Them Drivers be CRAZY out there because... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Them Drivers be CRAZY out there because...

2 days ago: Son is driving home from work, felt tired a bit off and slowed down below the 55mph rural speed limit.

Came up on a 4 way stop sign intersection about 20 yards ahead, and saw an SUV on the cross street blow through at about 70mph!

1 day ago: Im riding home my normal commute. I know the street lights pretty well and how long they stay green or red (after 8 years).

Coming up on an intersection in a residential area, 35mph speed limit. The light is green and I have several seconds to make it. The pickup truck in front of me stops short, because a car blew through the red light on the cross street going about 40mph. It had been red in his direction for more than 10 seconds and he blew right through it!

This morning: Riding past the town High School. All the traffic is backed up in both directions, because a car pulling out of the HS parking lot rear ended a pickup truck.
The pickup truck pulled ahead and off the road, but the lady driving the car STOPPED where she hit the truck, put her emergency flashers on, and got out of the car
because: broken headlight and scratched bumper!

So now there are four people standing in the street directing traffic around her STOPPED CAR in the middle of the lane, because its not bad enough that cars bump into each other just in the normal traffic, now we need to have people standing in the street and cars blocking the lane and cars backed up for two blocks, so the police can come and take 25 eight by 10 color glossy photos of the car with a broken headlight and scratched bumper, and measure the skid marks.

PEOPLE BE CRAZY OUT THERE!

Ride accordingly !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Garage
Yikes! Sounds like people in a rush.

And as far as the lady with the broken headlight and scratched bumper, I would think she has a hard case. I don't know about in your state, but in Massachusetts any damage to your front and drivers side are generally considered your fault.

Thanks for reminding us to stay vigilant!

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
so the police can come and take 25 eight by 10 color glossy photos
... with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back on each one explain' what each one was to be used as evidence...

That is crazy. Imagine how much more relaxing biking would be if we didn't have to constantly be on alert for idiots like that.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
I saw a guy in a grey mini van coming up on an intersection just as the light was turning yellow/red, and the car coming the other way was waiting to turn left across his path. Im sitting there at my red light watching, the car starts to turn, the other guy decides the light is only slightly yellow, they both lock the brakes and hit head on about 10mph impact.

They both broke their headlights. The guy that was trying to turn, backs his car up by the curb.

The guy with the mini van leaves it right there, under the traffic light, in the middle of the intersection, blocking both streets.

This was at dusk in december, rush hour again. I put my flashers on while the two guys exchanged their info. The guys wife is sitting in the passenger seat of the mini van. I decided this was no big deal and I was going to leave. I gave the one guy my business card, and told him Im leaving and wont be blocking the side of your van, you should move it out of the middle of the intersection.

No no no no no! I cant move the car till the POLICE get here because: Broken headlights and scratched bumper.

I asked him as nicely as I could put it: Can you ask your wife to get out of the vehicle then, so when a truck tee bones it she wont die? Because its just about dark and your van is grey and the lights are broken...

No no no no no!

I have to keep reminding myself that half the people in the world literally have an IQ below average.
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:35 AM

The old adage of not moving your car until the police can see it and do their investigation is yesterdays news. They can use evidence left in the road ie, skid marks, pavement gouges etc. to determine what happened. In VA it is suggested to move vehicles from travel lanes in that type of situation. Just took a class the other day and was informed that effective 7/1/17 new VA law will state you SHALL move vehicles from travel lanes when possible.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
The old adage of not moving your car until the police can see it and do their investigation is yesterdays news. They can use evidence left in the road ie, skid marks, pavement gouges etc. to determine what happened. In VA it is suggested to move vehicles from travel lanes in that type of situation. Just took a class the other day and was informed that effective 7/1/17 new VA law will state you SHALL move vehicles from travel lanes when possible.
On occasion those light up signs on the freeway controlled by CALTRANS to give messages of road closures n such will display a message to the following:

"In a minor accident, move to the side of the road"

In my years commuting I have seen people on the freeway get into a a minor rear-ender, both parties stop in the middle of the lanes and get out of their cars to discuss it..... idiots.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
One of the big red LED signs on the highway here one morning said:

STAY AWAKE
STAY ALIVE

I saw that movie
they come when you are asleep and kill you in your dreams!

More crazy drivers:

There is a little used railroad crossing on my commute by a landscaping outlet store.

The school buses are required to stop at the crossings.

Traffic coming the other way frequently sees the stopped bus by the tracks, and THEY stop too. (no red flashers on the bus, no stop sign out...)

The bus must be picking up the hobo children who live by the train tracks. We better stop too! (there are no houses for miles)

Last edited by KCW; 05-11-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Saw another one today.

Stopped at red light in the center lane.

Left turn green arrow goes green.

Left lane of traffic starts turning left.

Captain Oblivious in the car in front of me drives off straight through the intersection, in spite of cars starting to turn left coming the other way.

Horns blaring, people waving.... car just kept going.
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

There is a little used railroad crossing on my commute by a landscaping outlet store.

The school buses are required to stop at the crossings.

Traffic coming the other way frequently sees the stopped bus by the tracks, and THEY stop too. (no red flashers on the bus, no stop sign out...)

The bus must be picking up the hobo children who live by the train tracks. We better stop too! (there are no houses for miles)
There are a couple of abandoned railway crossings on my way to work that all buses stop at. It's the law here that they have to stop at any railway crossing. Guess it doesn't matter that it hasn't been used in decades. Can't say I've ever seen traffic in the other lane stop too though...lol

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
... with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back on each one explain' what each one was to be used as evidence...
Yea cause, you can have anything you want at Alice's restaurant, 'cept for Alice.

Driving to work yesterday on a 4 lane road that ended at a T intersection, so left lane had to turn left right turn right. I have a car riding right beside my truck, I have 2 cars in front of me and he had 1 in front of him. I see him hit his turn signal to get in my lane. I keep the same speed. The car in front of him did not move up enough to let him get in front of me. There is NOTHING behind me. The guy kinda swerves his little ecobox POS at me to intimidate me. I laugh at him. So he has to drop in behind me. We get to the stop sign. The first car in front of me stops then turns. The second car rolls through the stop sign. As I am coming up I have a semi coming from my left. So I stop. Ecobox idiot throws up his hands and blows the horn at me. I tell him he is number 1 in my book as I sit there and make sure where the semi is going before I pull out.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode