Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Just about lost her today

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  formie95 
#1 ·
So yesterday I decided to go for a bit of a ride. All was well and I learned a few new roads around my area. As it was getting colder I decided to come home. Took my usual route and found little traffic. There is, though, a traffic signal right near a Dollar General store around a slight curve in the road. Well as the light turned yellow I decided to hit a bit more of the throttle since I knew I would be stuck there for a while (the signal doesn't see my bike too well). I was able to get through the yellow with no problems and started to lean more into the curve when granny (the car that initially went through the light) decided that she wanted to stop by the big DG.

As many people know, older drivers tend to want to STOP and then turn in. This didn't bode well for me doing 5 MPH over the limit of 45 MPH in a lean.

Back tire locked up with my heavy right foot and went into the yellow line to bounce over a reflector and into the oncoming lane. I was so glad that there wasn't any traffic coming at me as I let up and straighten to go around the granny car that forgot to signal that she wanted to turn right (who am I kidding, no one in Alabama knows what the turn signal is!).

Lesson learned: don't be in a hurry through lights even if it means waiting around for a cager to pull up behind you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#5 ·
Better to lock up the rear wheel than the front. Had you locked hte front instead we'd have been hearing a different story I'm sure.

Glad to hear you made it away safely. Patience is key! I think of it as an excuse to be on the bike for just a bit longer.

#6 ·
I am glad you and your bike came out OK.

Question: Before your tire locked up, did it give you a warning like a "tire howl" sound?

Early in my riding days I applied the brakes too quickly and came close a couple of times to tire lock-ups but the loud tire sound caused a good reaction release for me.

#10 ·
Glad to hear you made it through ok and unscaved. For a moment there reading your story, I was picturing a DG by me, minus the hard curve. Florida and Bama appearantly have the same people lol. Lessons learned and your story gave us all great advice. Glad your safe to ride again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.