Rainy riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rainy riding

Had a discussion with my wife (who does not ride, even as a passenger) about riding in the rain and I was telling her that, for me at least, I don't really mind riding when the road is wet but I hate riding when it's actually raining. When the road is wet you just ride a little slower maybe, watch your turns a little more carefully, try to avoid puddles etc. When it's actually raining though, you're just going to get wet. She still didn't get it. What do you all think about rainy riding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I do not mind riding in the rain. I do not mind riding in the cold. I will not do both together. When it first starts to rain unless I really have somewhere to be I will pull off as that is when the roads are the most slick. Depending on the rain I wait 20 -45 minutes if I have the time.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM

I have no issues with riding in the rain and getting wet, you eventually dry out somewhere down the road. However riding in the cold when it's raining is why I have a 1-piece riding suit.
David Beth and David Beth like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Garage
Depends.

2 Summers ago while on a big ride me and some friends were dumped on by a few summer thunderstorms east of the Sierra's. It was about 100 degrees outside and the rain cooled us way down and being soaked acted like air conditioning between the storms. I loved it.

2 nights ago this big storm rolled into California and I got caught in it leaving the store heading home, since it was the first rain in months the ground immediately became an oil slicked mess. Nearly slid out making a left turn going just 10-15mph, go sideways and was able to recover, this was on my vStar 1300... getting sideways on that bike is sketchy.

Yesterday I drove my wifes truck because the rain was so heavy.

This morning it was dry at my house, but I knew there was a chance of scattered showers, but my wife needs the truck today, so I braved it and the clouds opened up halfway to work (35 mile commute). I have over pants and full gauntlet gloves, but the water still got up the pant legs a bit and down into my boots. I am currently sitting at my desk barefoot while my socks n boots dry out some... If we still had 2 vehicles I would of drove a car today. Fortunately the storm is supposed to blow out this afternoon, so I should have a dry ride home.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I drove my Jeep into work yesterday because it was supposed to rain (first during the day rain we've had since at least last May) and of course it was dry until 6:00 PM. Today I decided to take the bike because the rain was supposed to be done and it's been off and on raining all day. Hopefully it'll stop by the time I head home although I don't mind so much getting wet on the way home. I can just change when I get there.

You're absolutely right about cooling you down though! I have an evaporative cooling vest that I wear in the summer (115+) that works exactly the same way.
Klurejr, Klurejr, KCW and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 AM
KCW

Garage
With the weather radar on intellicast.com I have gotten really good judging whether I have a 30 minute window to ride to work without catching any rain. As long as I can get to work without getting soaked Im good. If I have to ride home in a downpour I dont care, as long as its not cold outside.

I dont get much above 45 commuting, but if Im on a longer ride at highway speeds, riding in the rain is not very enjoyable. 50mph and slower ok, much faster and its more of an ordeal than an enjoyable ride. If the windshield is on the bike its better while you are moving, but everytime you stop you get soaked (for a light or intersection) and then when the rain stops you dont dry off very well behind the windshield.

Have to mention, my tourmaster boots have never soaked through from the outside, or filled up from my pant legs getting soaked.

I find it more annoying to ride when the streets are wet than to ride in a mist or sprinkling rainfall. Once the streets are wet my pant legs below my knees get soaked from the spray off my front tire within a mile, no matter how fast you are riding. You can ride through a cloud burst in a mile, but if the streets are wet then your pants keep getting sprayed for another half hour...

Everytime I get caught in the rain, I hear John and Paul singing in my head "let it rain, I dont mind, everythings the same..."

Last edited by KCW; 01-10-2018 at 11:58 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
I will second that as long as the rain is on the way home it's no big deal. I'm a daily commuter and riding to work in the rain is a bummer. I have good rain gear and don't get wet but having to hang wet rain gear up at work is a pain. Over the years I've learned to slow down and corner easy. The fear I have is cage drivers not seeing me. The other thing I don't like is rain getting in down my neck. My rain suit has a hood and have learned putting the hood on and then my helmet fixed that. There have beentimes in the Houston heat it's easier to just get wet as I sweat in the rain suit.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

i prefer dry riding
Brad_G and Brad_G like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Garage
Yep, wet and warm is ok. If you are traveling, then no big deal, as you should be prepared. Commuting, and a pop up shower...uh, surprise! But I would have to be Ok with that, because I took the chance. However, if the day is looking like a total wash out, then I would hop in my Jeep Wrangler.

Most dangerous thing about riding in the rain, is that first slick that @Klurejr and @NGM mentioned, and also the blinding non-visibility that is experienced in a heavy rain on a fast moving road.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:35 AM
KCW

Garage
In upstate NY its 48F this morning and will near 60F this afternoon

if we had a hard rain yesterday to clear the salt off the streets,
and if the roads were not all wet this morning with condensation and runoff from snowbanks
then this would have been a great January thaw Vstar day.... :^(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode