Battery or Regulator - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Battery or Regulator

the battery is not charging after a long ride my battery monitor said not charging. the battery tested with the bike off is 12.2 volts it's drained a little. withe the engine running it only goes up .2 volts. i tested the stator using the volt setting on the meter and all three wires show 60+ volts. and no continuity to ground.so it's either the rec, reg. or the battery. or a bad connection somewhere. i haven't tested the reg. rec. yet. so if only 12+ volts are coming from the reg. would'nt that be the bad part and not the battery?would a bad ground prevent a battery from receiving full voltage from the reg.rec.

Last edited by nick57; 08-27-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 PM

It could be a bad battery, but unlikely. If you charge the battery up using an external charger, battery tender or soemthing. Then test it, and show no changes, it is not the battery. If an external charger is not able to charge the battery, the battery is likely bad, but I don't believe this is true in this case.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

i think the battery is fine. it was at 12.5 volts before the ride and it cranks the bike good.it is ten years old. i'm having it tested tomorrow. the ohm meter attached to the battery terminals only read 12.5 volts. is that the volts coming from the regulator or is that the volts that are going into the battery. i can find no information that says a regulator can put out low volts everything says they fail and put out to many volts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:20 PM

It can fail any number of ways. The normal case for the regulator on these bikes is to fail with high voltage.

If the rectifier fails, you normally loose 1/3 of your power, so it will just not recharge the battery good, and since it isn't recharging as fast, will look like low voltage. This is just annoying to diagnose with a volt meter. You need to test each of the 3 rectifier parts to see if one has failed.

But I believe all these bikes, the regulator and rectifiers come in the same package, so it's just replacing that one part.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

thats exactaly what is happening. i need to drop the pipes and check the regulator.

Last edited by nick57; 09-05-2017 at 05:13 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

I took the regulator out and did a check of the diodes one failed. i ordered a regulator for a 2005 roadstar and now it's charging at 14.1 volts. i don't know why it's not in the middle 14s but it's working. i did solder the stator leads. Also replaced the battery.With one diode failing it was charging at 12.5 to 13 volts, enough to maintain the battery. If i did'nt have a battery monitor i would'nt have known about the problem and would have eventually got stranded.

Last edited by nick57; 09-05-2017 at 05:21 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:59 AM

It won't get up to 14.4-14.8 till you are running the engine up around 3-4k rpm
At idle you should have 13.6-13.8v
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:21 AM
KCW

Garage
did the diode fail as an open circuit (infinite resistance) or as a short (near zero ohms)?

Just curious.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

at idle i forget, as i increase the rpms to 3,000 the volts climb to 14.09.
i put the meter setting to diode, two pins say 1 and the third moves to 012, thats with the red lead on the positive pin and i get the same reading with the red lead to the negative pin.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:21 PM

Garage
the battery is easy just load test it. any store that sells them will usually load test it for free

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode