I went down - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Aunttudie
  • 2 Post By commonground
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By sonysnek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I went down

It was a beautiful day here in Nebraska yesterday. I had a hair appointment and decided I would ride my bike there. I did not want to take the highway, so I mapped out an alternate unfamiliar route (1st mistake) I had the directions in my head, but when I got in to the neighborhood, I was uncertain where to turn and made a last minute turn(2nd mistake) I hit the curb at a very low speed and went down. Nothing too bad. Elbow and knee bruised. My foot was caught under the bike, but I managed to pull it out. I was wearing a leather jacket and boots. If not, I am sure it would have been worse.
After a few cars sped by as they were looking at me laying on the ground. A few very nice people and another biker helped me get my bike back up. No damage. Just a scrape on the highway foot peg and the handlebar. The biker asked me if it was gravel that caused it and I said I didn't know where my turn was so I made a last minute turn. He gave me advice I will NEVER forget. It it is last minute or you are unsure you keep going straight. You can always turn around.
Needless to say, I got back on the bike, went to my hair appointment.(only a few blocks away. I didn't say a word about my accident to my daughter-in-law, who does my hair.(She lost her dad a few years ago in a bike accident) But I was sure glad I had a few hours to work out in my head what I was going to do as far as riding home. I did ride home and was surprisingly calm about it. I was made more aware. I did notice that I tended to slow way down when I made a turn. I defiantly need more practice at low speed turns. Any practice advice out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Glad you are okay and that it wasn't a more expensive and painful experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunttudie View Post
You can always turn around.
I wish more people would understand this, regardless of the vehicle, I always see people jumping multiple lanes, crossing painted lines, and nearly causing wrecks because they are going to miss their turn. As if that's the only possible way to reach their destination. An extra 5 minutes in the wrong direction is not the end of the world in most cases.

2011 V Star 950
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
After I slept on it, I am pretty sore in the elbow. This is my second event. First one, I was a passenger and I nearly ripped my arm off, So DAMN glad I didn't fall on that side.
I will always keep going from now on. Doesn't matter if I'm in a group or not. Live and learn.
Mom2sixqts and Mom2sixqts like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 03:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunttudie View Post
After I slept on it, I am pretty sore in the elbow. This is my second event. First one, I was a passenger and I nearly ripped my arm off, So DAMN glad I didn't fall on that side.
I will always keep going from now on. Doesn't matter if I'm in a group or not. Live and learn.
i noticed that in slow speed maneuvers the bike only flops over if it stops rolling. if you drag the rear brake very lightly and rear wheel is turning the bike stays stable. i'll bet what happened is when you saw the curb you couldn't take your eyes off it "target fixation" and the bike went exactly were you were looking and you hit it, look were "you" want to go not were the bike is going and bike will follow your eyes every time. it's a learned thing to not look at the danger right in front of you and to look in a safer direction, in the beginning you may have to force yourself to look away from danger and to a safe path but after awhile it will come naturally. oh and never look down. because the bike follows your eyes" look down go down"

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 PM

The "Ride Like A Pro" DVD by Jerry "Motorman" Palladino is an excellent educational source for riding a motorcycle, especially in turns and at low speeds. It's a keeper. Augie
caseyjones and caseyjones like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Sounds like a little parking lot practice around some cones would help with getting a feel for what works at low speed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post

I wish more people would understand this, regardless of the vehicle, I always see people jumping multiple lanes, crossing painted lines, and nearly causing wrecks because they are going to miss their turn. As if that's the only possible way to reach their destination. An extra 5 minutes in the wrong direction is not the end of the world in most cases.
bofa and bofa like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:34 AM

I sometimes having that feeling of uncertainty on turning at last minute, one got almost got me. Since then I learned to always slow down.

2006 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Elk

Glad you weren't hurt any worse. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 AM

I concur. Glad you're relatively ok.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode