Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum - View Single Post - 2006 roadliner
Thread: 2006 roadliner
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Fat Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMNKYLVE View Post
I've heard of guys going with a 200/50 but if you go with the cycle image conversion you can go with a 240. The liners essentially have the same rear end as the raider. For $675 cycle image will take your stock 17x5.5 wheel and turn it into an 18x8.5 which will take a 240. The only mod you have to do to the bike is cut out a notch in your fender where it cuts in behind the belt guard. Between the tire and the conversion it will cost you a little over a grand but it is far cheaper than most other wide tire conversions. As far as tires, for stock I prefer the Bridgestones. They don't last quite as long as the Dunlops, but are more predictable.
Heck... if you want a wide tire and not have to spend all of that money, go get yourself a 215/60R17 General Altimax HP car tire and mount that up. No alterations other than slightly bending the front left bottom edge of the rear fender. Total cost (if you do it yourself) is around $125. An added bonus is that the tire will last two to three times longer than the motorcycle tire you took off, and it is wide!!!
The feel is different at first, but after a couple hundred miles you won't even think about it anymore. That's what I did, and it's working out just fine.
Here's a link to study up on this conversion...
http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/messages

Fat Strat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome