Yamaha Niken - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yamaha Niken

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...els/2019/niken

Yamaha's 3-wheeled LMW (leaning multi-wheeler) available after this summer. most of the specs aren't even available yet on the site. thoughts?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 PM

I've been keeping tabs on that to finally find out what the msrp is. Can't wait to see non-manufacturer's reviews. There's no way in hell I would ever own one even if going through a pathetic end-life crisis but my curiosity is piqued.
Highwayman likes this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 02-09-2018 at 09:22 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Garage
What is the purpose?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Garage
I think Yamaha is thinking outside to box to sell more bikes. I manage a staff of 60 plus employees with about 50% being millennials. They are always asking me how do I hold my bike up without dropping it. What they see is a small old man (me) holding up this big bike. I've tried to explain you are just balancing the bike, but they really don't understand. I'm not picking on the millennials, just stating a question asked often. So Yamaha is marketing a bike that stands on its own and is sporty looking. Is this their marketing idea to sell more bikes? I don't know but looks like it to me.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
They are always asking me how do I hold my bike up without dropping it. What they see is a small old man (me) holding up this big bike. I've tried to explain you are just balancing the bike, but they really don't understand.
how small are ya? cuz if i saw something like this, i'd probably have questions too.

on a steel horse I ride

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
Bevo, that's a great comeback! Small is a relative term I quess. I'm 5'5" without my boots and 125 pounds with them on 😄. I've been told I'm a cocky little fart. I'm old to my employees (63) and bald. Hopefully you get the picture. I'm not self conscious at all about any of this. But I can out think and out work any of them even on a bad day. My riding buddies hate that I can take a smaller bike and out run them, power to weight is a great thing. Wow, this is way off topic, but hopefully somewhat entertaining. I'm on the left in the picture.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Last edited by lesblank; 02-10-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Wrong picture
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I am trying to decide if I like that bike. I think I will have to see it in person. So do you counter steer it or drive it like a trike?

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Garage
It counter steers, here is quote from Yamaha website:

Unique Double-Tube/Dual-Axis Steering Design
The radical front end of the NIKEN uses paired fork tubes for each front wheel and steering linkages to provide ideal steering geometry and natural steering feel. The system turns and leans like a conventional motorcycle, but with twice the front tire grip. And, like other Yamaha sportbikes, this system provides adjustable compression and rebound damping for a highly tunable ride.
NGM and NGM like this.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

the fork travel must be tremendous. i'd imagine riding it would feel like a bike with training wheels. seems like it would be a lot tougher to lay down than a typical bike. i wonder who the target demographic is? people who want the sportbike experience but now have extra safety to do it? would insurance companies still charge premiums as a normal sportbike?

on a steel horse I ride

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:13 PM
KCW

Garage
it has twice the front tire grip
and it has twice the front end weight

so there is no gain in performance.

the grip of a tire is the coefficient of friction of the tire material on the surface of the road, times the normal force of the weight on the tire.

How is having two front tires any different (better) than having one tire with the same contact patch area?

I have to assume this machine is for people that cant put their feet down and hold up a motorcycle, until they explain otherwise.

Last edited by KCW; 02-11-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode