Shield or nah? Just curious - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
JPR

Shield or nah? Just curious

I have never ridden with a windshield. But I don't take long rides, either.

I enjoy the feeling of the wind pushing against my face, chest, and arms, and I feel like a windshield, though it would make riding both easier and safer, would take that away. I've been caught in rain, snow, and even hail in my short little rides, but nothing brutal enough to make me want to change my ways. Is there a dramatic difference for riders like myself who are rarely on the bike more than 60 minutes at a time?

[I'm also old and stubborn.]

So I'm really just curious if those who have ridden both ways have a preference, and why.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:05 PM

For me, I prefer it without. But I do a lot of highway driving, and there I do like it.

The difference for me is when going at highway speeds, you feel the wind in your gut, hitting your lower body a lot, and end up leaning way forward. With the windshield this isn't an issue and you keep a normal position. Though with a windshield you get it shaking your helmet at first, till you get it all dialed in.

This is why I do like the quickrelease. I can use the windshield when I am driving to work, and take it off for the other times.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 PM
KCW

Garage
I put one on my 650 about three weeks ago, so I can ride > 60mph without needing to hang on for dear life.

its really a matter of windspeed. If you are going 60 into a 20mph headwind, its exactly like going 80mph.

The thing to keep in mind is this: when you go twice as fast the wind resistance is four times as much.

Like Patrick, on the highway I prefer the WS, going less than 60mph I prefer pulling it off.

I got a Memphis Shades Fats whindshield, the quick release trigger mounts, and a set of fork deflectors to control the head buffeting for a total of about $500, and put them on myself.

If you want to you can adjust the angle so you are sitting in nearly dead air at any speed, which might be better for going slower when its cold (below 50F) in the spring and early winter.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, a large windshield like mine takes a noticeable amount of power to push aside the wind. I can really feel the difference in the response of the bike, esp going fast, you really have to crank the throttle to get the bike up to speed.

With it on and off its like having two different motorcycles.

Last edited by KCW; 08-14-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 PM

Garage
I went with a Memphis Shades fairing and lower deflectors. The fairing has quick release brackets and it can be removed in 2 minutes. If riding around the neighborhood I go w/o the fairing. On the Hwy or above 50mph I use the fairing as it has a 12" tall curved windshield. Can't count the times pebbles and bugs have been deflected off of hands and face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
Is there a dramatic difference for riders like myself who are rarely on the bike more than 60 minutes at a time?
Based on that alone, no, don't bother with a screen.

I have a half screen on my daily commuter and it is no big deal to have the wind blast.

My vStar has a screen and when doing 500 miles a day, it is nice to have.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:48 PM

Garage
I have a quick release on mine and while I do take it off if I'm out for a short ride, it stays on most of the time. For one thing, I wear a half helmet and it stops a lot of kamikaze bugs from splattering on my face. But the big thing is at speeds over 60mph. Without the windshield I'm hanging on for dear life as the wind stretches my arms. I don't get any of that with the windshield. Never had a bike with one before and when I first got the bike, the first thing I did was take it off because it looks so much better without it. I figured it would spend most of its time tucked away in the shed, but now I'm glad I have it and I'll have one on whatever I ride from now on.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Garage
I commute daily on my bike. Summer time without windshield as it's cooler. Winter time with windshield for weather protection. It's almost I get a new bike when I put it on or off, at least to me, as the ride is that much different. By the way, my mileage got up without windshield, it does poke a big hole in the air and that takes power.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 PM

Garage
If you do highway miles, WS is very nice to have. Without one on highway I feel like I am in continuous struggle to hang on bike

I KNOW U KNOW
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 PM

Garage
I've taken my shield off a few times this summer. I do like the way my 950 looks totally naked, but windshield (and saddlebags) are not only luxurious, but kinda necessary in my opinion. If I have to hop on the highway for a stint, or ride home at night, it's nice not to be "hanging on for dear life", as other's have stated, or getting bug guts all over my shoulders and face shield.

I would actually like a shorty shield, you know, just something to take the wind blast off the chest. If the riding position were different I wouldn't mind the highway blast as much. If my feet were below me or slightly behind me then it would be less straining to lean into the wind. Like for instance I don't think I would mind wind blast while riding a super naked sport bike, but a cruiser is different. My 950 has me inclined to reclining, and relaxing, just chillin' and enjoying the ride.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.

Last edited by YamaMassGirl; 08-14-2017 at 08:28 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

this is kind of like asking how they like electricity or indoor plumbing from someone who has never experienced it. you've gotten along fine without such luxuries this far so you're fine without using a windshield, but it sure is nice to have. especially if you choose to get a big screen TV.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode