Riders with a EZ (toll) tag - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Riders with a EZ (toll) tag

Got a HCTRA toll tag for my motorcycle & the instructions say to mount it on my windshield. I would prefer to just keep it in my jacket pocket. Do any riders that have one have any problems just putting it in their pocket? Or is mounting on the windshield the only way to use it.

Last edited by mikearc095; 07-17-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM

ideally, you want the large flat surface pointed forward and up, if you have it in your jacket, much like a phone would be, it wouldn't have the best reception angle and might not trigger.
Doesn't mean it won't work, or that you can't do it, but it doesn't only have to be on the windshield, anywhere else would work too, just the sensors are normally mounted above the gate pointed down and slightly back or to the side angled at the car rearview mirror, highspeed lanes they are above the lane pointed normally at a 45. Keep it away from metal though, as much as possibly, especially behind and infront of it.

Mountint it between your forks should work, probably not the best attractive option though.

Actually, my truck has a metal windshield, so it wasn't possible to mount it inside the cab/windshield, for that they had a external sensor mounted on the licenseplate bracket on the front.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 AM
KCW

Garage
Ironically, if you dont want the easy pass to work (if you are pulling a trailer and have to get the ticket stub and pay extra) you have to put the pass in a metalized plastic bag. Otherwise you will pay the cash and the EZ pass will register and charge you twice, even if its in your glove compartment in your car.

Some highways have the sensors on the road and pick up at speed (express lanes and HOV lanes). You dont want to have to pull the thing out of your pocket and wave it in the air.

I wonder what they would tell you to do if you dont have a windshield on your bike?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Ah yes, almost forgot about that.

Not all tollbooths are the same

Most of them picked up my pass just fine on my bumper. There are a few, in NY on i90 that just refused to register it. And some in NJ on i78. The others (all in MA, PA, NJ Tunnel) worked fine no matter how hidden it was, so they would likely pick it up in the glovebox too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:10 AM
KCW

Garage
Washington DC is nuts with the express lanes and EZpass ONLY exists. If you get boxed in on the wrong lane and are forced off an exist without an EZpass, you #*(*$& SCREWED!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
I'm in Houston just like you. Keep my easy tag in saddle bag. Only once has it not picked up in 3 years and that was on 99. They said I must have been moving too fast, who me speed?
mikearc095 and mikearc095 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

my 950 avoids toll charges altogether if i pass through them on the edge of the shoulder or directly on the lane lines.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 AM
KCW

Garage
Since I have a windshield now for longer faster rides, I just purchased one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015UIPMH2...f_=nav_signin&

you could put your EZ pass on it.

If you dont want to stick the EZ pass on your nice windshield, you could also attach the EZpass on top of the steering head assembly, butting up against the handlebar (at least on the 650) with the sticky tape stuff they give you. The first couple times you try it, go through the lanes with a collector, just in case it does not register.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikearc095 View Post
Got a HCTRA toll tag for my motorcycle & the instructions say to mount it on my windshield. I would prefer to just keep it in my jacket pocket. Do any riders that have one have any problems just putting it in their pocket? Or is mounting on the windshield the only way to use it.

Put it under your seat. That is where I have mine and it has been there since I got the bike. The new harris county tolls don't actually read the sensor, it reads your license plate. I don't even have one for my car but I get charged.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM
KCW

Garage
In NY state going through the EZ pass lane with no (working) transponder gets you an auto-generated $50 ticket in the mail.

If you have a transponder and it did not register you can talk your way out of it, but you still get the ticket every time.

Ive never had a transponder not work in any of my cars, but Ive never tried to "hide it" - its always on the windshield or the dash board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode