Here's How The Government Should Be Encouraging Motorcycle Use - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Klurejr
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By David Beth
  • 2 Post By Klurejr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's How The Government Should Be Encouraging Motorcycle Use

This article just published a few min ago and I love it.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-g...cyc-1819741056
David Beth and David Beth like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:04 PM

Garage
That's a great article and he makes some excellent points. But common sense is anything but common so it'll never happen.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 PM

Garage
you can't even park motorcycles in garages in my city, something about setting off alarms and slippery surfaces, signs at entrances NO MOTORCYCLES per bla bla bla ordanance

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

it would be more effective as city programs. some cities would be greatly affected by more bikes, more public transportation, etc. on the road while the vast majority of the country wouldn't.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:10 AM
KCW

Garage
I understand the sentiment but its never going to happen.

Riding a MC takes more skill and a higher level of attention than driving a car. In the US we average 40,000 motor vehicle deaths a year, in spite of crumple zones and seat belts and air bags and anti lock brakes, and new cars with collision avoidance, the death rate stays pretty level over the decades.

Encourage those people people to ride a motorcycle and I dont think it will end well.

Riding a motorcycle takes either a threshold of commitment, or being below a threshold of income. You have to buy a really really inexpensive motorcycle for it to save you money in the long run over having just a car, because for most people they will still need a car. And then you have to be willing and able to do a lot of service and maintenance yourself. For example, my car gets 25mpg, and my VS650 gets 60mpg. But the bike wears through tires so fast, if you add in the cost of having a shop put new tires on the bike every 10,000 miles, the tires cost as much as the gas per mile, effectively knocking the fuel cost down from 60mpg to 30. Car tires last 3 times as long, and in my case a set of tires for my car is cheaper than paying for an installed pair of tires on the bike.

Unless you force MCs to ride two by two, or force them to lane split all the time, you are not going to save any space on the road. A motorcycle takes up half the parking space of a car. And a fender bender in a car is a week in the hospital for a MC rider.

In poorer countries people ride motorcycles far more than we do in the US. They are cheap little bikes that you cannot buy in the US, and the injury and death rate from accidents is at a level that is unacceptable in the US.

The flip side of this is: if you are able to ride a motorcycle in the US, and ride safely and save money and fuel compared to driving a car, pat yourself on the back and take some pride in your accomplishment, because by definition half the people in the US have an intelligence that is below average, and they would not survive long if they were compelled to ride a motorcycle everyday.
Diogenes415 and Diogenes415 like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:34 AM

I've heard this talk (and the like for bicycle use) for a long time. This isn't going to change the fact that most Americans view two wheeled vehicles as recreational vehicles and inconvenient in practical terms when it comes to less than perfect weather conditions. I've known a lot of people over the years who've claimed to be motorcyclists yet they very rarely rode their motorcycles despite having spent a fortune on their bikes and gear and keeping them registered. The article mentions the benefits of raising motorcycle use from less than one percent to ten percent, ha ha ha, no way in hell is that ever going to happen. All you have to do is talk to commuters about the subject to come to the conclusion that the article is more than idealistic.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
My company has a travel reduction program in place to encourage car pooling and alternative or public transport. I found out today that my motorcycle is included in the program so I'll get a dollar every day I ride to work. Not a huge chunk of change but it's about half of my daily gas usage. More companies and cities should encourage motorcycle use. A lot of people won't ever ride for reasons already mentioned but there are some that would if the incentive were there.
Klurejr and Klurejr like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Beth View Post
My company has a travel reduction program in place to encourage car pooling and alternative or public transport. I found out today that my motorcycle is included in the program so I'll get a dollar every day I ride to work. Not a huge chunk of change but it's about half of my daily gas usage. More companies and cities should encourage motorcycle use. A lot of people won't ever ride for reasons already mentioned but there are some that would if the incentive were there.
That is cool!

I have been commuting to and from work everyday for 6 years now and hate the days I have to take my truck in. I saw time and frustration and I can park just about anywhere I want to.

I wonder if the company I work for offers anything like that....
David Beth and David Beth like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Garage
It's certainly worth checking out! Faster commute via the HOV lane, less gas used, and frankly a more enjoyable ride. Add in the incentive from the company and what's not to like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode