Heated Gloves vs Grips - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: Which one?
Heated grips+handlebar muffs 1 14.29%
Heated gloves 3 42.86%
Heated grips+hand deflectors+light gloves 0 0%
Alternate hands on cylinder heads 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heated Gloves vs Grips

Now that cold weather has arrived it is time to invest in some cold weather gear. I cannot decide between heated grips or gloves. I live in central NC so temps are gonna be above 32 when I am riding. I also have some handlebar muffs that I use but they don't look the best so I am trying not to use them but they do help a lot! I don't like bulky gloves because of the restrictive movement and that "bulkiness" feel. I have a few options. I can go with heated grips+muffs and be okay but would rather stay away from muffs. I can get a good set of heated gloves if someone has tried any that doesn't restrict movement and isn't too bulky and doesn't slide on the grips. OR I can get heated grips with hand deflectors and light gloves. Let me know what yall use and would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittct View Post
Now that cold weather has arrived it is time to invest in some cold weather gear. I cannot decide between heated grips or gloves. I live in central NC so temps are gonna be above 32 when I am riding. I also have some handlebar muffs that I use but they don't look the best so I am trying not to use them but they do help a lot! I don't like bulky gloves because of the restrictive movement and that "bulkiness" feel. I have a few options. I can go with heated grips+muffs and be okay but would rather stay away from muffs. I can get a good set of heated gloves if someone has tried any that doesn't restrict movement and isn't too bulky and doesn't slide on the grips. OR I can get heated grips with hand deflectors and light gloves. Let me know what yall use and would recommend.
IMHO: Having had both... Gloves.

Heated grips heat the inside of your hands. Gloves keep the whole hand warm, including the 'leading edge' that will always be cold with inadequate gloves, heated grips or not.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
IMHO: Having had both... Gloves.

Heated grips heat the inside of your hands. Gloves keep the whole hand warm, including the 'leading edge' that will always be cold with inadequate gloves, heated grips or not.
After researching all day. I ended up buying the fly ignitor pro gloves. They have a sport bike look to them which I am not very fond of, but for what they offer it's a steal. Windproof/waterproof, silicone on palm and fingers for grip, battery-powered heat that covers the whole hand plus fingers. Battery last 4 hours on low, 3.5 on medium and 2.5 on high. These are less bulky compared to some others. I like that does not have a wire because I know my vstar amps are probably maxed out after installing speakers and lights and a phone charger. Also, I can use these snowboarding etc. Got them for $179 off of revzilla. Replacement batteries are only $25 so for long trips I will just switch them out. Can't wait to try them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

this year i'm going with battery heated gloves + deflectors. i'd guess my deflectors (knucklewarmers.com) probably feels like they save me between 10-20 degrees of cold on the highway. they block out the vast majority of cold wind blowing on my hands. and i got a cheap pair of heated gloves last year but only got one chance to use them. in my one test, i was very happy with the comfort and feel especially for only spending $50. i'm saving them for temps below 40.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittct View Post
Got them for $179 off of revzilla.
if they haven't shipped yet, they are only $161 on cyclegear but that sale ends today.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

on a steel horse I ride

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
if they haven't shipped yet, they are only $161 on cyclegear but that sale ends today.
Already shipped What is the name of the heated gloves you have? My dad was looking for a cheaper pair. BTW you can get those deflectors for $20 on ebay or amazon. My dad and I have some and they look the exact same. Or for the same price as the knucklewarmers you can get hippo hands I believe is what they are called and they are really really nice and specific for your model bike. But the cheap ones do work very well, my dad uses them behind his fairing and we have been riding in 40-50 degree weather and he doesn't need gloves.

Last edited by brittct; 11-27-2017 at 10:18 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

i guess i paid $65, but free shipping.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...lothing-6.html

what i like about my knucklewarmers is that they are easily adjustable and easy to take on and off and don't get in the way of any of my controls or moving my hands around. the only cheap deflectors i've seen on amazon are plastic guards that don't look like they would deflect as much as mine which surrounds my entire hands.

on a steel horse I ride

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 AM

Gloves offer a reasonable level of dexterity however having the fingers separated reduces warmth. Mittens are much warmer but are a trade-off when it comes to holding the grips and using the levers. I have a pair of milsurp mittens (like the ones in the pic) that I split down the middle and stitched to separate the index/middle finger pairs from the ring/pinky fingers much like the old East German military motorcycle gloves you can still buy from milsurp suppliers. They are very warm and allow me to grip the handlebars yet use the levers naturally.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 AM
KCW

Garage
I have a couple pairs of gloves for when its below 40F

one pair is split leather with a fleece lining - got them at Walmart for about $10, and I like them the best.

Got a pair of new Harley-D winter gloves for $20 from the Goodwill store, lists on the Harley website for $100. They are like snowmobile gloves. They keep my hands a bit warmer, but they are really bulky.

When riding with heavy gloves I cant feel the clutch lever very well, it does not slide across my fingers the same. I totally lose my confidence pulling away from a light, or out into traffic.

Having said all that, the best thing is to get your hands behind the wind deflection of a windshield, or get grip wind deflectors. The windshield does not have to cover the grips, it throws the air out sideways and very little wind hits your hands.

Since the weather turns cold so quickly in upstate NY, having cold weather gear means you get to ride maybe another 10 days a year instead of driving the car when its below 40F. In that light its not really worth it for me to spend a couple hundred dollars to ride another 10 days - Im already riding 120 days a year. The weather goes from 50s to below 40F, to snow, in about 2 weeks.

Last edited by KCW; 11-28-2017 at 09:32 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Gloves offer a reasonable level of dexterity however having the fingers separated reduces warmth. Mittens are much warmer but are a trade-off when it comes to holding the grips and using the levers. I have a pair of milsurp mittens (like the ones in the pic) that I split down the middle and stitched to separate the index/middle finger pairs from the ring/pinky fingers much like the old East German military motorcycle gloves you can still buy from milsurp suppliers. They are very warm and allow me to grip the handlebars yet use the levers naturally.

I actually thought about that, but being that comfort and dexterity was very important to me. I decided with the gloves.
Bevo1981: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Mo...ar+muffs&psc=1

KCW: That is cold! Hopefully, I won't be riding in anything that cold! I've messed around with thick gloves and riding gloves but to get the warmth they had to be really bulky which I hate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode