Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Exhaust purchase salvage help needed.

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wheels 
#1 ·
Feeling pretty dumb right now. I bought a used aftermarket exhaust from an ebay seller. The pics didn't look too bad, and I thought they'd clean up nicely with some polish. When the package arrived I was excited, but that excitement quickly turned to disgust when I found lots of rust, pitting, deep scoring/scratches and dings.

So here's the deal. I need to salvage these pipes. I have an 05 Midnight Silverado. I really wanted chrome exhaust, but that ship has sailed. I really don't want to use heat wrap, but if that's what it takes, so be it. High temp paints might be the answer, but chrome is not paint friendly and I haven't found a primer or sealer that handles 1200 degrees F. Ceramic paints seem to be the ticket, but primer is my biggest concern. Any thoughts? Experiences? Will a properly jetted RS 1700 exhaust reach 1200 degrees F?

Signed,
Exasperated in Clarksville!

#2 ·
i would post up on a local car forum for powder coater,

and do a "wrinkle" on it to cover the pits.

i did a black ceramic once,and it would burn off at the 2 into 1 junction, and every so often, i would wrap a wal-mart bag behind it to catch the over spray, and re-spray it with BBQ grill paint.

ebay is a tough deal sometimes

#3 ·
Heat wrap, black, or have them chromed at a chrome shop. Shouldn't be to much. Or you can find them for less than $100 on craigslist in very good, if not new condition. Plus, you don't have to go exclusively with roadstar, a bunch of HD compatible pipes fit on very nicely with no modification, and they're a bit more common and easy to obtain.

#4 ·
Dang! I didn't realize some harley pipes would fit. Wound up buying a set of Yamaha Long Drag pipes for $189 shipped. I'll prep and paint the others and try to recoup some money.

Thanks for the responses
tan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.