Speedometer correction - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Speedometer correction

Did some testing with a GPS and found my speedometer was off by 9%. When I thought I was going 60 mph the GPS reading was 54 mph.

To correct this I purchased a SpeedoDRD from 12 o'clock labs. They are real easy to install (plug and play) and you're up and running in 15 minutes or less. Installation and programming is a snap and they have a formula on their website that calculates the parameters you need and you can print them out and program the module in seconds. Initially, I wasn't sure which wire to unplug but I matched the ends with the ends on the ones on the SpeedoDRD and picked the right one first time. All that was necessary was to take the side cover off and look for the matching connectors. Yup! 1 screw and then you have to take the seat off to route the wire and you're done.

Installed and took it for a test ride and it's now bang on. Wish I had done this sooner. Apparently the majority of metric bikes have inaccurate speedos, not sure why.

Anyone interested can easily check theirs by using a GPS. It's not so much that the speedo is off but that also affects the odometer so your bike may not have as many miles on it as you think it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM
KCW

Garage
Ive never even thought about it on my VS650.

Now I have to stick my hand held garmin on my bike and see how far its off.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Ive never even thought about it on my VS650.

Now I have to stick my hand held garmin on my bike and see how far its off.
Oddly enough I have a friend with a 2011 650 custom. Of the bikes we tested, 650, 950, and 1300 his speedo was right on. How come Yamaha got that one right and not any of the others. Be interesting to hear if yours is correct or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight View Post
Oddly enough I have a friend with a 2011 650 custom. Of the bikes we tested, 650, 950, and 1300 his speedo was right on. How come Yamaha got that one right and not any of the others. Be interesting to hear if yours is correct or not.
Could have something to do with making EPA mileage numbers.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Garage
It's all about liability.
You get a ticket or an accident and sue because you were going FASTER than the speedometer indicated then millions of dollars are gone to lawsuits.
You'll also notice the odometers are more accurate than the speedometer. Go ahead and GPS a 100 mile run. My speedometer is reading fast 8% while the odometer is only 3%.
The odometer has to be closer because of warranty claims close to the mileage limits. Remember all them car lawsuits?
My 2013 F150 has a perfectly accurate odometer and 2 to 3% optimistic speedometer right off the lot. Same thing only cars are much closer to the truth.
Besides, doesn't every superbike rider like to say their 270 kph bike can easily crack 300kph?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Long as mine reads fast and not slow I'm good. When I'm riding with a group I go with the flow. If I'm by myself I know I'll never get a speeding ticket. Simple as that.
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:53 PM

speedo off

I have a 2014, 1300 Tour (left-over ) bought "new" last year. my wife complained about how slow I rode when picking it up. I hadn't ridden for about 12 years so I was relearning a bit how to ride, but. I thought I was doing the speed limit. 1500 miles later I was tired of the numbers of people zooming around me on two lane roads and I checked speed with a GPS and found the same error. Now I always use the GPS for speed control. It is a safety hazard programmed into these bikes in my opinion since the odometer reads correctly. All I use the speedo for now is the low fuel light! Many happy safe riding miles to you this year.

P.S. if I get rear-ended and am able, Yamaha will get sued!!!

Charlie
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Garage
gps will read 65 mph when the speedometer reads 68 mph on my 650 so it's not that far off on mine, they say the top speed for the 650 is 90 mph but i'v had mine at 95 on the gps although it took a while to get it there, after that the rev limiter kicks in, after doing that 70 mph feels comfortable i can tell you that

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 05-01-2017 at 07:22 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Garage
I am aware of this speedometer accuracy issue with motorcycles. Guess I've never really considered testing mine. I suppose I would rather be going slower than the police officer's radar gun says that I'm going. Ha! - Good thread @BKnight, and thanks for the info about which speedo you got and the ease of install. Good to know!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe it's just me but I like to know exactly how fast I am going when I look at the speedometer. Don't like having to convert in my head while riding. OK, 30 zone speedo says 42 so 10% less for easy math means I'm around 37-38. Better slow down a little. I'd much rather look down and see exactly not approximately.

I'm not a fast rider by any means so I tended to go below the speed limit before the install. This should speed me up. :-)

As a side note, the Harleys are all right on with their speedos. Wonder why the metric manufacturers aren't. Maybe they want to say their bikes are faster than Harleys. :-)
Lee Brock and Lee Brock like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode