Keep thinking about buying an older bike... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Keep thinking about buying an older bike...

Since I got my license 4 years ago I sometimes scan the local craigslist to see how much my bike is selling for, and to see what other bike deals are out there.

Sometimes I would see a "vintage" bike, like a Honda 750 four, goldwing, SR500 thumper, Yamaha 750 triple, Honda CX500 (silverwing)... and think it would be fun to get one of those.

Now I have a bit of extra money on hand and keep thinking about it more seriously. I think the thing that tripped all this, I looked at a 1999 Royal Star with 1600 miles on the odo, for $3000, and realized I COULD have two bikes in my garage.

Now that thought process has started Ive opened the door.

I think maybe part of it is I missed out on all these great bikes in the '70s, '80s... because I had an enduro bike and was not into street bikes. So I missed the opportunity to own some of these great machines over the last 40 years.

And I think the other half of it, I went to a dealer for their open house saturday, and walking through their showroom there is really not much new on the market that I would want to buy, esp not at showroom prices. Somehow these older bikes appeal to me more. All this new stuff that is wrapped in plastic panels, fuel injected, and sculpted to look like a racing bike is not my concept of what a motorcycle is. Here in upstate NY its easy to find a 30 year old motorcycle with less than 20,000 miles on it, for less than $2000. Many less than $1000.

Does anyone else keep an older bike or two in the garage?

I have a feeling that once I got a second bike, the fever would break and I would be over it in a few months. Sometimes the idea of something is better than the reality.

And to be clear, my 2005 Vstar 650 classic is a great bike, I literally cannot think of anything I would change on it, and Ive never had any issues with it at all.

The other thing that would be great, if there was a way I could ride or borrow some of these older bikes for a weekend, just to see get a chance to ride something different. This could be a business for someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 AM

KCW, I know where you're coming from regarding a 2nd bike, as I would also like to have another, different horse to ride. Since you have a 650 Classic, have you thought about getting a VStar 1100? Maybe moving up to a bigger bike might do it for you. The 1100s are still great bikes, and I've seen a few that were real nice here in southern Maryland. Price-wise you may be able to find one on Cycle Trader [I'm not a fan of Craigslist, but if you don't mind that......]. Set your parameters for how far you'd travel to get a bike and see what you come up with. I got my 950 Tourer from western Pennsylvania, a 5 hour turn-n-burn trip from Waldorf, Maryland. Just my dime.......
KCW and KCW like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
The thing that is keeping my head on straight so far, is the simple question: how would riding a second bike be any different than my VS650?

I checked out an '83 "naked" Goldwing with a fairing last week and took it for a ride. Its pretty much a highway bike, and except for the fairing I think it wouldnt be that much different on the open road than my VS. Better at highway speeds, but I could put a windshield on my bike for about $300.

A standard honda 750/4 or yamaha triple would ride more like a sport bike.

A 250 or 500 thumper could be set up with street/off road tires and be more of a scrambler, something I could take down a dirt road or even on mild trails.

I still have a lead on that 1300 Royal Star. I think I may have talked to owner into keeping it himself. He is going to register it and ride it a bit once he gets the title (estate purchase). He said he wanted to flip it and use the money to buy a HD. I told him that Vstars are far more reliable than a harley, and if he sells it he will regret it for the rest of his life :^)

But yeah, I would have to go for a bigger touring class bike, or something more sporty than what I have. My VS650 is right in the middle.

Last edited by KCW; 06-26-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 03:09 PM

You might be surprised how much different a bigger VS feels. I was very surprised how much different the ride was on my 950 compared to my 650. The difference in the handlebars, seat posture and just having more power was very noticeable. That's why I mentioned the 1100 or even a 1300. You mentioned dirt roads and mild trails so maybe one of the Yamaha sports bikes may fit the bill. I'm purely a cruiser/tourer guy and the thought of dirt roads makes my back tremble, LOL!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 PM

Garage
out of all the bikes i'v had over the years i'v kept 3 my daily rider the 650 classic, an old 58 900cc sportster and my first bike a 66 triumph TR6

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
I started riding in the late '70s. I had a '74 honda CL175 and later got a new '78 Yamaha IT 175.

After WW2 my father stayed on in Germany in the army for a few years, and got a '38 BMW R4. He rode it all over the country side, had to keep it hidden in a farmers barn because soldiers were banned from riding MCs (so many guys were getting hurt or killed on them). I always thought it would have been great if he could have brought that R4 home somehow.

When I got my '78 I was 21, the same age as when he got his '38 R4. Forty years apart. Back then the difference between his old bike and my "new" IT175 was remarkable. Back then his old BMW would have been like an antique.

So now... If I buy a '78 honda or Yamaha, it will be 40 years old.

Some how the difference does not seem as great between bikes over the last 40 years, as they were the previous 40 years.

But maybe that just my perspective, because I remember those bikes in the '70s in the dealer show rooms.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 PM

Keep thinking about buying an older bike...

Aside from my V Star turned bagger, I keep my 1980 Yamaha XS1100 back there that I can't seem to part with...

I turned it into a bobber last year. Now I wanna make another project and turn it into a cafe racer. I always said I wanted to keep a cruiser AND a crotch rocket...

So I plan on making it look something like this...

...and do a little light motor work, and that will be my sport bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
I know where there is an '83 XJ 1100 for sale right now, good running condition with new tires, asking price $1400.

From what I have read they are great bikes, they were the default touring bike when they were new...

I might have to call the guy tomorrow.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:39 PM

Garage
Looks like a great project J Real!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Real and J Real like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
still looking at Craigslist everyday for 'vintage motorcycles'

Been watching a couple Honda Silverwings from 81-82. They were really milestone bikes based on the CX500 sideways V twin, liquid cooled, shaft drive, first bike with tubeless tires...

The GL500 was designed from the frame to be a touring bike for one person, with a factory fairing (same as the Goldwing) and side and trunk luggage, rear monoshock, air assist shocks front and back, easy to adjust valves, 4.6t gallon tank and 55mpg. Purely from an engineering perspective they were designed to be the perfect mid range tour / commuter bike.

MSRP back in '82 was almost $4,000, so adjusting for inflation they would be $10,000 bikes today.

Ive seen a couple with less than 20k miles for $1,000 to $1,200.

If I can arrange a test ride tomorrow there might be one in my garage Monday morning.

If I were to put a good touring fairing and hard bags on my VS650, I would spend at least that much, or more. I really like my naked 650 classic... so I really NEED two MCs. O_o o_O

thats the problem with motorcycles: once you have rode on one motorcycle, you want to ride them all.

Last edited by KCW; 07-08-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode