lane placement? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

lane placement?

since someone just brought this up, which part of the lane do you typically stay in while on the freeways and interstates and highways and byways and such?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
since someone just brought this up, which part of the lane do you typically stay in while on the freeways and interstates and highways and byways and such?

I like to stay in far right hand side of my lane. For me if a distracted driver is coming towards me or a vehicle comes flying up behind me I feel I have a better chance of getting out of the way, but thatís just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:46 AM

Depends where you live and condition of road actually.
Here, the roads crown in the center so rain runs off. The right side usually is the roughest.
I am always dodging dead animals, potholes, manhole covers, gravel up here so I am all over the road.
KCW, KCW, nurtaeff and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 AM

Garage
What I learned from the Rider Skills class is that your lane position changes all the time. Say, for example, if there is a left curve then you should be on the far right side to extend angle of view and be able to see behind the curve as far as possible. If there is a hill then stay in the center and raise off the seat again to see as far as you can. If you are on multiple lane road riding on the right lane then you should stay on the left side of the lane so the others can see you and will not try to change a lane right where you are. If riding in the middle lane(s) then your position depends on traffic on adjacent lanes. Anyways, my lane positioning is all over the lane, I don't stay in one lane portion all the time. That's what I learned from both MSF and Motor Officer. They call it "defensive riding"

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
What I learned from the Rider Skills class is that your lane position changes all the time. Say, for example, if there is a left curve then you should be on the far right side to extend angle of view and be able to see behind the curve as far as possible. If there is a hill then stay in the center and raise off the seat again to see as far as you can. If you are on multiple lane road riding on the right lane then you should stay on the left side of the lane so the others can see you and will not try to change a lane right where you are. If riding in the middle lane(s) then your position depends on traffic on adjacent lanes. Anyways, my lane positioning is all over the lane, I don't stay in one lane portion all the time. That's what I learned from both MSF and Motor Officer. They call it "defensive riding"
Exactly. Common sense.
The other day I was going down the road and there was a mini van with a tailpipe dragging on the ground.
It was a 2 lane road and could not pass. I had to position myself to be ready in case it fell off.
I finally pulled off the side of the road and let a few cars behind me pass and have me some distance.
People need to secure loads in pickups and make sure that pieces of their vehicles are secure.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 AM
KCW

Garage
I dont try to stay in any part of the lane.

I ride with the flow of traffic, and move within my space to optimize my view, and my visibility to other drivers.

when I stop behind a car at an intersection, I stay 10 ft behind them, on the left side, and point my bike to the left of the car in front of me, in case I need to get out of that spot.

A couple people thought I wanted to pass them and tried to wave me thru - they must be from California :^)

Last edited by KCW; 12-05-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Since we don't have a law in maryland that you must be in the right lane, except when passing, I normally am in the left lane, and in the left side so I am away from people in the right lane, and can hit the shoulder.

If traffic is busy, and people are just being agressive, I will move randomly to the right, so people don't think the space is empty and attempt to move into me.
nurtaeff and nurtaeff like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Garage
Normally ride in the left lane, on the left side of the lane. Unless of course I am riding behind someone which then I ride on the right side.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Left portion. I've found that riding center or right then cars tend to assume that i don't need the unused portion of the lane. Especially freeway. Back roads I'll ride like center left. Right side typically but not always has more loose gravel and debris.
KCW and KCW like this.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Garage
i don't like the curb side because an animal or person or whatever can surprise you too easily, loose gravel and car doors opening are other things on that right side, on the highway i position myself where i feel safest, sometimes i ride the middle if there's no oil trac there, you hardly ever hear anyone talk about the middle it's not always dirty there
KCW and KCW like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode