beginner's bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
beginner's bike

I am wondering why people who talk about bikes that are 1200 cc and less, talk of them as beginners' bikes. What size is an experienced rider's bike? I have a 650 cc. I'm 71 years old and 5'5". My bike is the same size as a Road King. My bike easily gets to the maximum speed limit....probably just as easy as any other bike on the market. If my bike falls, I am pretty certain to be able to pick it up. I'm pretty sure that I won't get all hot and sweaty riding in downtown traffic. I know that a motorcycle is a phallic symbol but I'm surprised at how many people boost their sexual persona with huge motorcycles.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 PM

Don't know why they call it a beginners bike. Used to be 650's and 750s were big bikes. That's like calling a cbr 600 a beginners bike. Guess they figure its smaller and lighter than a big ol pig bike.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 PM
KCW

Garage
In some countries you must ride a bike with a 400cc or smaller engine for the first couple years that you have a license. Then you can get whatever bike you like.

Over 10mph a motorcycle is self balancing. You either know how to ride one or you don't. If you don't it doesn't really matter how big or small it is.

There is no such thing as a small 'beginners car'. If you have to ride a small motorcycle because you are physically horsing it around, take the beginners MSF riding course, and learn how to ride correctly.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

bigger bikes are heavier bikes and more difficult to maneuver, both at slow speeds and with turning and cornering. they are also generally a lot faster than the smaller cruisers because of their increased displacement and subsequent HP, and managing the increased speed and acceleration, along with the handling of a heavier ride, are skills that are better suited to a rider that has some experience. therefore, a lighter, smaller, and less quick bike are better suited for a "beginner" because it's easier to operate versus the bigger bikes. you wouldn't want your newly licensed teenaged kid to start out behind the wheel of the new Dodge Demon.

also, as mentioned before, what constitutes a big bike today was not available 20-30 years ago. today's medium or smaller bikes used to be the big bikes. so you have a generation of bikers who rode those smaller sized bikes and want to graduate to something more powerful as new iterations keep becoming available.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:44 PM
KCW

Garage
its also important to pay attention to HP / torque.

my VS 650 is 40HP stock. A Roadstar 1600 is 63HP inspite of having 2.5X the displacement.

but a bike like the sport touring FJR1300 is 145HP!

there are a lot of factors to consider before you put a new rider on a bike.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:31 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I started on a 950T. 46hp bike. I would still have her if I did not 2 up with the wife a lot. She needed more comfort on the long rides. My son's first bike is a Kawasaki Versys 650. It is also 45 hp, but only weighs 400 lbs. So power to weight ratio is a big difference. The Kawi will wheelie like hell very easy. The 950T would not do it on a bet.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai

Last edited by NGM; 02-20-2018 at 06:36 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
I am wondering why people who talk about bikes that are 1200 cc and less, talk of them as beginners' bikes...
I stopped trying to figure out what the rationale could possibly be and usually just avoid these people. In most cases when it comes to motorcycles they have nothing to say worth listening to.
pauli466 and pauli466 like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 AM
KCW

Garage
for a lot of people life is much simpler when everything is all spelled out in black and white.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
for a lot of people life is much simpler when everything is all spelled out in black and white.
Too bad my white is someone else's black.. lol But if everyone agreed on everything life would be boring and there would never be internet drama over who's e-penis is the biggest :-P

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
The Kawi will wheelie like hell very easy. The 950T would not do it on a bet.
the Bolt will

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode