Videos for Cagers - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Videos for Cagers

I was wondering the ol' interwebs watching motorcycle videos. This one was a "warning" video for 4+ wheeled vehicles about looking twice can save a biker's life.

What videos or tips have you learned throughout the years that would help cagers see us better?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 AM

Garage
Goofy video - but true.
Scrumdown and Scrumdown like this.

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 AM
KCW

Garage
If you are riding around expecting drivers to see you and respect your right of way, you will die.

40,000 people die every year in vehicle accidents. Car drivers cannot stop running into each other and killing each other.

Ride as if no one can see you, or dont ride on the streets.

Cars have crumple zones and padded dashboards and seat belts and air bags for a very simple reason: wagging your finger at someone and telling them to be more careful hasnt worked for the last 100 years since the first person died in a car wreck.

To be fair, the first person to put a motor on a big bicycle went down a hill with a curve too fast, and he also crashed and died.

Last edited by KCW; 02-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Yep its worse now than ever. Even there are laws that prohibits use of cell phones, people still do it and are totally unaware of their surroundings. I actually saw someone using a tablet that was resting on their steering wheel going 30 mph in a 40 mph zone causing traffic to go slow.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 PM

IMO it's only worse now because the size of our population has increased so of course there will be more idiots on the road. In the older days there may not have been cell phones and all kinds of tech to distract a cager but that only meant they were dividing their attention between using electric shavers in the rear view and reading a newspaper while fumbling for the 8-track that fell on the passenger-side floor mat.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 AM
KCW

Garage
there is another aspect to the proliferation of bad drivers.

When I was a kid a 30mph head on collision could easily be fatal - no seat belts, steel dashboard, Peter Pan through the windshield....

Today people are surviving 60mph accidents, insurance buys them a new car, and they are back on the road in days, instead of lying under six feet of dirt.

I know this sounds cold hearted, but the really bad drivers are not getting eliminated by their own bad driving as much as they use to. How many times have you seen a drunk driver gets arrested after killing someone, and is charged with his 6th, 7th or 10th DWI?

Dont get me wrong, its great that cars are safer for people that are in accidents, esp since most people were not responsible for the accident they were involved in. But it does have a downside.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
there is another aspect to the proliferation of bad drivers.

When I was a kid a 30mph head on collision could easily be fatal - no seat belts, steel dashboard, Peter Pan through the windshield....

Today people are surviving 60mph accidents, insurance buys them a new car, and they are back on the road in days, instead of lying under six feet of dirt.

I know this sounds cold hearted, but the really bad drivers are not getting eliminated by their own bad driving as much as they use to. How many times have you seen a drunk driver gets arrested after killing someone, and is charged with his 6th, 7th or 10th DWI?

Dont get me wrong, its great that cars are safer for people that are in accidents, esp since most people were not responsible for the accident they were involved in. But it does have a downside.
My shop installs the ignition interlock for people caught drunk driving. It is amazing how many of them have multiple DUIs.. and how many of them violate with alcohol WITH THE DEVICE IN THE CAR.. WTF you KNOW you cannot blow into it with alcohol... Yet they do.. What is funny is the excuse is the same EVER SINGLE TIME... I was using mouthwash and did not think about it.. Yeaaa Ummm at 1:30 in the morning right outside of Joes Bar???

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:39 AM

When I worked as an EMT and had to respond to vehicle accidents involving DUIs the drunk driver was usually OK but the victims were in bad shape if not dead... the wrong people were being culled.
Summer and Summer like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
When I worked as an EMT and had to respond to vehicle accidents involving DUIs the drunk driver was usually OK but the victims were in bad shape if not dead... the wrong people were being culled.
PJ O'Rourke nailed it decades ago: He called it "Whiffle Life" syndrome... We've given our kids a 'whiffle' life so that even when you get hit with the ball, it doesn't hurt. We've become too coddling. It's never anyone's 'fault'... Even when you 'foul' up, you're provided with excuses, preventions, counseling, etc. And thus you don't learn to not 'foul' up.
Diogenes415 and Diogenes415 like this.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 AM
KCW

Garage
there are trade offs in everything we do.

I think the real problem is not so much that people are now surviving accidents, when they would have been killed in the same accident 40 years ago. I think the problem is we have not 'replaced' the consequences for the people that are causing the accidents.

Of the 40,000 people that die in vehicle accidents every year, and the hundreds of thousands that are seriously injured (in the US) I would guess maybe 3 out of 4 of those people were passengers or other drivers who could not avoid the collision.

To make things right again we need to take the people that are responsible and get them off the roads, for a very long period of time, and in effect knock some sense into them.

Things have gotten so lax that if you want to literally get away with murder, run someone over with your car and then say it was an accident. At most you will get probation for a first offense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode