All electric Harley - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: Do you think this is a smart move by Harley?
Yes 6 42.86%
No, gas is superior 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brittct's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Asheboro, NC
Posts: 199
Garage
All electric Harley

Harley said that it will start production on the all-new fully electric bike next year. I don't care for the style of bike but I am all for fully electric bikes. Don't get me wrong, I will never prefer an electric bike over a gas, but if it gets more people riding and fewer cars/pollution, I love the idea. Would I buy one? Maybe if I drove it to work every day but I would have to have another gas powered bike. What are yall's thoughts???
Link to article: https://interestingengineering.com/h...ycle-next-year

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
brittct is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,069
Garage
the problem is electric vehicles cannot compete with gas fueled vehicles on cost

so if you already have a MC then getting another electric MC just for commuting will never come close to paying for itself on fuel, maintenance, insurance.... over riding your original bike.

And if you get rid of the gas bike, then your range is down to maybe a couple hundred miles at best, which destroys the freedom of getting on your bike friday evening or saturday morning, and coming back two or three days later, after going wherever you felt like riding.

In fact, if you have a mid size or larger bike, it does not even pay to get a 250 Rebel, or a scooter for commuting - the economics just dont work out.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
KCW is online now  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brittct's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Asheboro, NC
Posts: 199
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
the problem is electric vehicles cannot compete with gas fueled vehicles on cost

so if you already have a MC then getting another electric MC just for commuting will never come close to paying for itself on fuel, maintenance, insurance.... over riding your original bike.

And if you get rid of the gas bike, then your range is down to maybe a couple hundred miles at best, which destroys the freedom of getting on your bike friday evening or saturday morning, and coming back two or three days later, after going wherever you felt like riding.

In fact, if you have a mid size or larger bike, it does not even pay to get a 250 Rebel, or a scooter for commuting - the economics just dont work out.
Completly agree. There is no reason for someone with a bike all ready to just buy an electric one to save on gas cost.

Although I would slightly have to disagree with you on the point about riding wherever you want and you cannot do that with an electric. This is assuming that they are going to charge on chargers that are also set up to charge cars. You would really be surprised to find out how many chargers are around you that you never notice. I have been doing lots of research on tesla because I am wanting to purchase one once I get out of college. This same point popped into my head, "What if there are no chargers around me??" Fact is there are lots, you can pull up maps in your area and see tons and tons of chargers everywhere.

Another point about electric bikes is that they are potentially and very easily be a lot faster acceleration wise than gas. Speed does not necessarily attract me, but for a lot of people, it does. I think electric bikes would be a way to get more riders and younger riders. This is something that Harley is really struggling with. Also, I think that more riders would mean fewer cars and less wreaks.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
brittct is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
nurtaeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Whitsett, NC
Posts: 911
Garage
I think electrical vehicles will replace those with internal combustion engines soon (I mean a couple of decades which is relatively soon). The charger network will expand and I bet scientists and researchers will discover a new technology of fast charging/higher capacity batteries, etc...

One thing for sure - Harley is loosing their customers because of baby-boomers getting old. New generation seems to have more interest in Iphones and virtual reality than riding. Perhaps, electrical bikes will put more younger people on 2 wheels because they are more like gadgets on wheels (I've test driven Tesla a couple of times and indeed it is a huge tablet with an option to ride it)

Electric Harley style... if you remove HD logo you will never guess it is a Harley.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
nurtaeff is online now  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brittct's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Asheboro, NC
Posts: 199
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
I think electrical vehicles will replace those with internal combustion engines soon (I mean a couple of decades which is relatively soon). The charger network will expand and I bet scientists and researchers will discover a new technology of fast charging/higher capacity batteries, etc...

One thing for sure - Harley is loosing their customers because of baby-boomers getting old. New generation seems to have more interest in Iphones and virtual reality than riding. Perhaps, electrical bikes will put more younger people on 2 wheels because they are more like gadgets on wheels (I've test driven Tesla a couple of times and indeed it is a huge tablet with an option to ride it)

Electric Harley style... if you remove HD logo you will never guess it is a Harley.
How did you enjoy the Tesla? Which model did you test? I think Harley is going to have to re-invent themselves if they want to continue to be in the top 3 selling motorcycle companies in a decade or more

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
brittct is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,069
Garage
tesla likes to say their cars can go 300 miles on a charge, and go 60mph in 3 seconds

what they dont tell you is you cannot do both. You have to drive below 70mph and get an overnight charge to get 300 miles range. If you pull into a charger at best you are getting another 125 miles in half an hour.

and if you do the 3 second 60 mph stunt a few times, your range drops from 300 miles to about 30. Same if you drive it fast, like 120mph on the autobahn, your range at that speed is only 40 miles.

In a gas powered car thats not an issue - you can put a 30 gallon tank in a BMW and get 600 miles range driving normally, and 100 miles range going 150mph, and refuel in 5 minutes.

Cant have it both ways with an electric car or motorcycle. If you ride it fast you aint going very far.
brittct, brittct, nurtaeff and 1 others like this.
KCW is online now  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
nurtaeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Whitsett, NC
Posts: 911
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittct View Post
How did you enjoy the Tesla? Which model did you test? I think Harley is going to have to re-invent themselves if they want to continue to be in the top 3 selling motorcycle companies in a decade or more
Tesla was actually a lot of fun to drive - instant and flat curve torque was awesome! I've test ridden Model S P85 and P85D. P85D with dual motors was insanely fast in terms of acceleration, 0-60 in about 3.5 sec. But they are overpriced for sure, most of the price comes from the battery. I think P85D was over 100K when I test rode it. I'm really curious to test ride this

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
nurtaeff is online now  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brittct's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Asheboro, NC
Posts: 199
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
Tesla was actually a lot of fun to drive - instant and flat curve torque was awesome! I've test ridden Model S P85 and P85D. P85D with dual motors was insanely fast in terms of acceleration, 0-60 in about 3.5 sec. But they are overpriced for sure, most of the price comes from the battery. I think P85D was over 100K when I test rode it. I'm really curious to test ride this
I am really looking forward to the model 3 tesla if they can get their production on track. There is a dealer near you for that bike you want to test out. It is located at 430 North Eugene Street
Greensboro, NC, USA
nurtaeff and nurtaeff like this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
brittct is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
nurtaeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Whitsett, NC
Posts: 911
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
tesla likes to say their cars can go 300 miles on a charge, and go 60mph in 3 seconds

what they dont tell you is you cannot do both. You have to drive below 70mph and get an overnight charge to get 300 miles range. If you pull into a charger at best you are getting another 125 miles in half an hour.

and if you do the 3 second 60 mph stunt a few times, your range drops from 300 miles to about 30. Same if you drive it fast, like 120mph on the autobahn, your range at that speed is only 40 miles.

In a gas powered car thats not an issue - you can put a 30 gallon tank in a BMW and get 600 miles range driving normally, and 100 miles range going 150mph, and refuel in 5 minutes.

Cant have it both ways with an electric car or motorcycle. If you ride it fast you aint going very far.
Well, this is simple energy conservation law applicable to gas vehicles as well, gas just has a better form of energy storage (energy "density" if you will) than the electricity, but I think technology will find its way out of this trap. China has already been testing a road pavement that can charge electric vehicles on the go. I'm not saying it is effective or very safe, but is is a beginning.

Of course, with all those gas stations and "speed of recharge" gas vehicles are going to be on the roads for a while. But they will be eventually replaced and I think it's gonna happen pretty soon.
brittct and brittct like this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
nurtaeff is online now  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
nurtaeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Whitsett, NC
Posts: 911
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittct View Post
I am really looking forward to the model 3 tesla if they can get their production on track. There is a dealer near you for that bike you want to test out. It is located at 430 North Eugene Street
Greensboro, NC, USA
Yeah, one of our engineers pre-ordered the Model 3 a couple of years ago (when they started taking pre-orders) and he hasn't gotten it as of today

I talked to Zero bike dealer in Raleigh last year, but didn't make it. Hopefully this year... You should come down too!

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
nurtaeff is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome