self-driving cars discussion - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
self-driving cars discussion

Arizona doesn't require turn signals on motorcycles. You can legally run without them, although you are supposed to use hand signals if you don't have flashers. I think that some of the motorcycle jacket airbags I've seen might work technically, but getting people to actually buy and use them might be an uphill battle.

With all the talk about self-driving cars (an idea I hate, btw), I wonder if a self-driving motorcycle will be ever be invented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Beth View Post
With all the talk about self-driving cars (an idea I hate, btw), I wonder if a self-driving motorcycle will be ever be invented.
why would you want to send your motorcycle out driving around by its self?!

That would be like making a robot that goes to a restaurant and eats a nice meal, and then goes home with a beautiful woman...

from the comments I have seen about autonomous cars, they are targeting people that do not LIKE to drive.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, I don't want my motorcycle to drive itself, nor do I want my car to do so. But they're going to push that down our throats (for cars at least) whether we want it or not. Mark my words, there will be a day in the future when all cars will be mandated to be self-driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 PM

I wonder if we will be able to drive our motorcycles in the hypertubes
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 AM
KCW

Garage
the people that are pushing cars to drive by themselves, with no one in the car, are talking out of their butts.

Esp companies like Uber, who are saying people will buy cars that are self driving, and then Uber-them out and make money when they are not using their cars. Uber does NOT pay their drivers for the cost of the use of their vehicles. It costs about 50 a mile to drive a car in the US, and all Uber pays is less than min wage for the drivers time. Uber drivers are being scammed. If you add in the cost a fully autonomous car then Uber would have to charge twice as much as a taxi cab to pay for the expensive car and the cost of wearing it out.

The technology sweet point will be for cars that are able to assist a driver to avoid accidents, keeping the driver engaged with his hands on the controls - more like a co-pilot than an auto pilot. Many cars are getting close to this now, advanced cruise control with collision avoidance and auto brakes. An excellent example is that Volvo truck in europe that was hijacked in Germany, and the terrorist tried to drive it through a christmas open market. As soon as the truck detected it was about to hit something, it put the brakes on and would not move. A handful of people were injured when hundreds could have been killed.

If someone does not want to drive their car, its cheaper to take a taxi or a bus.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was reading a Gizmodo.com article about self driving cars and the point was made that the biggest use case for a truly autonomous fleet of cars, outside of long distance trucking, would be cities that bought fleets of them (or large manufacturers/companies) and rented them out for intra-city travel. Similar to the way that bicycles are available in some major cities for anyone that wants to rent them, a self driving car would come get you and then return to its base. Outside of that, I don't see the technology ever becoming truly widespread. Semi-autonomous cars would be practical in exactly the way you mentioned though.

I don't honestly see self-driving motorcycles ever becoming a real thing. I doubt that the people that ride motorcycles would ever embrace the technology (I wouldn't at least), and anyone that doesn't ride would never opt to just to get the self driving capability. Now assisted riding might be something that could take off. More intelligent sensory perception, heads up displays that showed useful information, that sort of thing could be useful.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
As much as I hate to admit it, these things are closer than we all think. I heard a report today on them (yeah, I listen to a lot of public radio) and Dominos has a self driving delivery car in some city (can't remember which one). The technology is there, it's just a matter of getting the infrastructure in place. Here in Canada it's legal in Ontario for companies to test them, and I believe they said 17 US states are doing it. It's coming, like it or not and their mantra is that 10,000 car accidents every day can be prevented, if you trust all that technology.

It's coming, and as someone else stated, it's only a matter of time before it will be illegal to actually drive your own car anymore. Sad.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was riding on the way to work this morning and there's about a ten mile stretch this time of the year where I'm riding directly into the sun, which is just above the horizon. It's very difficult to see anything in that kind of glare, much less a person's hand. I can't really even see cars' brake lights. Now, at night, it would be different of course.

I agree that autonomous cars are going to get here eventually, even if people don't want them. I also foresee the day when there will be at least some lanes of traffic dedicated to these vehicles, like we currently have HOV lanes. I can't see a time when "manual" cars will ever be truly outlawed, but they may be restricted to specific roads at some point.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:22 AM

I see autonomous cars ending up as nothing more than a novelty much like the Segway... remember when that technology was going to revolutionize personal transport? The problem with autonomous cars is that they rely on software. Software is never bug free or hacker proof. The first few incidences in which an autonomous car is the cause of a few fatalities and there's no one to blame and sue for damages will be their undoing. Hopefully then people who want to get somewhere but don't want to drive will accept that a solution has been in place in many European countries for a long time... public transportation.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 09-22-2017 at 06:25 AM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:53 AM

Garage
Autonomous cars may cause me to stay out at the pubs longer. just pour me in the back seat. "Home Charles".

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode