Passenger (wife) comfort - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Passenger (wife) comfort

My wife takes several day trips (200 - 400 miles) a year with me. She has always complained about back rest and foot pegs. She said the back rest hit her in a bad spot on her back and was not comfortable. We have looked at others but were too high on her back or just not right. We even rode around a while ago to several dealers and she sat on every bike with a back rest and none were right, yes she is picky 🤐. She kept saying she just wanted our back rest up a few inches. I thought about making some brackets but never came up with an idea that would look right. So I'm in the garage with the pad off and have her sit on bike to get the height right. I'm moving it up and down to find the right spot for her. Then she says, "right there, perfect". I'm trying to grab something to mark the spot and look where the top holes are for the pad to bolt to bracket and they line up! I put the two bolts in and push back and forth, it real solid with just the two bolts in it. She leans back and said perfect. Then she threw something about being so simple and why didn't I do it sooner. Yes I keep me cool and kept my mouth closed.😎 See pictures below. I won't leave it like this all the time as it looks kinda cheesy, it's a 2 minute fix when we go together. Now to the foot pegs. I was always complaining about putting her shoes on the exhaust and leaving marks. She recommended moving the pegs out about an inch. I found some longer bolts, put three nuts on for spacers, leaving enough thread to bolt back in original hole. At first I was concerned about bolt strength but after putting all my weight on peg and jumping up and down I comfortable it's good. I put some wire loom covering on the nuts so you don't see them. And I put some paint on the bolt head so it blends in. Please give me feed back as how it looks. I hate things to look like they don't belong or it's rigged.

Front view of back rest moved up.

Back of raised back rest raised.

Foot pegs showing nuts used as spacers.

Finished foot peg mod.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 PM

Dude, I feel for you having gone through the same issue with my previous wives and girlfriends. If you've found a combination that your wife is happy with then IMHO go with it no matter what the aesthetics are. Strap a Barcolounger to the back if it makes the wife happy.

Granted, you may want to take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm a divorcee many times over but my favorite girlfriends are the ones who ride their own bikes... they get to set up their bikes the way they want and I get to keep mine the way I want and everyone is happy.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 10-25-2017 at 08:44 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I think it looks good as far as the foot pegs go. For the backrest I would be very tempted to put some sort of bag on it to make use of the top 2 holes so it does not look like it was moved up.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 PM

Garage
I think it looks good and if she’s happy, you’ll be happy. Well done I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
NGM, I like the idea of a small bag, like a small tool bag. I just looked at few. There are some small ones out there that are made to fit there. Thanks for the feed back.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Garage
Nice. My wife has no complaints about the backrest position but like you I've noticed the appearance of melted rubber on the exhaust. I may try that footpeg mod. Thanks for the tip!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:20 AM
KCW

Garage
Knowing how challenging it is to be comfortable when riding a cruiser bike, I have empathy for anyone that rides in the passenger "seat" for more than 20 minutes.

I look at Gold Wings on craigslist once in a while, I would not mind having a naked 'Wing just for cruising the interstate, maybe with a fairing

but everyone built after 1985 has a passenger seat that looks like Captain Kirks bridge chair from the Enterprise. If I get one the entire passenger seat and suitcases are all coming off, but GWs ended up with those monsters strapped to the rear fender for a reason - if you are riding two up all day long, day after day, that is what you end up with.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
... but everyone built after 1985 has a passenger seat that looks like Captain Kirks bridge chair from the Enterprise...
My brother owns an 80s era Aspencade that he keeps around as a joke. It has every chrome accessory you could think of, lights up like a Xmas tree, was upgraded sometime in it's life with a serious sound system and CD player, passenger electric adjustable seat with armrests, adjustable floorboards...the thing is a monster of a bike and both rider and passenger almost completely protected from the weather except from above. It's no longer a motorcycle, it's a two-wheeled convertible.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM
KCW

Garage
Dio, that is sad, under all that crap beats the heart of a well designed machine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GL_paint 010.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	75826  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 01:36 PM
KCW

Garage
or.....this one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	75834  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode