Throttle lock? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Throttle lock?

Any one use a throttle lock? Likes? Dislikes? Brand to look for? V Star 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 PM

There are quite a few options out there of which I've tried several over the years but right now I'm using this cheap setup and it certainly does the job.
Mrdub and Mrdub like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:36 PM

Garage
Personally I have the GO Cruise style throttle control . It holds well enough that you can let go for quite awhile. yes it will slowly release the throttle over time but you have rested your hand long enough that it's not an issue. The biggest advantage i find IMO is that it never "locks" the throttle. You can roll on or off with little interference if needed. Easily adjustable to maintain speed. It's just friction holding the throttle.. not "locking" it. Cost is cheap..usually found for under $30.

Personally i would have one of these on my Bike over any mechanical locking device. Can be easily installed or removed without tools at anytime such as if your concerned on it being stolen just take it off and it can go in your pocket..

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Garage
I've got one like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VISTA-C...-/371901655533

Like Mrdub said, " It holds well enough that you can let go for quite awhile. yes it will slowly release the throttle over time but you have rested your hand long enough that it's not an issue. The biggest advantage i find IMO is that it never "locks" the throttle. You can roll on or off with little interference if needed. Easily adjustable to maintain speed. It's just friction holding the throttle.. not "locking" it. Cost is cheap..usually found for under $30," my experience is identical. Only thing I'll add is the bike will slow and speed up as you go up and down hills. Maybe stating the obvious, it is not "cruise control".

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:39 AM

If you travel any distance at all then a throttle lock is a must have item. Your right hand will thank you! I have used NEP cruise controls on several bikes, also have used the Omni cruise style. All are good, some just have advantages over others. Currently on my 650 I'm using one I made myself. It has a small lever that is adjustable so I control how hard it grips the throttle similar to the vista cruise. It should be noted that any throttle lock should be adjusted so you can roll off the throttle easily in an emergency, ie. not LOCKED!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Garage
I bought the Kuryakyn 6218 Universal Econo-Throttle Assist. It's a Throttle Lock but it's a friction lock and even when locked, I can rotate the throttle if needed. I got it a few years back on sale for like $25. It stays put over time though - no slow roll. As mentioned, it's not a cruise control and will not maintain a constant speed in any sort of hilly travel. Also, I just cannot use it at all when riding in a group. Seems nobody maintains any sort of consistant speed when riding in a group

I also have one on those slip-on palm rests. This too helps on long rides. You can release your grip and maintain speed with just the pressure of your palm. Two cheap solutions that really helped.
Diogenes415 and Diogenes415 like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Garage
My issue with the Kuryakyn 6218 is it has that double mounting point that has the bar that crosses the right switches..The other major issue for me is too many adjustments.. if you over tighten or don't adjust it properly both can have issues.

The Go cruise is simple and no adjustments.. i'd rather the throttle slowly roll off than be difficult to roll off or having to fuss with getting it off if too tight.. I guess I like simple .

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

the omni-cruise has no slow roll off. it stays put indefinitely until you manually twist the throttle.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:09 PM

A throttle boss came on my bike when I bought it. You can use the edge of your palm and loosen your fingers or flat palm the throttle. Use it all the time and has adjustable angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode