Demo ride of 2018 Yamaha Venture - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By MattF
  • 2 Post By road_slug
  • 2 Post By MattF
  • 2 Post By nurtaeff
  • 2 Post By road_slug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Demo ride of 2018 Yamaha Venture

I got to ride the new Venture today.

My first impressions were it's big - really big. At a weight of around 950 pounds, it's a good 300# heavier than my VStar. The saddle bags are quite sizable. The trunk bag alone could swallow up 2 full face helmets with room to spare.

Yamaha did a great job reigning in all that weight into a manageable package. It's surprisingly nimble. The demo included a few long sweeping turns, and it handled them quite easily. It also handled turns at intersections quite well.

There was more than enough power to push around all that weight, however the annoying part for me was the rev limiter. It kicks in at only 4750 rpm, and feels bogged down at anything less than 2500. This isn't a big window at all. If you're going to accelerate, be prepared for fast shifts.

It is comfortable - with a slight back rest for the driver, and of course a full back rest for the passenger. The handlebars felt a bit close in to my body, however the floorboards were far enough forward to feel comfortable and roomy. For me, I'd have to replace the seat with something that has a more substantial backrest for the driver. (I have an ultimate seat on my bike now, and will likely have them on any and all future bikes I have. I have a really bad back, so I need more support than most)

The screen for infotainment and GPS navigation is barely large enough to be usable. There is definitely room on the fairing for a larger screen, but it's not utilized. I was told by one of the yamaha reps that the touch screen would work well even with gloves on - any gloves you have, no need for touch enabled.

Overall, I enjoyed the ride, but it's definitely not for me. The workable RPM range is something I'm sure I'd get used to, but it seems like something I shouldn't have to get used to. Also for me, although it's designed well and handles the size surprisingly well, it's just too big. However, if I were planning a cross country ride, it's a bike I would definitely consider.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2012 V-Star 950 (Ultimate Seat and Backrest, Cobra Slip On, Cobra PowerFlo Intake, Cobra PowerPro FMS, Klevver clutch, LidLox, Batwing Fairing w/7" windshield, Viking HardSide bags)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 AM

Good honest review. So what's the price tag for a machine like that?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_slug View Post
I think they start around 26K. They also have the "Eluder" which is the same bike, but with fewer features, like no trunk and no park assist, fixed fairing height instead of adjustable that starts 3-4K lower.

2012 V-Star 950 (Ultimate Seat and Backrest, Cobra Slip On, Cobra PowerFlo Intake, Cobra PowerPro FMS, Klevver clutch, LidLox, Batwing Fairing w/7" windshield, Viking HardSide bags)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_slug View Post

Starts at 25k for basic package add 2k more for touring package. I rode both Venture and Eluder on a demo day in September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:27 AM

The Eluder sounds like some sport bike name!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode