Anniversary Ride - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Anniversary Ride

My wedding anniversary is soon. My wife wants to do the Three Sisters ride in the Texas hill country. Her idea, really. It's about a four hour ride from Houston and we are looking to stay a few days. Has anyone done the Three Sisters? Anyone have recommendations on lodging? My wife is NOT into camping. She's the must have bath tub and clean room type. Something in the Kerrville or Fredericksburg area would be great. Nothing that would break the bank but a nice clean place. Please post ideas or recommendations. Looking to go in March. Here is a picture of my sweetie at the Lone Star Rally.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Garage
Howdy,

Rode the sisters in late october with a buddy. What a great ride. The weather was excellent, meaning NOT 100 degrees. I'm going back as soon as I can.

We got some rooms in the old Leakey Inn. I really liked the place. It isn't flashy. It's actually very old but recently redecorated and updated. It was clean, quiet, and reasonable. One of the best parts of the trip was sitting under the covered porch, drinking coffee, and watching Leakey go by. It was a very nice base of operations. A number of other bikers were there while we were. If you'd prefer something newer, you'll also find all the usual places in Kerrville or Boerne so you won't have any trouble finding a bed.

Leakey has an excellent family owned restaurant (Friend's Grill), another good place where we ate breakfast every day (Mill Creek Cafe), and a cool biker bar/grill with a nice view (Bent Rim Grill). There are a couple of others I wanted to try and just didn't have time. Next trip.

If you like floating in the river, there are a LOT of cabin rentals on the Frio. My recollection is they were more $$.

Texas Hill Country Cabins
https://www.leakeyinn.com/
Welcome to FCMS!
The Friend's Grill Restaurant in Leakey, Texas - the Best Ribeye Steak in Leakey
Mill Creek Cafe - Where families gather and enjoy good food
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks a lot. That is exactly the info I was looking more. I've read a lot of info but most are the places saying how great they are. Any other info please pass it on. Any places we shouldn't go? We will be going mid week so hopefully not too many people out. I understand about the heat, that's why we are aiming for mid March.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:00 PM

Garage
Glad to be helpful.

Don't recall being disappointed anywhere, but I'm a small town guy. I don't expect a lot when I'm out in the wild west. I was pleasantly surprised all the way. Can't wait to do it again.

Here's the quickie trip report, if you're interested:

We headed west out of Dallas and then came down US377 from Stephenville to Junction. Then rode the super slab to US83 and then south to Leakey for the night at the Leakey Inn and dinner at Friends Grill. We went around the sisters clockwise from Leakey the next morning. 337 west from Leakey is twisty and scenic. It was misty so the scenery was spectacular. 335 north is also twisty and scenic. 41 to 336 is straight and flat. 336 is more scenic than twisty. There's a really interesting historical marker down near the southern end of 336. One of the last Indian attacks in that region. It's a good story.

The last gas was in Barksdale as I recall, but Rocksprings is not too far out of the way west on 41 if you need it. My 950 didn't. My buddy's bike has a small tank so he carried a gallon with him.

We took off for home the next day in the rain heading east on 337 to Vanderpool, Medina, and Boerne. I enjoyed this drive maybe more than the others. Very twisty as you climb up out of the Frio valley. The rain stopped just before Medina. We only had to dodge one deer. After you're out of the canyon you can cruise and enjoy the beautiful scenery. That day was a really good one. Wet and cool, but fun.

I'll probably do it the same way the next time except to spend a couple of extra days checking out the state parks, the motorcycle museum, maybe ride down to Langtry and see the Pecos canyon bridge. My buddy had to get back to work, so we didn't get to tourist around much.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

+1 on the Bent Rim. i've ridden the sisters, but it's just a day trip for me from Austin so i don't have experience on lodging. there's also great riding on 337 between Leakey and Bandera that shouldn't be missed.
lesblank and lesblank like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Great write up. Our plan is a three day, two night trip. It's only a 4 hour drive from Houston so the first day will give us some time to explore when we get there. Day two will be the Three Sisters and more exploring. We will have at least have a half day on third day to explore more before ride back. The wife and I have gone on several day trips of 400 plus miles on the bike but never an over night trip. I'm sharing your post with her and she is as excited as I am. Thanks again.

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My wife surprised my when I got home, she had made hotel reservations for our trip. She booked at the Leakey Inn. She searched things to do in the Hill Country and has a loooog list. I've mapped to so only about 100 miles of the planned 800 miles total trip are on interstate, lots of side roads. As I'm typing this she comes and tells me she ordered a new set of chaps for herself. This trip is sounding better every day.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Garage
Keep us posted. Can't wait to hear about your trip. Sounds like you will see a lot more of the country around there than I did.

Temps down into the teens around here today. Last night I got out on the highway to see what my new cold weather gear would do. It was 25 degrees, roads dry. It wasn't bad. I could do it if I had to, I guess. Glove liners didn't seem to work. Face shield wants to fog up. But for the most part, it was ok. I guess that's a success since I really only expect to use this stuff in more normal chilly weather. 40s maybe. 50s.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The wife and I leave Tuesday morning for our ride. Should be sunny and cool (low of 45 and high of 65). This will be our first multi day trip (three days) on a bike. Here is a snap shot of our way there:

Here are a few routes planned once we get there:

We are staying in Leakey. I will post pictures when we get back. Spent the day cleaning and preparing bike. Remember I daily commute and the bike was filthy. Here in Houston we have had 8 straight weekends of rain so other than a quick wipe down the bike has not been cleaned, and it rained today! I did do a few mods on the bike and will post later.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:15 AM

Garage
Have an awesome trip and share all the details when you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode