heated gear - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
heated gear

I wanted to buy heated jacket liner & heated pants liner from Cycle Gear but they sales associate told me the pants liner is to be worn against the skin not over my jeans? Does anyone else have heated pants liner? How do you where yours?

Liquid Silver 09 950T VStar w/ Cobra Speedster exhaust; Yamaha Big Bear crash bar; Yamaha passing lights; Kuryakyn throttle lock; Ultimate rider seat, rider backrest, & passenger seat; rear running lights; Wolo Bad Boy air horn; air box mod; K&N filter; oem rear rack; crash bar chaps; Road Ready rear bag; blue LED underglow lights; heated Avon air cushion grips; 3" raised passenger back rest; Cobra Fi2000R O2 fuel programmer; ebay batwing VStar 1300 fairing; rear LED bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 09:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontnonottin View Post
I wanted to buy heated jacket liner & heated pants liner from Cycle Gear but they sales associate told me the pants liner is to be worn against the skin not over my jeans? Does anyone else have heated pants liner? How do you where yours?
I do not have a heated liner but I do have heated gloves and they are the best investment I have ever made. To your question, any type of liner, glove liner, jacket liner, pant liner, is made to be against your skin. Most liners are fairly thin and have no windproofing or waterproofing. Plus the liner is not strong enough to warm through your jeans.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I believe they are supposed to be worn under the jeans, on top of a thin style undergarment (kind of like those new space age fabric thermal underwear). My buddy bought one of the pants liner like you did, and he wears his over his jeans. It acts like a wind break as well as offering some additional heat from the electric elements. He complained that wearing them under his jeans, the heat got too much in one particular area, making them uncomfortable.

Santa brought me a set of pants liners like my friends, and as soon as real life allows, I'll give it a try on both ways. I'm also interested in hearing how others wear their electric gear. It's nice to not have to feel like the Michellin Man on cold days.

NCDaveD

2008 Yamaha V Star 1300 Black Cherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:31 AM

I don't own any heated gear but typically a "liner" goes inside whatever you are wearing. Jacket, gloves, etc. To me putting it under your jeans, or any other garment, now makes it thermal underwear.
My riding jacket has a removable liner but I don't zip it out and wear it under my shirt. That just doesn't makes sense to me.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 02-05-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:16 PM
KCW

Garage
maybe you worded things for simplicity, but if you are actually riding in the cold wearing jeans, you might want to take a different approach.

I ride in the very late fall and early spring in temps down to 40F. I normally wear two pairs of heavy Wrangle or Lee jeans, the outside pair is 2" larger in waist size than my normal pants. I could also wear regular thermal underpants, but its easier to take off an outer pair of extra jeans at work, than to go in the mens room and take off thermal underwear.

I wear a thermal long sleeve T shirt, a heavy cotton shirt, and my 3 layer Tourmaster MC jacket. I made a pull over for my neck and chin, and with a full face helmet and wool socks, the only part of me that normally gets cold is my hands, more specifically my fingers. Riding my normal 30 minute commute Im comfortable. Better still if I have my Memphis Shades "Fats" windshield on the bike. I have a couple pairs of gloves that are tolerable - keeping my hands behind the windshield makes the biggest difference.

If you are going to try to keep part of your body warm with heated clothing, you have to keep your whole body warm then. Your metabolism averages things out, if you have heated pants and a vest, your arms and hands and feet will get cold.

By itself your body generates about 500W of heat just standing or sitting. Keeping that heat trapped is usually all you need.

A different approach would be to get leather pants and a wind tight leather jacket. Even in the open wind leather does not let the cold air strip away the layer of warm and moist air from your skin. I think that riding when its cold out, within reason, is a good form of exercise for your system, keeping yourself warm out in the cold is a bit more robust than riding in a car with the heater set to "toast".

Last edited by KCW; 02-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:28 PM

Garage
I have rode in temps in the teens and have never gotten cold. I wear one of those one-piece snowmobile suits and a leather jacket and chaps. No thermals, just regular pants like jeans underneath for when I take the suit off. You can get one of these for like $30-$60 at Walmart. The liners would be nice to have though for fall riding when its too warm for the suit but too cold for only jeans
KCW and KCW like this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Save your money on heated clothing.
Just layer lightly.
I ride all the time in the winter when there is not any snow or ice on the ground and will be riding tomorrow morning. It will be 30 in the morning and almost 50 for the ride home.
The trick is to keep the wind off you.
I wear a pair of windproof over pants.
When I don't wear those, I wear thermal bottom and top.
I wear a shirt over the top then my leather jacket and a pair of canvas type material pants (carhardt) over the bottom thermals.
Use gloves with gauntlets to prevent air injection.
Regular boots and socks work fine also.
I rode in 24 degree weather new years eve and was fine.
I saw 2 motorcycles on the road this morning matter of fact. I was jealous.
KCW, KCW, brittct and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a pair of leather chaps with a insulated zip out liner and a heavy leather jacket. I have added heated grips a few years ago to the bike. I'm not really much on the leather jacket because I've had the cold come through the jacket, my heavy sweatshirt, tee shirt causing me to get cold in temperatures of low 30's or colder on a long ride. I wanted heated gear to not feel like the michelin man when riding in the cold but was thinking pants liner to wear over my jeans (possibly under my chaps) when riding to work. I also have a couple pair of insulated jeans, a non-leather jacket (has a liner that can be zipped out), insulated carhart bids, and a pair of gator skins.

2 years ago, I took my youngest daughter for a ride in sub 30 temps. Unfortunately, I went to far causing both of us to become cold before we got back home. Since then, I haven't really rode in cold temps.

@NCDaveD, please let us know your real world experience with the heated liners.

Liquid Silver 09 950T VStar w/ Cobra Speedster exhaust; Yamaha Big Bear crash bar; Yamaha passing lights; Kuryakyn throttle lock; Ultimate rider seat, rider backrest, & passenger seat; rear running lights; Wolo Bad Boy air horn; air box mod; K&N filter; oem rear rack; crash bar chaps; Road Ready rear bag; blue LED underglow lights; heated Avon air cushion grips; 3" raised passenger back rest; Cobra Fi2000R O2 fuel programmer; ebay batwing VStar 1300 fairing; rear LED bulbs
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Yeah you have to be acclimated to the cold weather thats for sure.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:14 AM

Garage
Definitely no riding where I live. It goes up to minus 20 Celsius during the day....minus 30 Celsius at night. All the roads are covered in snow and ice. Motorcycling doesn't really start until mid April but it freezes at night at that time of year.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode