Rider Skills Day in NC - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rider Skills Day in NC

Me and my wife took a class last Saturday. Rode with a Motor Police Officer and got our riding skills assessment. Class was free as well as the lunch at local HD dealer. Not sure if it is available in every state, but I recommend taking it if available (we live in NC).

Supposed to lower your insurance premium as well, I'm going to find out.

Just wanted to share with you, guys.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:36 AM
KCW

Garage
Did you learn things you did not know about riding, or about yourself?

I took the MSF class to get my license 5 years ago. I had ridden dirt bikes all my life, and figured the course would be a formality to get my license in 3 days, without having to do the whole road test nightmare.

I was amazed at how many things I did not know about riding on the street, and how many things I had been doing wrong my whole life on a MC.

Last edited by KCW; 12-04-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Cant type straight on a monday morning!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Did you learn things you did not know about riding, or about yourself?

I took the MSF class to get my license 5 years ago. I had ridden dirt bikes all my life, and figured the course would be a formality to get my license in 3 days, without having to do the whole road test nightmare.

I was amazed at home many things I did not know about riding on the street, and how many things I had been doing wrong my whole life on a MC.
Yes, I learned a couple tricks and got some tips from the officer. I gotta polish my "one foot down at stop" and try to detect possible hazards a bit better. I learned to wave the bike at the intersections where there is a car on another roadway or in front of the car if it is turning left so they can catch my moving headlight and actually see me. Also, he said that it is totally fine to ride in the center of the lane on the highway and it is not the most slippery part of it because dripping oil gets blown away by the wind (only on highways, not in the city and intersections). And, of course, all three lane positions you supposed to take to maximize your view angle.

And it was fun riding with a Police, suddenly you get all that respect from the drivers! lol

We're planning to bring all of our friends to that class in spring time. You can take that class as many times as you want.

Last edited by nurtaeff; 12-04-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Whine View Post
It MIGHT lower your insurance about $5. Don't expect much more.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
I'm not too concerned about that. I have already lowered it 2X by switching to another insurance provider.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:21 AM
KCW

Garage
what do you mean about the 1 foot down at a stop?

I know Im not suppose to, but for most stop signs and even some red lights, I slow down to about 1mph and crawl up to the intersection, look both ways twice before going, and never actually stop or put my feet down unless there is a traffic conflict.

When I do stop I put down both feet. With the windshield and back rest on my bike I find its easier to hold the bike dead stable upright when stopped, without wobbling side to side.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1 foot down means when you come to a complete stop you downshift to the first gear and put your left foot down and keep the right foot on the brake pedal. You shouldn't walk you bike to the stop with both feet or put both feet down. That way you can take off faster and safer if something is going on behind you. You always want to check your mirrors while stopped and always stay on the first gear and clutch (no neutral!). If you watch MCRider channel on Youtube that's what he recommends as well.

1 foot down is what I was taught when took MSF course. I took my MSF thru Harley Riding Academy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinmorris22
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 AM
KCW

Garage
interesting.

I dont see the reasoning behind keeping your right foot on the brake. I hold the front brake on when stopped.

If I have to pull my visor up or something while stopped I put my right foot back on the brake to hold the bike so I can use my right hand, and I definitely feel less stable leaning the bike on my left foot with nothing to stop it from falling over on the right side.

When I took the MSF class they told us to put down both feet.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
interesting.

I dont see the reasoning behind keeping your right foot on the brake. I hold the front brake on when stopped.

If I have to pull my visor up or something while stopped I put my right foot back on the brake to hold the bike so I can use my right hand, and I definitely feel less stable leaning the bike on my left foot with nothing to stop it from falling over on the right side.

When I took the MSF class they told us to put down both feet.
Well, I guess there are different opinions on this subject. Anyways, I always try to put 1 foot down. If you feel safer with both - just do what you think is the best for you.

I heard a reason to keep both brakes engaged if you stop on the hill is that if one fails you won't roll off the hill. It becomes a habit after a while (I keep both brakes engaged because I used to it).
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Garage
I always practice this! One foot down with bike still in 1st gear. Make sure to check the mirrors behind you! Had a buddy get rear-ended while he was stopped at an intersection by a car going 55 mph. Almost killed him, broke his back in several places.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 AM

I've been an MSF rider coach for a bit so, the "company" answer is :
Downshift, left foot down, right foot down. I didn't understand the order either until I watched a lady rider drop a big HD twice when stopping. She would stop with both feet at the same time because she used the front brake in a turn down" didn't like the rear brake". The front brake will always throw you off balance in a turn, try it, the more you grab the worse it is. Rear brake at the end of a turn (talking slow speed) is the way to go.
Since muscle memory is so important, we teach the same process for stopping straight or in a turn.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode