V-Star 950 Tourer Starting Issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By NGM
  • 2 Post By baron58

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

V-Star 950 Tourer Starting Issues

I've got an '09 Vstar I bought now in 2011. It has been a great bike. Took it to New Orleans last year and that's when the problem started. Pulled in and filled up with fuel. Hit the starter button and it was half crank, and then nothing. After a minute or two it would go ahead and turn over and start. I put a brand new Interstate battery in it this spring. It is getting to the point where I am having to push start it every time. The starter sounds odd when it works. I haven't had the new battery checked, but not sure this is the problem. It runs perfectly fine otherwise with no indication that the charging system isn't working. No check engine lights, either. Any pointers would be appreciated! Thanks.

I smell sewer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:21 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Test the battery first. The next thing is make sure there is little to no voltage drop to the starter. If all that is good make sure you are getting a full 12v signal on the small wire on the starter. If that is good replace the starter. Good luck.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:42 PM

If it's like mine, try starting it only in neutral vs holding in the clutch. Mine struggles and half the time won't start with the clutch held in, but in natural it has no issues at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 AM

Garage
Battery connections battery connections..... 9 times out of ten over the years this question always pops up ans it turns out that the batter connections are loose. They loosen up on their own. Have had it happen on my 950 and 1300.

It takes a good tight connection to deliver the high amperage current required by the starter, lower current items will usually work fine with looser connections. Those connections need to be checked several times a season
KCW and KCW like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:48 AM
KCW

Garage
"Battery connections battery connections"

ditto - and dont forget where the black battery wire attaches to the frame (where you cant see it) and where the wires attach to the starter.

If they look corroded take them off and introduce them to Mr Dremil and Ms Sanding Drum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode