Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

$30 custom 650 exhaust

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  65cabriolet 
#1 ·
So, I built me a bobber and wanted to do it on the super cheap...because, that's what "hot rodding" used to be all about, doing what you can with what you got. I really liked the V&H Short Shots, but really didn't want to spend the 500 bucks to get them (since I only spent 1400 buying the bike to begin with). Soooo, I took my factory exhaust, my mediocre welding abilities, a 9 dollar 1.75" U bend and a 8 dollar short joint of 1.75" pipe and 12 dollars worth of exhaust wrap and built my own. Now, be it knows that this was done solely for the look and the sound, I really don't give 2 flips about the "performance" of a 650 bobber, other than it run properly without being too lean or rich. I used the first 18" or so of the factory front pipe and the first 4" of the rear because I needed a sure fire way the pipe would bolt to the head and seal up properly. Yes I could have bought flanges and all that, but im going for cheap and using what I had. Anyway, with a little trial and error and this being my first exhaust I ever put together...im happy with it. I did end up putting some universal baffles in the pipe, they were just too darn loud and took just enough of the edge off of it, they are still plenty loud but not obnoxious like they were. So, 9+8+12+whatever scraps I had laying around to fab up a rear exhaust mount comes to around 30 bucks...now, the baffles, I don't remember how much they were ( I think around 5 bucks each) so that made my exhaust 40 bucks...still that's a lot better than 500 and I had fun doing it. Id be happy to help anyone that is interested in doing this themselves. I'll try to take some more detailed pics and find some of the old pics of when I was actually fitting the pipes.

file2-1 by robbz28, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
it looks like a real beast!

I know from cobbling together replacement $30 mufflers onto cars (vs the $200 OEM odd shaped mufflers) and welding together recumbent bicycle frames, that welding tubing and pipes together is no easy task.

Esp when all you have is a Lincoln "quick weld" flux wire welder. Im not good at welding, but Im really skilled at grinding things down to look presentable.

If you want to strip the bike down to be functional without extra stuff, the next time you check/ adjust your valve clearance, those fake plastic valve head covers have no function, you can leave them off. Ive seen a few 650s on google without them, the real head under the plastic is an oddly shaped cast part.

#3 ·
Thanks KCW, I've had a lot of fun building this bike...like the exhaust, that fender on the back is an 18 dollar trailer fender from Tractor Supply and that was fun figuring out how to mount safely and securely. I at least have a proper Miller 212 Mig welder...no tig, yet. I can get down pretty low on my temp with small wire and weld pipe OK, but its a lot of short bursts and like you...following up with a grinder and a sandpaper wheel. The plate I built for the rear fender...that weld looks like complete and total poo poo, It was a pretty thick plate and welding onto that swingarm tubing I didn't want to burn through it so, again, short shots of welding and I couldn't really get my grinder in there to it too good...so, its a little added charm in an area you really can't see.

To your point about the head covers...I kind of like them on there, I like that touch of chrome...something about the shiny gleaming chrome and the rest of the stuff cobbled together just "works" to me. Even the galvanized rear fender, I think im going to leave it alone. One thing I have seen people do is remove the battery box and open all that area up and really detail out the rear shock...that is kind of cool, and I might explore that one day.

#4 ·
you really need that full size battery, with no kick starter.. not sure how much you could hide things in there if you take the cover off.

i doubt you will be riding in the rain much with no front fender. At just the right speed the front tire will throw water straight up into the air into your face, so maybe having the wires and connectors in the battery space not covered wont be an issue.

Out of curiosity, did you find the factory tool kit snapped in place in the bottom of the compartment opposite the battery? About half the people who buy a 650 used never notice the tools in the bottom of that space, they are in a black plastic bag, and snap in. There have been half a dozen threads over the last several years with new 650 owners posting "hey! Look what I found!"

#5 ·
you really need that full size battery, with no kick starter.. not sure how much you could hide things in there if you take the cover off.

i doubt you will be riding in the rain much with no front fender. At just the right speed the front tire will throw water straight up into the air into your face, so maybe having the wires and connectors in the battery space not covered wont be an issue.

Out of curiosity, did you find the factory tool kit snapped in place in the bottom of the compartment opposite the battery? About half the people who buy a 650 used never notice the tools in the bottom of that space, they are in a black plastic bag, and snap in.
This is a pretty day only bike...checking my weather App before I go anywhere. My FZ09 had a really compact Lithium Ion battery, about 1/3 the size of this battery and it did the job beautifully as far as cranking...but I don't know if ill ever get to that point. As far as the tools...I honestly haven't looked, I took the cover off to paint it, but didn't really look inside. Also, I probably wouldn't have even taken it off to paint it if my dumb self hadn't set my tank on the edge of my work table and knocked it off, thus creating a big dent in my tank I had to fix...making me have to repaint the pretty metallic black paint with medium black (which looks good...its just done so much) I actually have been thinking about painting it OD green...

#6 ·
oh that is painfull, a crowded workbench can cause more trouble than sitting on the floor

you cant look in the storage compartment, you wont see anything - you have to reach in and feel for it - its like a black hole in there.

#7 ·
I can vouch for the tool kit not being visible. I bought my bike from the original owner; he told me he never got a toolkit with it. Once I had it home, I was looking for a secure place to keep insurance cards and such, opened up the side cover and stuck my hand in and there it was in all its glory.

Nice looking ride BTW.

Reactions: Yamaha Pat and KCW
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.