Observations - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By upchucks
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By cokerb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Observations

So I go up to a dealer and sit on what I think is a '13 Roadstar and a salesman informs me that it is in fact a Roadliner.
Owning a '12 Roadie this thing impressed me by the obvious changes, only judging by the engine similarities.
Being that easily 90% plus are Harleys around here, metric bikes can slip into history without me noticing it, particularly if a mfr stops production for a couple years. Even at big bike events around here you may not even see a Roadie, Warrior or Strat.
I did get to park next to a Roadliner and it is easily the length of the front wheel assembly longer.
Maybe I would have picked a liner had I knew they even existed. Gettin up in years handling the extra weight and bulk probably wouldn't be wise anyway.

You can observe a lot just by watching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 PM
KCW

Garage
you look at motorcycles online and bikes for sale on craigslist, and its hard to grasp how big or small they actually are.

Ive been really surprised by some bikes when you can walk around them and sit on them.

There are some really small HDs, and some bikes that I would never expect, like the old Honda CX500s and SilverWings, are very bike bikes.

but somehow looking at photos on the internet they all seem like they are the same size.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upchucks View Post
So I go up to a dealer and sit on what I think is a '13 Roadstar and a salesman informs me that it is in fact a Roadliner.
Owning a '12 Roadie this thing impressed me by the obvious changes, only judging by the engine similarities.
Being that easily 90% plus are Harleys around here, metric bikes can slip into history without me noticing it, particularly if a mfr stops production for a couple years. Even at big bike events around here you may not even see a Roadie, Warrior or Strat.
I did get to park next to a Roadliner and it is easily the length of the front wheel assembly longer.
Maybe I would have picked a liner had I knew they even existed. Gettin up in years handling the extra weight and bulk probably wouldn't be wise anyway.

You can observe a lot just by watching
I was looking at buying a Roadstar from a friend. Ended up buying a Stratoliner about 3 1/2 months ago. Had been riding my VTX1300 for 12 years. Never thought I would find a bike that handled as well as it does. The Stratoliner which is basically a chromed out Roadliner with bags and a windshield handles surprisingly well. It is very well ballanced and only weighs about 805 lbs which is not that much more than the Roadstar. The ride is also much better. A friend who has a 2016 Road King road it and agreed that it road every bit as good as his. Don't let the size of the bike keep you away. If you get a chance take one for a ride. I know I am glad I did.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 02:48 PM

It really is tough to know about all of the bikes on the market and even more difficult to see them in person. I try to go to as many gatherings as possible to see different bikes in person but some areas are very genre or brand specific. When I go to my place in N Michigan I see HDs almost exclusively. Those that are of other makes are typically big metric baggers or tourers which I have no interest in.

As an aside, I used to have a CX500 and the bike is deceptively bigger than you would think and it's friggin heavy for a 500. Despite it being water-cooled I loved that bike and toured on it quite extensively. It was stone reliable and great on gas. It was awesome as a $400 junkyard find (late '90s at Rodney's Cycle Salvage in S.C.) that took me a weekend to get into shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode