Painting batwing fairing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Painting batwing fairing

I have a Memphis Shades Batwing Fiaring that I'm considering doing this myself. I don't have a lot of experience with spray paint, but do have a little. I also don't have a compressor/sprayer set up so I would do this with aerosol cans.

I figure the worst that can happen is I don't do a good job and have to get a body shop to do the work over again. The materials to do it myself aren't cheap - and if I have it redone, it would be lost money. On the other hand, if it goes well, I've saved a few bucks, and learned a new skill in the process.

I do have a set of wind deflectors on the bike, so I could start with those, and if it goes horribly, I could just go the body shop route at that point.

Has anyone done this? Is painting something like this particularly difficult to do and have it come out good?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2012 V-Star 950 (Ultimate Seat and Backrest, Cobra Slip On, Cobra PowerFlo Intake, Cobra PowerPro FMS, Klevver clutch, LidLox, Batwing Fairing w/7" windshield, Viking HardSide bags)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 AM

https://youtu.be/yAxLZeeYcms

This is a 150$ paint job.....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 07:48 AM

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Garage
I think the directions in this post are fantastic ---->> http://xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=18

Definitely wear a mask if you use the 2k Clear. (It looks good and will be rock hard. Do 3 coats of regular rattle can clear first. I really like Rustoleum.)

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM

Garage
When I do my batwing, when I get one, I may have the custom paid to shop mix me something to match my cherry red metallic. Not sure if cans available will match spot on... background primer color has an effect especially with metallic imo. Think I will need a white or very light Grey primer to get more brilliance.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:39 PM

Garage
Chris Fix on youtube has some good videos on painting with spray cans.
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Garage
Had mine done at an auto shop. Took the guy a few tries (spray outs even with the "gun" that "reads" paint) to match the paint on the bike. I had both the fairing done and (two tone) hard bags. Can't recall what I spent, but it came out very well.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got quotes from two different shops to have this professionally done. Because it's a tri-coat paint, just to do the fairing, one shop was $500, and talking to the guy, he said he wouldn't give me any kind of guarantee on the paint because it's painting a non-metal part. He really didn't seem confident in his work at all. Even if his bid had been affordable, there is no way I would let him touch the job. The other shop I didn't get as far as having him do a full quote, he looked at it and told me the quote would definitely be over 800, and asked if I wanted him to work up a full quote. I thanked him for his time and told him that was out of budget for me.

At that point, I decided I'm going to give doing this myself a shot. I've done a bunch of research on how to do this. I'll take my time, go slow, do the best I can. I'm reasonably confident that I'll end up with results that I'll be happy with. To get a feel for decent technique, I did a small test project painting a waste paper basket with cheap spray paint from the local home improvement store. It really came out pretty good, and if I had taken the time to do all of the appropriate prep work it would have been great.

So I'm going the spray can approach, and getting materials from ColorRite. It's not cheap paint, and you have to have enough on hand to do the full job in one day, so there is a bit more of an initial lay out in cash that was a few dollars more than expected, but it's the way I need to do it. You can't run out of paint, and decide you need a little more, order it and paint - you would have to start over completely. I did the spray test on a piece of card stock over the weekend, and found out it's going to take quite a bit of paint to do this. I'm planning 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of the base color, 4 coats of top coat/final color, and 2 coats of clear. That's a total of 10 coats. Granted each coat is light to avoid drips and keep things even. To make sure I've got enough paint, I've gone back and ordered a little more than I did on first order. Fortunately I can return unused cans for a 25% restocking fee. I may end up returning several unused cans, and I may end up returning none.

What I will have on hand prior to starting painting:
Primer: 2 cans
Base Coat: 2 cans
Top Coat: 3 cans
Clear Coat: 1 can

There are other various things I've got on hand after researching online how to do this, like automotive masking tape, wax and grease remover and tack cloth. Most of these came with a kit purchased from ColorRite. I'll take pictures along the way, and post here how things go. That will probably in a different full write up thread.

If the second order from ColorRite arrives in time, and the weather cooperates, I'm hoping to do this later in the week.

2012 V-Star 950 (Ultimate Seat and Backrest, Cobra Slip On, Cobra PowerFlo Intake, Cobra PowerPro FMS, Klevver clutch, LidLox, Batwing Fairing w/7" windshield, Viking HardSide bags)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Garage
MattF, I painted mine today. I am too tired tonight to put a thread up, but perhaps will tomorrow. My local custom aerosol shop mixed the color and I think it's pretty close. I used a 2K clear for the last 3 clear coats. -- Good luck with yours. Will look forward to your outcome!
MattF and MattF like this.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 PM

I have always given up on spray painting myself. When I have done it, I think it turned out good though. The issue is, everywhere I have lived is really high dust areas, always construction around. Impossible to paint anything without getting dust in it.

Think the last time I actually painted something was 25years ago. Man, that makes me sound really old. The KZ400 I rebuilt from nothing. Still have a few extra parts from it floating around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode