being nervous will not only increase the grip on the handles your whole body is probably tensed up to a certain degree. Your body also needs to get adjusted to the demands of riding as well. My first few trips had my butt hurting after 15 - 20 minutes. Now it's normally well after an hour before I even think about it. As you become more confident you will naturally relax. Just don't ever forget you are on a motorcycle and get so relaxed that you get careless.
I also agree with your thinking of not making any adjustments on the bike just yet. Time will tell you what you need and want.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 10-09-2015 at 07:35 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:15 PM

Remember to move your fingers...especially on the throttle hand. Just wiggling one at a time will make a big difference.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode