Videos of Florida Motorskillz event - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By NGM
  • 2 Post By Keith Post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Videos of Florida Motorskillz event

Here are a couple of videos of the courses at the event I went to. The video from the handle bars is a lady from Brazil who came to this event. She is a BAD AZZ rider. The videos from the helmet cam are me on the novice stuff that most of you will recognize from your Motorcycle courses.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM
KCW

Garage
Dont understand why you were pumping the throttle while riding the slow & straight section? Cant see what your left was doing on the clutch. Below clutch speed I always use the friction zone, and hold the engine at a steady RPM.

Also surprised they let people ride without a jacket.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I do that because I do not want the constant higher speed on the clutch. Bump it while in the friction zone then let off. No reason to keep heating up the clutch.

The Jacket thing was because it was not an official training thing I guess. When I saw others without their jacket I took mine off. It was hot as hell out there.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Last edited by NGM; 06-05-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM

Garage
Nice video, thanks for sharing it with us. It does remind me of my MSF course from April of last year. If it'll ever stop raining I can go to a local elementary school parking lot and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NGM and NGM like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM
KCW

Garage
I will have to look into this more.

One of the things I learned in the MSF class, which I never knew, is the clutch is in the oil, and its difficult to abuse it (compared to a car). The first time we rode the bikes they had us slip the clutch in the friction zone, pulling the bike forward a couple feet with our feet down, then push the bike back, slip the clutch, push the bike back - over and over for about 5 minutes or more to get the feel for the pull of the slipping clutch. I was very uncomfortable, I know if I did that with any of my cars the clutch would be smoking.

Same when we got to the 'slow in traffic' practice, riding slower that the bike would go at idle speed, slipping the clutch repeatedly to keep the bike crawling along (feet up), and the same on U turns and figure 8's.

I got the definite impression that the oil keeps the clutch cool, and you would have to rev the crap out of the engine and slip the clutch to damage it. They taught us to rev the engine just a bit to keep it from stalling, and then use the clutch as the speed control, esp when turning.

Actually there are some weird physics involved (weird because its counter intuitive). When the clutch is slipping it does not matter how fast the engine is spinning, because the force of the friction on the clutch plate is the same if the engine is going 500 RPM or 5000 RPM. For example if you are slipping the clutch and going 2mph, if you hold the clutch in the same position and rev up the engine the bike does not go any faster, because the friction force is not a function of speed (its a function of the pressure you are applying to the clutch plate). Once the clutch is fully engaged, then its all about engine rpm.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

My thought process is oil bath or not if you rub 2 things together slow they get warm, if you rub 2 things together really fast they get hot. I could be totally wrong in this, but I have never burned up a clutch in any vehicle I own by popping the throttle to move it where I want at a slow speed. I have burned them up slipping them at high speed at the track getting ready for a launch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode