Yamaha Demo Rides. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yamaha Demo Rides.

Last week I received an email invitation to visit Mid-State Motorsports in Cookeville,Tn some 70 miles northeast of us. It's been raining everyday for two weeks and the Demo rides were today and tomorrow.
Me and the Misses rolled the dice and drove up there and much to our pleasure, the sun popped out with clear skies. Yamaha had provided the dealership with one of only two of the new Ventures that recently debuted. I sat on it along with the misses and I gotta tell you, this thing is a beast! The sales manager showed us all of the new technology down to the reverse assist. The model we sat on was the Inter-Continental and it was loaded to the hilt. It weighs in at 971 pounds. The sound system and security system were impressive. I've watched nearly every video that's come out on the new Venture, however seeing it in person and sitting on it is totally different from watching it on YouTube. For me it's just too big and pricey, yet I can see if one can afford it and travels a lot, it'd probably be worth the investment, just my opinion though.
We signed up for the ride demo and I chose the 1300. I really enjoyed riding it, very similar to my 950 but with a good bit more oomph. It felt very torquey and had excellent brakes. I liked the flow of the saddlebags and rear fender and the blacked out front end look. You'll see in the provided pics it was grey metallic color with two tone stripes. It had factory gps, abs brakes, and a decent sound system and iPod connections. It was the 2016 model with 2500 miles on it. I've always felt if I ever chose to sell my 950, the 1300 would be my next choice and this demo ride cemented that.
I also spoke to a Bob Cohenour, Northeast Region Field Support Manager for Yamaha Motor Co. Super nice guy and I shared with him some feedback we get from you the members. I told him as a moderator on our forum and a member that Yamaha should listen to the grass roots riders and have more dealerships get involved with carrying aftermarket items for Yamaha's and not to discontinue the Vstar line completely as I've seen more older riders get back in the saddle after a layoff and many don't want to ride a crotch rocket. I hear ya he said. He stated he'd worked for 30 years for HD, and is seeing the same thing in the industry. The manager of the dealership overheard our conversation and announced that by the end of August, they'll have an entire section dedicated to aftermarket parts available off the shelf. Bob also mentioned Yamaha's Yamalube program available to new owners within 240 days after purchase. He said that if Yamalube fails to protect the internals of Yamaha's engines, they'll replace the motor at 100% their cost. In closing I wanted to share today's experience with everyone and sorry if I got long winded. I was very pleased with how organized this was and how the Yamaha reps were willing to listen. Cory was our demo run guide and drove the Bolt, that is one quick ride! If anyone gets the chance to go to Yamaha's Demo Rides days, I highly recommend it. Hope the pics turned out good! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	71969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3507.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	71977

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2woofs, 2woofs, lesblank and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3505.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	71985Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3511.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	71993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	72001

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:33 AM

Always a sucker for a 1300, especially for a deluxe. That'll be my next bike, just waiting to afford one.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I hear ya 07, was hoping they'd have a deluxe tourer model we could've test ridden, however the demo was a sweet ride. Very good brakes and road manners.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:24 PM

I'll be attending a demo event in Chatsworth CA tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Let us know your impressions, and if the new Venture will be on display.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:57 PM

Garage
That's great to hear @Keith Post.

My local Yammy dealer acts like test rides are a gift from God. Must be scheduled in advance after you've been to the dealer and 'proved' you're a 'serious buyer'... and you have to provide more ID than an immigrant applying for citizenship, plus a credit card. I've been in there a dozen times, had my bike serviced and worked on, chatted up the sales folk while I waited, and both times I actually indicated an interest in test-riding something it was "Well... maybe three weeks from next Tuesday" and all but "If you guarantee you're going to buy it if the test-ride goes well..." I went through the rigamarole ONCE just because I wanted to try out a Bolt... and the salesman literally called me the next day saying he might be fired if I didn't buy since "I vouched for you on this..."

I hate to bring up an awkward subject but the local HD dealer has it all over them in that regard. Walk in say "I wanna try a ____" and one photo ID and signed waiver later, you're on the road. Truth-time: Yeah, I've taken advantage of that for joy-riding and never bought one from them... BUT I've probably "sold" a half-dozen for them telling friends "yeah, just go in and ask to ride..."

Wish I could do the same for my local Yamaha dealer, but probably kinda the opposite I fear.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was pleasantly surprised at how willing they were for demo rides. All they requested was a valid motorcycle endorsement drivers license and you signed a liability waiver. Every hour on the hour there was a scheduled demo ride with 8-10 different models Yamaha has to offer. The Reps were super nice and we're appreciative that so many turned out. There was no pressure to make a purchase. The sales staff went into detail over the new Venture model we all got to sit on. Again it was a really well structured event. There were several HD, Honda, and Triumph owners that came out to test ride one of the Yamaha models.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Let us know your impressions, and if the new Venture will be on display.

The Venture was on display. No ridding that bike though. I was impressed. It was the red one. Beutiful bike.
It was super hot out there. I wanted to ride the FJ09 2nd, but I was there in the morning and it would have been 3 pm so I bailed.
What I did ride was the V Star 1300 Deluxe. Didn't really feel heavy compared to my Bolt. On the freeway even at an indicated 80 it wasn't buzzy at all so that concern was completely eliminated. Lots of attractive lockable storage. Had a lot of trouble finding neutral when at a stop, but no problem while it was moving. Never did the heel toe shifting before. I could get used to it quick. On the downside, it was boring compared to my Bolt. Granted I have an intake and Ivan's flash on the Bolt, but at least stock the Deluxe felt like it had no "soul". Very ho hum. Seems like a good trip bike compared to my Bolt for a long trip with freeways involved though. Having the Yamaha leather saddlebags without locks on the Bolt is not practical for many situations. Anyhow I've crossed the 1300 off my list. The Raider remains on the list though. I just need to ride one. Pretty sure whatever I buy it will be a Yamaha. I like the Yamis.
2woofs, 2woofs, Keith Post and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Tom HB; 07-16-2017 at 06:59 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:15 PM

I was able to ride the Venture at Star Days in Treasure Island on Thursday. Rode two up with the wife. I normally ride a 1300T. I thought they would give you a little time with the bike but a few curves going out of the parking lot and away we went. My bike was in the Sport mode and it was really responsive like a crotch rocket almost. I think the position of the handle bars and how they steer is different, but got use to them. I was surprised at how fast the bike would rev out. My wife liked the grab handles and the back support. We did not have much time with the bike after the ride, 22 mile ride then turn around for next group.
2woofs, 2woofs, Keith Post and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode