My first tire howl - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

My first tire howl

My new rider progression is going well. I am getting a lot smoother with the small friction zone of my VStar. I have been making myself from day one use both brakes when stopping including practicing some quick stops in a parking lot. But the parking lot doesn't compare very well to quick stops at near highway speeds with real traffic. Today I was going about 50 or 55 when the intersection light changed. I braked to my surprise a little too aggressively and I experienced my first tire howling sound. It was loud and thankfully I quickly relaxed my brake control pressure. I am thankful for this warning sound before tire lock-up.

I would like to hear from your experiences with tire howls. Do all cycles do it? Does the sound change any right before tire lock-up? Does anyone practice front brake near maximum performance breaking?

2009 Yamaha VStar 650 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Yes you can get tire howl or screeching whenever your tire rotational speed doesn't match ground speed - works under not only braking conditions but rolling throttle too hard in a corner or if you don't match engine speed while aggressively down shifting.

Nothing to worry about. In fact it's a good indicator of what you said, modulating lever pressure before lockup. It sounds like you did it right.

Practicing emergency maneuvers in a parking lot is a must in my opinion. If you haven't already try giving Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist series a look and Ride Like a Pro by Jerry Palladino. It's fun developing the skills to handle a 650+ lbs cruiser at low and high speeds that only a few on even a sports bike will achieve because they don't put in the proper training.

Sam
2007 VStar 1100 Classic
Mods: SS Custom Cycle 429 cams, Barnett 64lb clutch spring conversion, Roadhouse 2-into-1 exhaust, Dyna 3000 ignition module, Dyna Hi-energy coils, Thundervolt spark plug wires, Metric Magic Under tank K&N filter pods, Metric Magic PMS screws, relocated "choke" off bar to engine, Yamaha upgraded starter clutch, Clevver clutch lever, rejetted carbs, Barons ORK oil filter relocation kit, Mustang touring seat, 1000lbs Eibach rear suspension spring, Progressive front fork springs, Stebel Nautilus horn, upgraded rear turn signals, Saddleman Midnight express saddlebags, Givi E340 topcase, VStar tall windshield and yes, 16-inch apes with internal wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Zen for the howling sound info. In my opinion for me, the three challenging handling items for a new rider to work on are: high speed quick stops, high speed swerves, and riding well in the twisty road curves.

2009 Yamaha VStar 650 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Kel

Practice safety maneuvers, it WILL go a long way towards saving your life. Sure helped in my case lol, that and probably the most overworked guardian angel ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode