Stabil fuel treatment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Stabil fuel treatment

I know Stabil work and does work rather well but good gravy does that stuff make your exhaust real fumey to a point it almost makes you gag.
I guess the trade off is stinky exhaust for a thankful or gummed up carbs right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 AM
KCW

Garage
Ive never heard that before - are you sure you put in the right amount?

Never noticed any smell or smoke with Seafoam.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I use it in all of my small motors and outboards but not my bike, although I would not hesitate to use it if my bike was to sit up a month or more without running. I have never noticed and odd smell.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:44 PM

Garage
I used to need to run a fuel treatment every 5-6 weeks to keep my bikes running smooth, then I stopped buying cheap gas and only fill up at Chevron, Shell, Exxon or 76 - but mostly Chevron - and 2 years later I have not needed to add any fuel treatment to either bike once.
KCW and KCW like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:02 PM
KCW

Garage
sorta on the same subject, I filled my bike with premium last time and put seafoam in the tank, because I dont know when the snow will set in and that will be my last ride.

I have noticed the bike feels a bit sluggish running on premium. I have heard this before on carbed bikes, premium has less energy than regular gas per ounce.

The point where I notice it is when I shift up. When I shift it always feels like Im giving the bike a little kick right before I pull the clutch in, like Im handing the engine over from one gear to the next - like tossing the rpms over... This last week running on premium it doesnt quite have that same delightful kick/toss feeling.

I thought it might be the sea foam, but I cant believe that 4 ounces of anything in 4 gallons of gas could make the bike feel different.
Elk and Elk like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:36 PM

The 650's motor has a low compression ratio of 9:1 and modest ignition timing so 87 works fine for me even during the summer. I just make sure it's from a reputable high volume fuel station. Higher octane fuels are only effective in high(er) performance motors that can suffer from fuel pre-ignition.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM
KCW

Garage
I thought it would be better to have the tank full of non-ethanol fuel when stored for the winter, and the only option I have seen in my area is premium from Sunoco, or Kwik Fill, but that is about 5 miles out of my way.

When I fill it again Im just going to use regular gas - have not had a problem with 10% ethanol so far using Seafoam over the winter.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

My tank is full of 87 octane ethanol free gas. I usually put 2 ounces in a full tank.
Weather did start to get colder.
Hopefully it will be a warmer and short winter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I thought it would be better to have the tank full of non-ethanol fuel when stored for the winter, and the only option I have seen in my area is premium from Sunoco, or Kwik Fill, but that is about 5 miles out of my way.

When I fill it again Im just going to use regular gas - have not had a problem with 10% ethanol so far using Seafoam over the winter.
Where do you live and what's your elevation?
KCW and KCW like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:25 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_slug View Post
Where do you live and what's your elevation?
upstate NY, 300 feet above sea level.

I know the bike does not need premium, and the jets are picked at the factory for regular gas - so I expected the premium might give a bit lower mpgs for this one tank - but I was surprised I could feel the difference in the throttle.

If it was a fuel injected motor the MCU would correct for it - but the 650 has carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode