Mileage - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mileage

Hey gang, I am new to forum but not new to Yamahas. 1977 RD400D 1979 Xs 750 2003 Vstar 1100 classic. I bought all those bikes new . The Xs 750 probably back in the day had the most miles for those days I think I sold it in 1981 with 35k on it . Used that bike alot going to school and work. My V star had about 12k when I sold it to buy my new 2006 Goldwing. My question is this is the 1st time I plan on buying a used motorcycle. I am set on the Vstar 1300 in 08 / 09 model range. There are quite a few in our aera for sale . My question
To those that bought used whats the deal breaker on mileage? If its got a lot of miles do you buy it? .And whats the mileage you pass the bike up at. There are a few here that have very low miles 5 to 8 k. Some in 45 k and above. My Wing I have for sale had 42 k barley broken in for a wing. Thoughts from used buyers please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 02:28 PM

Garage
Bought mine with 53,000 miles on it and in 2 seasons now over 65,000 miles.. only work done was oil changes and brakes..There are quite a few 1300's going strong over the 65,000 mile mark. i have seen some over 120,000 miles and still no issues other than regular maintenance ..clutch ..brakes.. oil changes..plugs.. etc..

I bought mine for $4200cdn 2 years ago but mine is a base model not a tourer or deluxe.. i've seen many deluxe or tourer go for under $5000 us lately.. check the for sale forum.

If i had the option when i bought mine i would have gone for at least a tourer.. hard bags and windshield incl on bike.

Just my $0.02

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:47 PM
KCW

Garage
where I live in upstate NY there are so many low mileage Vstar bikes for sale that I dont think I would buy one with more than 10k miles on the odo.

It all depends on price of course, but I think I would be more worried about how old the bike is over mileage. Esp bigger bikes, a lot of people buy them and never ride them much, then sell them 10 years later with less than 10k miles on the bike, for 1/3 to 1/4 what they paid for it.

You put a lot of time and energy into your motorcycle, get the one with the most life left in it that you can find.
Scrumdown and Scrumdown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode