Tie down locations on bike. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tie down locations on bike.

I was watching some YouTubes on the best way to tie down a bike, and I saw a couple that are different from what I've always done, but make sense.

They said to always tie a bike down using the front forks but at a point that does not compress the forks. You wrap a soft-strap around the fork as high as possible but not in the compressive part of the fork. So you can ratchet the straps pretty tight (straps will not loosen due to bike suspension movement) and you are not compressing the forks. This said to be better because it allows the bikes suspension to still work as trailer hits bumps and doesn't put any force on forks that could cause a seal to blow.

It makes sense to me. What do you think?

I have another thread about tying down my bike on my RV carrier - but wanted to post separately here because this method would be used regardless of the trailer or carrier you have. Assuming the method makes sense to all.

Here is a photo mockup of what I'm talking about (red lines show strap tied to forks below point where forks compress).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie down locations.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	78810  

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:43 PM

This is what I do, but I strap it even lower, but I then need to use some balancing straps up high, they only hold the some weight when going around a turn.
I use fully locking straps for this, as since the top straps are above the suspension, they will go slack, don't use straps with hooks. I have an eztrack system setup, so all my tracks click in and will not come back out.

Homedepot sells some keeper brand straps that have a closer on their hooks that can get the job done also.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good ideas. Thanks.

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:20 PM
KCW

Garage
since the other thread about strapping a bike by the handlebars came up, this whole thing has been simmering on the back burner for me too.

If you strapped down the front and back wheels really tight, the suspension on the bike requires the wheels to be free to roll. Because of the rake of the fork, when the front fork is compressed the patch of the front tire is closer to the patch of the rear tire on the pavement. If the wheels are all strapped down and cannot move forwards or back, then the front forks cannot bounce up and down. If it did there would be terrible bending forces on the front fork.

I have seen straps you put over the wheels with pads, looks kinda like a bra-cup or something you would carry a baby in. That would have the same problem with the suspension on the bike trying to pull the wheels closer together when the front fork compresses.

This all makes me wonder how motorcycles are shipped from the factory? If anyone here has every worked at a dealership maybe they would know?

It seems to me the weight of the bike wants to be 100% on the frame during shipping.

Google knows all, tells all:

http://i.imgur.com/7tYl9R2.jpg

Last edited by KCW; 03-26-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
since the other thread about strapping a bike by the handlebars came up, this whole thing has been simmering on the back burner for me too.

If you strapped down the front and back wheels really tight, the suspension on the bike requires the wheels to be free to roll. Because of the rake of the fork, when the front fork is compressed the patch of the front tire is closer to the patch of the rear tire on the pavement. If the wheels are all strapped down and cannot move forwards or back, then the front forks cannot bounce up and down. If it did there would be terrible bending forces on the front fork.

I have seen straps you put over the wheels with pads, looks kinda like a bra-cup or something you would carry a baby in. That would have the same problem with the suspension on the bike trying to pull the wheels closer together when the front fork compresses.

This all makes me wonder how motorcycles are shipped from the factory? If anyone here has every worked at a dealership maybe they would know?

It seems to me the weight of the bike wants to be 100% on the frame during shipping.

Google knows all, tells all:

http://i.imgur.com/7tYl9R2.jpg
Good points.

-Mike
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Normally don't strap the back wheel to be unmovable, just so it doesn't slide side to side.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM

Hmm, youtube is limited on videos for this. All the unboxing ones are grabbing the highway bars and the seat frame, for the cruisers.
For sportbikes they are cheating, and clamping it on top of the bike, and on the side on the engine mounts, and then only thing for the tires is to make sure they don't slide side to side.

Seems like only dirtbikes ship without tires these days, when I got my sportbike back in the 90's it came without the tires mounted on it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:25 PM
KCW

Garage
without tires?!

just the tire or the whole wheel?

I cannot imagine a MC sitting on its wheels with no tires - that would put all the weight of the bike on a very small edge where the rim touches the ground.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:52 PM

no, the whole wheel, normally bolt down the axle and the top of the forks.

Now strapping it down low, to not compress the shocks, I believe started with dirt bikes. I wonder if the fork seals are weaker, or if you just can create a lot more compression in them, due to their normal travel length of 6-8" or maybe more, vs cruisers of around 4" of travel. installing fork brace between the trippletree and the front wheel only happens on dirt bikes for the same reason, not to overcompress your shocks and blow the seal.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 PM

Garage
When I got my brand new 2013 Honda Shadow Phantom in 2014 it was crated and it came without the front wheel assembly attached and the frame was mounted to blocks to hold it up.

Quite a few other parts had to be either put in place or installed when it arrived. Handlebars..seat assembly..foot pegs..hand controls were connected but not mounted.

At the end of this all I am just hoping with all the suggestions for CountryB he gets his bike safely tethered down and enjoys safe travels with it on his motorhome and many great miles riding this year.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in