Mc commute 50% day! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Mc commute 50% day!

Today is the 117th day of commuting to work on my MC this year. With my holiday and vacation schedule I work 235 days a year, so I have hit the 50% mark.

This is the first time riding this many days per year, which means I am commuting on my MC more than driving my car. And there are still 4 weeks left in 2017.

Not a big deal for riders in the southern states, but for upstate NY... I stopped seeing other MCs on the roads during commuting hours about a month ago. Having the Memphis Fats windshield and fork deflectors on the bike now makes a big difference when its cold, even though Im not hitting more than 45mph on the daily ride.

I did not take into account days that I was out sick, days when I was out of town on business, or the 6 days when i rode my bicycle to work this year.

For the last 4 years its been closer to 100 days / year. Now I can say my Vstar is my primary mode of transportation.

Last edited by KCW; 11-29-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Garage
That is awesome! Props for riding year round in NY!
KCW and KCW like this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 AM

Good on ya for riding a motorcycle that much. Can't say I'd enjoy riding my motorcycle during the winter as much as riding my bicycles... with the latter I at least generate serious body heat and don't get cold.
KCW and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Not riding completely year round.

Once there is snow on the ground in december the bike normally stays in the garage till maybe early march.

Sometimes we get a january thaw, temps into the 60s for a few days, and then it snows again.
caseyjones and caseyjones like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:09 PM

Garage
KCW, KCW, brittct and 1 others like this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:19 PM

Look! A snow angel!
KCW and KCW like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Today is the 117th day of commuting to work on my MC this year. With my holiday and vacation schedule I work 235 days a year, so I have hit the 50% mark.

This is the first time riding this many days per year, which means I am commuting on my MC more than driving my car. And there are still 4 weeks left in 2017.

Not a big deal for riders in the southern states, but for upstate NY... I stopped seeing other MCs on the roads during commuting hours about a month ago. Having the Memphis Fats windshield and fork deflectors on the bike now makes a big difference when its cold, even though Im not hitting more than 45mph on the daily ride.

I did not take into account days that I was out sick, days when I was out of town on business, or the 6 days when i rode my bicycle to work this year.

For the last 4 years its been closer to 100 days / year. Now I can say my Vstar is my primary mode of transportation.
You're ahead of me! I commute on the bike whenever possible. But "possible" to me means 50 degrees or more (I'm a wuss)...
KCW and KCW like this.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
BMW made motorcycles in the 1940s that had sidecars, with a drive shaft to the side car wheel.

they were unstoppable in the snow and mud.

BTW, does that jacket say Alaska?! I cant imaging what they would be doing up there?
that does not look like Alaska. I think those are NY plates.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
BMW made motorcycles in the 1940s that had sidecars, with a drive shaft to the side car wheel.

they were unstoppable in the snow and mud.
Russians still make Urals... With driven sidecars. Well, I know I know it is a copy of DKW and BMW ))) But still being produced these days. And they imported in the US!

KCW and KCW like this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:56 PM

My MotoGuzzi had a Steib sidecar and it was great in New England winter weather. Right after the fall of the Iron Curtain you could get a Ural or Dnepr (Ukrainian Ural equivalent) sidehack with the live axle for about $4,000. Now the Ural Patrol goes for more than 4X that price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode