Cold Weather Riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cold Weather Riding

Let me start off by saying I hate the cold. In Houston this morning it was 50 and I dressed like it was freezing on my commute. Here is the picture my wife took of me this morning:

As you can see I really dress warm. The real issue I have is the temperature swing. It was 78 when I rode home. It's like this morning I had on my heavy Cortech jacket, leathers, gortex boots and was comfortable. Then coming home, liner out of jacket, but still got hot, with sweating feet. I'm lazy and dislike taking two jackets, change of clothes, etc. Maybe someone can share how do you handle big temperature swings without taking your closet with you. Do the heated vests work very well? I know this is a weird topic but very important to a lazy and cold natured daily commuter so please chime in.
starfirst and starfirst like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Garage
It's been colder than that here when I leave for work for the last 2 weeks. Gets up to maybe 65F when I go home. I'm still wearing my same leather jacket and perforated gloves. If it gets much colder I may have to break out the solid leather ones though. lol

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Garage
It was about 40 this morning. I wore my leather jacket and thick skiing pants, was expecting worse but surprisingly it was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 PM

Garage
I'm in Phoenix so the temperature swing is different (60 in the morning, 95-100 by the afternoon) but the concept is the same. In the morning it's leather chaps, boots, gloves, mask, and liner in the jacket. By the afternoon it's jeans, no liner, no gloves (or mesh gloves). Come this winter, it'll be even colder in the morning (down to about 30) but still in the 70s to 80s in the afternoon. Then i'll wear full pants to work, leather jacket, and lined gloves with a mask under my helmet. Then in the afternoon it'll be the bare minimum for protection. Saddle bags become winter clothing storage.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Maybe someone can share how do you handle big temperature swings without taking your closet with you.
bring a backpack, saddlebags, luggage, etc. to shed your warm stuff for the ride home. i always ride with a backpack to work and if it's already filled with other things, i'll strap my jacket to the pack.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 AM
KCW

Garage
My temperature threshold is 277K, which sounds much better than 41F or 4.4C

I tuck my demin jeans in my wool socks and put on a second pair that is one size larger in the waist. The inner jeans go in the boots, the outer jeans go over.

My tour master jacket has a windbreaker and an insulation liner. I keep those two zipped together and wear them under the textile outer layer. Good pair of gloves, and a ski neck sock over my neck and chin, and Im good down to about 40F.

When its nice in the afternoon the second pair of pants and the jacket liner go in the trunk/saddle bag. I do feel the cold, and at most my hands get cold but not numb.

Having a large windshield and fork deflectors on the bike certainly helps.

Im only hitting 45mph max on my commute. If you are riding the highways google the wind-chill graphs, its exponential with speed... so if you are riding 80mph in the cold, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by KCW; 10-18-2017 at 08:14 AM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM

Must just be me than, at 50F on the highway at 80mph I only wear a windbreaker overtop my air mesh summer jacket. I don't need anything to stay warm, and either leather gloves or winter gloves. Just take off the windbreaker and wear the mesh jacket for the ride home in >70F
My commute is 75miles all highway.

Below 50F on the highway I'll put on a lined jacket, or I'll go with an underlayer with a windbreaker, and an under or over layer for the pants. Really depends on where I'm going what I wear, and if I need to protect myself from rain.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Whine View Post
Yeeaaahhhh.....

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

I'm the same - at 50 degrees, I'm still wearing jeans and my vented coat with gloves, I don't use my liner or chaps until it's under 50. If I do have extra gear for the ride home, it goes in my saddlebags or tour pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Clif ~

'07 Roadliner Midnight (Kuryakyn RTB controller/Cobra Dragsters/FI2000/sissy bar/drivers' backrest)

'09 950T - Black Cherry (chrome belt guard/chrome lower side cover/oem passing lamps/Spyker airbox mod/MCC seat mods/oem medium shield)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW what a ride!"
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I do almost what everyone has suggested. I'm cold natured and lazy. I will continue to do my layers and fill my saddle bags with clothing not needed. For those of you that ride with just a mesh jacket in the 50s you are tougher than me. My commute is just 25 miles with about 10 miles on interstate, it's that 10 miles that chills me. I leave the house at 5am so little to no traffic and my speed is only limited by my hand, usually 75 or so, depends if I'm running on time.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Whine View Post
Not the word I would've chosen.
LOL, I had that thought a few posts back and I resisted.....
Red Whine and Red Whine like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode