Got Go-pro, 360Fly, etc experience - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By road_slug
  • 2 Post By brittct
  • 4 Post By NCDaveD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got Go-pro, 360Fly, etc experience

Thinking about getting something like a go-pro camera with a helmet or handlebar mount to record trips, scenery, or use as evidence. Actually, just recording some of the idiot stuff that people do on the highway would be pretty entertaining.

Are these cameras worth the money and do they work as advertised?
Are they heavy? Would a helmet mount be uncomfortable after awhile?
How long can they record? Do you switch them on and off all the time or just let 'em run?

The 360Fly camera says it records 360 degrees. ??? Really? That must burn some memory.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:11 PM

From my experience a helmet mount is the way to go if your state/fed laws allow it (so far I've only read about restrictions in the U.K.). I don't have experience with the GoPros but have used a couple of Contour Roam cams for about 6 years and they are so light that I can't even feel them attached to my helmet.

IMO the 360 is still just a novelty given the odd perspective and reduction in image quality even at moderate distances... I can't imagine that license plate numbers would be readable and everything just looks so fish-eye weird.
graybeard and graybeard like this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 03-20-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Contour roam. checking it out, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

there are dozens of different camera options now for all around the same price range, and they're probably all going to give you 1080p HD quality. i personally wouldn't want a helmet cam because that's extra weight and drag on your head. you see motovloggers with those, but they are primarily riding at slower speeds through cities. so if that's your goal, then get a helmet cam. otherwise, just about any sports cam will have mount accessories for your handlebar, pegs, engine guard, or just about anywhere else you can think of on your bike. i agree the 360 thing is a novelty. it's cool, but i wouldn't want all my videos looking like that. unless there's been significant increase in battery performance, i'd say you can expect about 4-6 hours of recording between charges. my gopro cameras are both at least 6 years old, but if i were looking for something new right now, i'd see which camera gives the better performance in adverse lighting conditions. youtube is great for seeing examples of video quality for probably any camera you want to research.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 AM

I have a go pro hero 3 on my helmet and do not notice drag. I also have a condenser Mic going under my helmet.
If you are worried about drag, you could go chin mount on your helmet but depending of the curvature of your helmet, a regular stick on mount won't work and will have to fabricobble a mount.
I haven't been out recording lately but still have some video I need to edit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Garage
I got a GoPro 4 black and it is great, not heavy and good picture quality. If I were you, I would get the hero session black. It looks like a small cube, they are very very light and have amazing video quality. The only reason I don't have a session is that they do not make a dive case for them and that is what I mainly use mine for. Also, you can get them on eBay or whatever, don't be scared to buy used.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_slug View Post
will have to fabricobble a mount.
Excellent phraseology.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Helmet Cams

My buddy bought a Countour Roam II for our cross country trip last year, and had quite a few issues with it that caused us to not be able to document with video over half of our trip. Some issues due to operator error, but a lot due to not knowing when the camera was on or off, and the on board batteries not lasting long enough. He had it mounted behind his windshield on a shelf, and a lot of vibration made it to the video we did get.

After the trip, he purchased a Hero Session and mounted it to his helmet. BIG difference, needless to say. Still learning how to operate it well, but the video is much better w/o all that vibration.

No matter which one you purchase, make sure you spend time learning how to use it. Getting it a week before a big trip is NOT the way to insure good video.

NCDaveD

2008 Yamaha V Star 1300 Black Cherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode