950 starting problems - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
950 starting problems

I have a V star 950 (2012), it takes two three tries or even more to start the engine and sometimes don't start at all(it do crank but sound like something is stuck), if the engine is hot (after riding). Then I have to wait a little bit and usually it starts after waiting 10mins or so. I have no problem starting in the morning or when engine is cold. Do anybody know the possible cause
Eric how is your bike behaving, is it the same like mine or is it don't like to start any time

I KNOW U KNOW

Last edited by Taimoor Hassan; 08-13-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taimoor Hassan View Post
I have a V star 950 (2012), it takes two three tries or even more to start the engine and sometimes don't start at all(it do crank but sound like something is stuck), if the engine is hot (after riding). Then I have to wait a little bit and usually it starts after waiting 10mins or so. I have no problem starting in the morning or when engine is cold. Do anybody know the possible cause
Eric how is your bike behaving, is it the same like mine or is it don't like to start any time
Will it start with he gas cap off when it is hot? Could be a vapor lock issue due to the fuel tank not venting properly.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I never had a vapor lock issue in my whole life, but yeah it may be the case. But with fuel injection chances are low. I will try with gas cap off (usually this happens with me at fuel station when i stop for refueling after ride).
When its hot, it don't crank properly (may be half crank n then stuck n all lights go off), not like no fuel when you keep cranking and engine don't start but it do crank.

I KNOW U KNOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
I never had a vapor lock issue in my whole life, but yeah it may be the case. But with fuel injection chances are low. I will try with gas cap off (usually this happens with me at fuel station when i stop for refueling after ride).
When its hot, it don't crank properly (may be half crank n then stuck n all lights go off), not like no fuel when you keep cranking and engine don't start but it do crank.
Actually the vapor lock I am talking about is fairly common on V Stars, has nothing to do with the fuel injection. Somehow usually after the gas tank has been moved or lifted, a vent gets pinched and the tank becomes under a vacuum causing the fuel pump to cavatate and not able to deliver fuel to the engine.

You situation sounds like something else. Like others suggested, put a volt meter on the battery when the engine is running, you should get 14.5 volts. Also see how far the battery voltage drops when you start.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I tried with gas cap off but it didn't help. My battery is not very good but still it works fine if engine is not hot.
Battery readings are as follow.

before starting = 13.85V
1st try = Volt drops to 7.8 (after continuous crank 5s) but returns to 13.5 when I stop.
2nd try = Volt drops to 7.5, returns to 12.95 after I stop.
3rd try = Volt drops to 7.0, returns to 12.65 after I stop.

But if it starts Volt only drops to 10.5, not less than 10.

I KNOW U KNOW
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
I tried with gas cap off but it didn't help. My battery is not very good but still it works fine if engine is not hot.
Battery readings are as follow.

before starting = 13.85V
1st try = Volt drops to 7.8 (after continuous crank 5s) but returns to 13.5 when I stop.
2nd try = Volt drops to 7.5, returns to 12.95 after I stop.
3rd try = Volt drops to 7.0, returns to 12.65 after I stop.

But if it starts Volt only drops to 10.5, not less than 10.

During cranking the battery voltage should not drop below 10 volts for up to 20 seconds.

Are you saying during cranking that leads to a successful start, the voltage drops only to 10.5 during the crank? If so sounds like something is drawing the battery down, like a bad starter motor
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 PM

If the starter motor is stressed (it is having a really hard time spinning the motor), it will drop low also.

Basically the above proves it's not a loose connection.

Maybe oil, but I doubt it. Especially if it is in neutral when starting.
Besides the starter, I can only thing of having higher than normal compression.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Garage
Just to isolate the problem, you might want to go to an auto-parts store and have them load test the battery just to make sure nothing flaky is going on, but I am guessing the starter is the issue.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron58 View Post
During cranking the battery voltage should not drop below 10 volts for up to 20 seconds.

Are you saying during cranking that leads to a successful start, the voltage drops only to 10.5 during the crank? If so sounds like something is drawing the battery down, like a bad starter motor
Yes if it starts in that case voltage doesn't drops less than 10V. I will check my battery at some store. It may be a starter motor but what makes me confuse is that it starts good in morning or whenever engine is not hot.
I thought about starting with new battery, if problem is not solved than start looking for something else but I also don't want new battery as its almost end of riding season here in Chicago.

I KNOW U KNOW
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdk View Post
If the starter motor is stressed (it is having a really hard time spinning the motor), it will drop low also.

Basically the above proves it's not a loose connection.

Maybe oil, but I doubt it. Especially if it is in neutral when starting.
Besides the starter, I can only thing of having higher than normal compression.
What about Oil, it may be the case because I changed the oil n oil filter in April,2017. The oil filter was bad so I replaced the filter without draining oil except for what came out with filter, so I added some oil after installing new filter.

I KNOW U KNOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode