Hit n Run on my 2003 FZ1 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hit n Run on my 2003 FZ1

2 Days ago I was leaving work and when I walked down to the Motorcycle parking in the Garage I noticed from a distance my bike was leaning on the kickstand instead of being up on the center stand.... I normally put it on the center stand because it takes up less space, making it easier for the other moto's to park and it is easier to strap my backpack on when the bike is level.

I had noticed that the car parked nearest the moto parking was over the line a bit, but I did not think they would actually hit my bike. I actually cannot prove at the moment that it was that particular car, but I have my suspicions.

What I concluded is the car turned the wheels to the left while backing out in an attempt to back out of the space and rotate the car in a way to leave the structure without having to do a few more turns. When backing out the passenger front tire must have hit my exhaust(found a little bit of rubber wedged into part of it) and pushed my bike forward off the center stand and it fell into the floorboard of the BMW K1800 Parked next to it as it landed on the ground, also cracking the fairing, busting one of the radiator mounts and scratching the rear plastics.

They obviously knew they did something wrong and pick it up and put it on the kickstand. They did not leave a note.

I filed a report with the Security for the garage and they have a video camera that points at the location of the incident. I need to get an official police report so they can release the footage to the Police to make sure I can get this all covered by the perps insurance. I plan to ride over to a local police station today and get that report.

I ended up leaving a note for the BMW rider even thought there was no damage to his floorboard and I bet without the note he would not even know his bike was hit. I am so glad I was not parked closer to the BMW or else I would be liable for all the damage to his bike....

Fortunately the bike runs fine and the tank is not leaking, but it will need to be replaced.

Un-Fortunately I have a feeling that if this person does have insurance they will want to just salvage it out instead of repairing it....

I really hope they catch this person and put a huge red mark on their license for Hit n Run.

Here are some pics of the damage and the bike it hit:

Here are some screen grabs from my go pro when I pulled in that morning:

It easily could of been someone else, but I sorta doubt it. If they are such a poor driver they cannot properly park between the lines.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-12-13-08h10m31s893.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	76906   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-12-13-08h12m00s225.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	76914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171212_154012sml.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	76922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171212_154015sml.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	76930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171212_154025sml.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	76938  

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
Hope you'll get everything resolved, man. It sucks. I hate when that happens, every "hit-n-run" person license should be revoked permanently.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:40 PM
KCW

Garage
Its possible the driver knocked your bike over
then someone else saw it lying down and picked it up for you.

Hope the security camera clears things up.

BTW, this is the reason to always turn off your gas tank petcock when you park your bike - If someone knocks over a bike with carbs, the floats can hang and drain your tank into your crankcase.
Elk, Elk, nurtaeff and 1 others like this.

Last edited by KCW; 12-14-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Its possible the driver knocked your bike over
then someone else saw it lying down and picked it up for you.

Hope the security camera clears things up.

BTW, this is the reason to always turn off your gas tank petcock when you park your bike - If someone knocks over a bike with carbs, the floats can hang and drain your tank into your crankcase.
Yeah, I am very interested to see the video footage, there is a camera that points right at the place where it all happened.

Opened the police report today, so hopefully the security department can now release the footage.

I think it was picked up right away, the bike took a few extra turns of the starter to start up, but it came up and ran fine. Good thing to note however. thank you.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

is that 2nd photo a frame from you initially pulling in to park? and you're suspecting the white car on the left? if so, and even if the security footage shows that car damaging your bike, is the license plate even visible?
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:44 AM

Garage
Iím looking forward to seeing what you found out from the garage footage. Keep us updated. Glad your bike wasnít damaged worse than it was. The driver should be cited for the damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Garage
wow that's a really bad dent from just falling over, security cameras are great, that how the guy who cut my helmet from the bike got himself arrested, had to bolt a new strap in the helmet but at least i got it back

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
is that 2nd photo a frame from you initially pulling in to park? and you're suspecting the white car on the left? if so, and even if the security footage shows that car damaging your bike, is the license plate even visible?
I happened to get a clean shot of it from my gopro when backing my bike in and kept a screen grab. If the video footage shows that car is the one that hit mine I have the plate number.

I just called the security manager and left him a message, hopefully I have something soon.

Police told me that once they have the footage they will send a letter to the owner of the car and basically tell them they were caught, most of the time the person fesses up and provides insurance info. But if it is not a felony, they can't really use video footage to do anything beyond that..... so lame. He said they need an eye witness to confirm the identity of the person who hit me.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 PM

Garage
what if the video shows clearly who was driving at the time of the accident, isn't that confirmation, eye witnesses make mistakes the camera doesn't, lazy cops might be jerking you around with that eye witness statement, if the video does ID the person take them to small claims if all else fails, if it was a nice car then they have money

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 12-19-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

if i were you, i would be consulting with a lawyer at this point. you now have security and police telling you what can't be done.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode