Headlight modulator (Flasher) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Headlight modulator (Flasher)

I'm adding a headlight modulator (flasher) to my V-Star 1300.

I want to be seen. Does anyone else have one? If yes, how do you like it?

The one I just bought is by Kisan Electronics - the "pathBlazer". https://kisantech.com/mag/pathblazer.html
It is "plug and play" (no splicing of wires), it only comes on with the high beam light and has a "daylight sensor" that turns off the flashing at night or going into a tunnel or such. Sounds like a smart idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:21 PM
KCW

Garage
watch out for.... well.... just about everybody that is making a left turn across your path now
and let us know how many think you were blinking them through, and pull out in front of you.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I definitely still have to watch out for turing cars - but this may help get the attention of just one of those cars. It can't hurt.

There is a YouTube safety/training series called "MCrider" that has a video on "why drives pull out in front of bikes". In summary (according to studies), car driver's only have about three seconds to scan the roadway to decide it is clear to pull out. Their brain will see the bike but it does not register because the bike is small (and may be moving fast) so the driver just pulls out. also discussed in this link Headlight modulator law and regulations; how pulsing light affects humans

The flashing headlight is supposed to make the brain recognize that something is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 PM

Garage
I agree people thinking you're 'flashing them through' is a concern.

Kinda depends on the modulation. If I had it at all, I'd want it to be pretty slight/subtle - i.e. just enough modulation to catch the eye without it seeming like 'flashing'. Ever seen an oncoming car go over railroad tracks and the motion makes the lights seem to 'flicker'...? That's kinda what I mean. It's definitely noticeable, but by no means a 'flash'. Better yet if the modulation is irregular, not an even 'beat'.

If it's a true flash on a regular pulse (e.g. from hi beam to low) then I'd be concerned, myself.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:59 PM
KCW

Garage
CountryB, Im not sure that you understand what Im referring to.

Blinking your lights at other cars can mean several things. One is when someone is trying to turn across your path, or to pull out from a side street or parking lot, if you want that person to go ahead of you and turn or pull out, you blink your lights a couple times.

For example, if a car coming the other way and turning left is blocking a line of cars behind it, it is common to blink that person through so they are not holding up all those cars at a green light.

It means "I see you, Im slowing down to let you go first, Im giving up my right of way to you".

Not everyone does this, and not everyone understands what it means, that is why you need to be careful - you may think you got your modulator on so you can ride through the intersection, and the other person may think you are blinking them through and turn right in front of you.

I blink people through intersections frequently in my car. I never do it on my motorcycle.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, if it looks like "flashing" then it is a concern as may looks like biker is signaling "okay - go", but the rate of flash is governed by Code, so as not look like a flash signal. I've seen many bikes with the modulating headlights and never thought it was a "flash signal". I guess I'll find out.

The code requires the modulation to be set to 240 flashes (+/- 40) per minute (4 per second).
[IMG]DOT rule on Headlight Modulators by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by CountryB; 02-01-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Yes, if it looks like "flashing" then it is a concern as may looks like biker is signaling "okay - go", but the rate of flash is governed by Code, so as not look like a flash signal. I've seen many bikes with the modulating headlights and never thought it was a "flash signal". I guess I'll find out.

The code requires the modulation to be set to 240 flashes (+/- 40) per minute (4 per second).
[IMG]Capture by , on Flickr[/IMG]

That is a rational, logical and sensible response. Nobody should interpret 4x second 'flickering' as a flash through.

And yet, I've learned that expecting other drivers to be rational, logical and sensible is not a bet I wanna take...

In all seriousness, I am very curious to hear what you find once it's installed.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:46 PM
KCW

Garage
Whenever questions about safety come up, I always fall back to the fact that nearly 40,000 people die in vehicle accidents in the US every year, and hundreds of thousands of people are seriously injured and their vehicles are totaled.

That is the soup in which we ride, people are not able to stop running into each other. It keeps me sober on my MC, and keeps me from assuming anything about the other drivers, what they are thinking, what they are seeing, or what they are doing.

In the end it comes down to looking at the speed and path of the other vehicles, and if you are on a collision course then you need to get out of harms way.

I like riding on long stretches of asphalt with no center line, in the middle or nowhere.

Last edited by KCW; 01-30-2018 at 01:54 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Whenever questions about safety come up, I always fall back to the fact that nearly 40,000 people die in vehicle accidents in the US every year, and hundreds of thousands of people are seriously injured and their vehicles are totaled.

That is the soup in which we ride, people are not able to stop running into each other. .
Amen. But we can try to do something about it - by trying to make ourselves more visible.

Ironically, I'm shopping for a jacket now - and I decided that I don't want to go with one of those "bright neon colored" mesh jackets because it won't look cool on a Cruiser. So even though I want to be safe, I'm willing to draw the line when it comes to vanity.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
I used to have the Kuryakyn modulator on my first 2009 Stratoliner S. It was liquid silver and pearl white. With my silver helmet, and headlight flashing, traffic started slowing down in front of me, and sometimes, cars moved over. I, eventually, figures out why they slowed down. In South Carolina, Highway Patrol vehicles are silver.

The Kuryakyn flasher can be turned on/off by flicking the low/high beam switch. Or, if it is off, you get a temporary flashing when you honk your horn. It also, came with the night sensor. Don't want to remove my 2012 Strat Deluxe fairing just for the modulator, but will mount it soon on my 2012 Roadliner S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode