2000 vstar piston ring job cost - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By CountryB
  • 2 Post By road_slug
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By road_slug
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By road_slug
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
bctrembley44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
2000 vstar piston ring job cost

i think my piston rings may be going bad....slight blue smoke when first starting, then it clears up and then runs smooth... any ideas of ball park price ranges for repair by certified repair shops? I hope this isn't the case though. This issue didn't start until I installed an oil filter relocation kit and accidentally over filed the oil a bit. I have since drained it and started from scratch with the install and oil fill, I am hoping it may just be blowing out some oil that was unable to drain!
bctrembley44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Orlando, FL area
Posts: 124
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bctrembley44 View Post
i think my piston rings may be going bad....slight blue smoke when first starting, then it clears up and then runs smooth... any ideas of ball park price ranges for repair by certified repair shops? I hope this isn't the case though. This issue didn't start until I installed an oil filter relocation kit and accidentally over filed the oil a bit. I have since drained it and started from scratch with the install and oil fill, I am hoping it may just be blowing out some oil that was unable to drain!
That is a typical sign of valve seals leaking. When the engine off, a little oil seeps down the valve stem and then causes smokes when the engine is started. Since the seepage is small it takes a while (like overnight) for enough oil to accumulate to cause smoke. Running there is usually no sign of smoke (unless the seals are really gone).

Worn piston rings will cause smoke while running. Get on the throttle hard then coast (high engine vacuum), then get on the throttle again, if you see smoke now then maybe the rings are worn. Also worn rings will allow combustion gases into the crankcase. Remove the crankcase breathe or pull the oil fill cap and see if any smoke comes out. If no, then your rings are probably good.
bctrembley44 and bctrembley44 like this.

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.
CountryB is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 386
What kind of oil are you using? What weight? Try a different brand oil and see what happens.
bctrembley44 and bctrembley44 like this.
road_slug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 909
Usually if oil gets past the rings it'll be constant and won't clear up. If the motor smokes on startup but then clears that's usually an indication of bad valve seals. I'd first do a compression test and if one of the cylinders is 'weak', put about a teaspoon of oil in that cylinder and test the compression again. If the compression in that cylinder doesn't increase then there's most likely a leak past the valve seal and along the valve guide. Oil getting past a valve can cause carbon deposits on the valve face and seat causing a slight leak and poor compression.

***UPDATE - Looks like CountryB beat me to it ***
bctrembley44 and bctrembley44 like this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 03-10-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Diogenes415 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
bctrembley44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
Thanks for all the info! Y'all rule! I will give this a try today... it will have to be an idle and rev test as that its 32 degrees here is ohio! Hopefully that will be enough to determine rings or valve seal. I am using yamalube SAE 20w/50 and the bike has 35k miles on it. Would y'all recommend a different weight?
bctrembley44 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
bctrembley44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
okay... I just started it up and no smoke come out of exhaust then after it warmed up I revved it up and kept it there for several seconds and after releasing the throttle there was smoke. I did this several times and every time there was smoke...however when I opened the oil fill, there was no smoke coming out of there.
bctrembley44 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bctrembley44 View Post
Thanks for all the info! Y'all rule! I will give this a try today... it will have to be an idle and rev test as that its 32 degrees here is ohio! Hopefully that will be enough to determine rings or valve seal. I am using yamalube SAE 20w/50 and the bike has 35k miles on it. Would y'all recommend a different weight?
That's a good quality oil. I personally use 10-40 because our weather stays colder longer.
Pehaps you are still burning off the residual oil. Maybe check all your crankcase breather lines too.
Pull the plugs and see what they look like.
Ride it around for a couple hundred miles and see if it clears up.
bctrembley44 and bctrembley44 like this.
road_slug is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 909
I prefer to stick with the factory recommended weight for normal operating temps, that being a 40 weight. As for the cold starting 'weight' I opt for the lightest I can get so that the oil, which is thicker when cold, can get pumped through the motor quicker and easier. That's why I run 5W-40 instead of 10w-40, it flows easier like a straight 5 when cold instead of a thicker straight 10 but once at operating temps flows just like a straight 40 would.
bctrembley44 and bctrembley44 like this.
Diogenes415 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
I prefer to stick with the factory recommended weight for normal operating temps, that being a 40 weight. As for the cold starting 'weight' I opt for the lightest I can get so that the oil, which is thicker when cold, can get pumped through the motor quicker and easier. That's why I run 5W-40 instead of 10w-40, it flows easier like a straight 5 when cold instead of a thicker straight 10 but once at operating temps flows just like a straight 40 would.
I went with valvoline 10w\40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. Cost 5 bucks a quart at the wallyworld. Cranks just as fast at 24 degrees as it would at 80 degrees.
bctrembley44 and bctrembley44 like this.
road_slug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome