Miles on your current bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Miles on your current bike

I hit the 50k miles on my bike this past week. I bought my 01 Vstar 1100 Classic used in March 2013 with 1700 miles on it. That was 41 months ago and put 48,300 miles on it, averaging 1178 miles a month since I got it. I have not had a single mechanical issue once I flushed fuel system and rebuilt carbs from bike sitting for over 10 years other than voltage regulator. There has been regular maintenance performed as per owner's manual. On third set of tires, third set of brakes, new cobra exhaust two years ago, risers, new saddle bags, one voltage regulator, two batteries, remote oil filter, lowering link for 1 inch drop and a few other small things. Oh, forgot to mention the four badly timed flat tires I've had. I change oil every 4k using Valvoline 20-50 motorcycle oil. It sure does seem like I've changed oil more than 12 times but that is what the math says. I've never had to add oil between changes. K&N air filter I clean about once a year. About once every 4 to 6 weeks I do what I call my nut and bolt check. What I do is check every nut and bolt for tightness. It's amazing how quickly things can become loose, Houston roads are full of pot holes. When I'm tightening things up I clean everything good. I would like to know what year of bike you have, when did you get it, how many miles on it and any repairs other than regular maintenance items you have had to do. I'm doing this to find out about how much longer I can expect trouble free miles if I use the maintenance schedule. I put over 100k on a Honda CB750F in the 80's and expect that much plus on my Star.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 08-06-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 PM

Garage
Miles on your current bike

My 2007 VStar 1300 has 70k miles but I've only put 3.5k on it. Still feels like a brand new bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Jghake
2007 VStar 1300
1982 Virago 750

Last edited by Jghake; 08-06-2017 at 09:35 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Garage
Got a way to go to catch up to you les. Bought my 2000 1100 last Nov with 16,000 miles on it. I now have almost 22,000 on it but it was parked for the winter almost from the time I bought it until April. Aside from a rectifier burning out, no other problems worth noting. Put on new tires and and changed the oil twice so far. Still rides like a new bike.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 09:00 PM

Garage
650 silverado 63,000 mi

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Garage
2012 V Star 950 -- bought late June with 4001 miles on it. I've only put a few hundred on since then.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:46 AM

Well, after a couple of years there is only 800 miles on the 2014 650 Custom, and about 2,000 miles on the 2014 Honda CB500FA, as a permanently crushed upper spine (C-1 through C-6) prevents me from going any great distance... after 45-60 minutes of riding, my pain level forces me to return home and back to bed, but hey, I'm having a blast nonetheless! And when I'm not on two wheels I have a lot of fun cruising around Fogo Island in the convertible. (has about 35,000 miles on it)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:35 AM
KCW

Garage
Glenn, I notice neither one of your bikes has a drivers backrest. Have you ridden a bike with one, because it makes a big difference between sitting up straight and holding your back muscles tight, and having even just a little bit of something to lean back into. Even if its only in the small of your back, I will not ride more than 30 minutes without mine on the bike now.

I dont have any back problems, but a couple hours of sitting up like Im on a bar stool is just no fun.
Recent photo of my bike at bottom of thread here: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...tml#post861154

My bike just rolled over 33k miles, 24,000 of which I put on myself

that means I am now within 900 miles of my first lap around the earth on a MC

or 4 trips from NY to California and back.

Last edited by KCW; 08-07-2017 at 06:42 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Glenn, I notice neither one of your bikes has a drivers backrest. Have you ridden a bike with one, because it makes a big difference between sitting up straight and holding your back muscles tight, and having even just a little bit of something to lean back into. Even if its only in the small of your back, I will not ride more than 30 minutes without mine on the bike now. I dont have any back problems, but a couple hours of sitting up like Im on a bar stool is just no fun.
KCW, the spine damage is limited to high up in my neck, starting at C-1, almost up to the base of the brain stem, (and down to C-6) so any extra back muscle action has surprisingly little to do with aggravating the issue... which is why I am still able to ride a bike at all. I have thought, though, about adding a backrest to the V-Star, (but I am just not too excited about the look) as after riding the Honda I do find the V-Star's seating position to be less comfortable... I guess I am just accustomed to having my feet parked way back under my butt rather than way forward. With the footpegs under my butt, it helps take any pressure off my back altogether. It feels like I am slouching on the Star, but on the Honda I feel like I am sitting up nice and straight-backed, which is weird considering it's a sporty bike... but I bought the Honda after a lot of research, and trying a lot of bikes on for size, and I discovered that the CB500FA, with its nice high handlebars, means that I am not leaning forward as one would expect on a sporty bike, but rather I sit quite upright with no pressure at all on my wrists/arms... and more importantly no pressure on my "un-slouched" spine. My friends/neighbours think I'm crazy when I try to explain that the sporty bike is actually easier on my back than the cruiser is. Haha.

Even so, on either bike my limit is an hour, tops. But let me tell you... that hour of riding around this incredibly scenic island in the North Atlantic is a LOT better than if I had spent it where I am most of the time since my workplace accident 13 years ago... laying flat on my back in bed staring at the ceiling!

But as time goes on, I am having more health issues which are making it more difficult to keep at least some level of mobility. Last year I was diagnosed with severe PMR, (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) a crippling disease which causes intense pain/inflammation of the joints; in my case mainly in my shoulders. (luckily I am now able to keep it somewhat under control with meds) And just recently I have developed severe arthritis in my right hip, to the point that it is now extremely difficult/painful for me to roll over in bed, or climb the stairs. And I have noticed over the past few weeks that it is getting more and more difficult to throw my leg over either bike. But I don't plan to give up riding any time soon. Yes, it may be getting harder and harder to get out on the bikes, but I'm having way too much fun to quit!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:30 PM

Garage
I think my vStar 1300 is around 24k, but my Daily Commuter FZ1 just hit 90k last week.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:58 AM

2003 Vstar 650 17,000 miles. I just got it so I personally have only put about 300 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode