Battery tender - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By redcat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Battery tender

Anyone using a battery tender and do the pig tales mount ok on the battery terminals under the seat without a problem ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:01 AM

Garage
Lots of friends have them and the pigtails usually just bolt onto the battery terminals . Personally i Just have a 1 amp charger that i use . I don't mind taking the seat off to access the battery. But i guess i could add the pigtail and change the ends of the charger. Hey it was on sale at the local hardware store for $10. Through the winter I just charge it once a month for 8-10 hours and I'm good to go .

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM

I installed an automatic tender this winter. Bought it at harbor freight. It comes with the pigtail and also clamps.
It has an led that gives you the status of the charge.
Works good. Haven't had a problem and battery remains at full charge.
I did have to put a longer screw on the terminals because of the extra thickness of the of the rings.
Super convienient. Unplug, turn on the gas and hit the starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 AM
KCW

Garage
A lot of motorcycles, like my '05 vstar 650, have no power drain when the key is turned off. There is no key fob or security system drawing power.

If your bike is simple like this, then you should be able to park the bike over the winter, and just check the battery voltage once a month like Mrdub said. If its low bump it up with a charger till it hits 13V and you are good for another month.

I was going to buy a battery tender, but they were $30, and I only paid $25 for my MC battery (got it online). I could make one with a 12V wall adapter (500mA) by putting a linear 12V regulator on the output, so it would never push the battery up over 12V, but then I have to plug it in, have a wire running across the garage all winter... Its easier to just leave the side cover off the 650 and spot check the voltage once a month.

If your bike has a bunch of stuff that is drawing power when the key is 'off', then yes, you definitely need a tender. Lead acid batteries MUST be recharged right after they are used, or the battery will quickly fail. If it slowly drains down over the winter, the battery is ruined.
Scrumdown and Scrumdown like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Garage
OEM battery on my wife's 650 decided to die last year. I replaced it and bought a tender and pigtail connector from Amazon ($25 for everything). Installed the pigtail, tucked it away under the seat, but in a way it can be pulled out. Been keeping it on the tender for last 3 months, no problems. Tender preserves the battery and makes it last longer.

Still need to redo the connector and add a fuse just in case...

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack z View Post
Anyone using a battery tender and do the pig tales mount ok on the battery terminals under the seat without a problem ?
Yes. Been set up like that for 6 years.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode