Trip to the Smokies! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By Tstrahan87
  • 4 Post By NCDaveD
  • 4 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 4 Post By alarmguy
  • 2 Post By alarmguy
  • 2 Post By YamaMassGirl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trip to the Smokies!

I can't wait for this trip! I've spent all day today planning out a trip for myself for Labor Day Week. I should have been working today but my boss is out of the office so I've spent all day watching videos and planning my rides for the short vacation time I have off. Probably went way overboard with the details but hey, if you're gonna do something, make sure you do it right! Gonna be spending a week riding around the Smokey Mountains.

Day 1 - Tail of the Dragon and Moonshiner 28
Day 2 - Blue Ridge Parkway and Diamondback (Devil's Whip)
Day 3 - Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway
Day 4 - Devil's Triangle and Road to Nowhere

After Driving from home to the mountains and taking these rides and driving back home, I'm estimating its gonna be about 2500 miles of riding with 6 days! Hopefully it will be a safe and successful trip!

If anybody has a tips on must see stops for any of these roads, please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_152842.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	72177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_152837.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	72185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_151550.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	72193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_153230.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	72201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170711_152827.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	72209  

YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
You are going to have a blast! And you are going to be exhausted from all that riding. Check out some of these rides as well: Motorcycle Rides in The Smoky Mountains | Blue Ridge Parkway

You aren't going to make as many miles as you THINK you are going to, and you aren't leaving much time to stop and see any of the sites. You could spend weeks in this part of NC riding the different routes. But the routes you have chosen so far are great ones to start with.

Blue Ridge Parkway...it took my buddy and I 5 days over 2 weekends to ride it end to end, and we didn't stop at too many overlooks. The southern part of the BRP has more to see than the top half (IMHO), but do it during the week when everybody else is at work. It can get incredibly crowded on the weekends.

Make your reservations early. Hotels are expensive in the mountains. We stayed at: The Waynesville Inn - Home in Waynesville, NC for good price rooms and a GREAT breakfast.

You will see a LOT of fellow riders up there! Be prepared for varying temperatures as you will be making wide elevation changes. Also be ready for rain. Even if it says "no rain".

Be safe. Cage drivers up there are also looking at the scenery and not paying any attention to bikers.

Enjoy! This is some of the most beautiful riding in the country!

****EDIT****** For some reason, the pdf on the site I referenced no longer is there. I uploaded it to Scribd in an effort to make it available. So give this a try: https://www.scribd.com/document/3535...cle-Rides-2016 Good luck!

NCDaveD

2008 Yamaha V Star 1300 Black Cherry

Last edited by NCDaveD; 07-11-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

make sure you leave yourself time for brakes and picture taking and exploring and such. the dragon isn't that long but can take up a good chunk of your time, and the parkway is very slow to navigate for the most part.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 PM
KCW

Garage
Been thinking of making the BRP pilgrimage this august, and to keep on to SC to see the total solar eclipse on August 24th.

If you dont know about the eclipse google it. You can only see it totally blocking out the sun in a fairly narrow path from Oregon to South Carolina. Ive never seen one in my 60 years, and this might be my last chance.

And BTW everyone knows the speed limit on the BlueRidgeParkway is 45 mph for the entire 425+m distance, right?

My father did the trip back when it first opened, in a Ford model A. So I think Im required to do it too.
Tstrahan87 and Tstrahan87 like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm staying with some family near knoxville so the lodging is free! And yeah I tried to plan it out to give several stops and site seeing, also, not doing the entire blue Ridge Parkway, just a piece of it from Asheville up to the diamondback. But thanks for the great tips and info! Hopefully I'll have lots of pictures and go pro footage to share afterwards
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:22 AM

You going to love your time there.
We go every year, sometimes twice, heading there again in another week.
This time we are mixing it up a little and do a bit more "tourist" thing this year, been all over up there year after year have rode all the rodes at least once.
Going to stop in Cashiers and then over to Pigeon Forge.

Blue Ridge by Maggie Valley is really nice, actually the highest point of the entire parkway, Cherohala is really nice too. Yes, of course the Tail and Moonshine 28 good too and have to do it so you can say you did, its more the experience of all the bikes there, people having a good time, other then that, having done the tail countless times to me now (not at first), its just a curvy road that we take to get to "point B" The experience of it is fun though, personally I think some areas of 28 into South Carolina are more challenging but its all great riding, your going to have a blast.. in all our years, I never get tired of this part of the Blue ridge, just love it ... click on photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRP resize.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	72265  

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 07-13-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
You going to love your time there.
We go every year, sometimes twice, heading there again in another week.
This time we are mixing it up a little and do a bit more "tourist" thing this year, been all over up there year after year have rode all the rodes at least once.
Going to stop in Cashiers and then over to Pigeon Forge.

Blue Ridge by Maggie Valley is really nice, actually the highest point of the entire parkway, Cherohala is really nice too. Yes, of course the Tail and Moonshine 28 good too and have to do it so you can say you did, its more the experience of all the bikes there, people having a good time, other then that, having done the tail countless times to me now (not at first), its just a curvy road that we take to get to "point B" The experience of it is fun though, personally I think some areas of 28 into South Carolina are more challenging but its all great riding, your going to have a blast.. in all our years, I never get tired of this part of the Blue ridge, just love it ... click on photo.

Thanks for the insight! I wasn't planning on riding that section of the Blue Ridge this trip, but after finding out it has that overlook at the highest elevation, I definitely have to make it a stop on my list now! Can't wait to hit the road! September 2nd just needs to hurry up and get here now!

Smile! Don''t Kill Anyone!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstrahan87 View Post
Thanks for the insight! I wasn't planning on riding that section of the Blue Ridge this trip, but after finding out it has that overlook at the highest elevation, I definitely have to make it a stop on my list now! Can't wait to hit the road! September 2nd just needs to hurry up and get here now!
Enjoy your trip, no matter where you end up, its all great riding, dont stress about being to get everywhere, its impossible to do in one trip, good news is the more you go, the more you can explore in future years.
If you do the Blue Ridge, make sure to have a coat, even in the heat of August we bring a light jacket at those elevations as it is quite cool if cloudy as you can see by my photo above.
Even the clouds are an adventure, as much of them that day were actually below us and some clouds were blowing right through us and across the road, its so great.
I have photos, countless, hundreds of them of the last several years up there.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm planning on taking my time and just enjoying the ride, We have family that live in Knoxville that is just about an hour or so away from all of these great roads, so I'm definitely probably going to start making multiple trips a year up to this area. This is just the first trip we've made up there since I've owned this bike.

By the way, if anyone that is going to be in the area that week of Labor day and you want to meet up to ride, hit me up and we can plan to meet up somewhere!

Smile! Don''t Kill Anyone!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Garage
OMG I love maps! I'm so jealous. On my cross country trip I took last year I was just along for the ride.

I want to take a similar trip as you. It's on my bucket list, at least that whole areas is, for riding.

Have a blast! Planning is fun.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode