Helmet help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Helmet help

Posted this question yesterday, but must have done something wrong, because I can't find it now.

I just got my first bike, now needing a helmet. I've always wanted a spider-man themed bike, helmet and jacket. So starting off with the helmet.

I found the HJC RPHA 11 Pro helmet, and seems to meet the look I'm wanting, and at a price I can afford. But I've been reading things about it, saying it is more appropriate to a crotch rocket style tucked position and not a cruiser upright style of riding.

Is there anything about this helmet that would make it not appropriate for wearing on my V-star? Any reason to not get this helmet?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPHA11-spider-02left1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	79154   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CAF138C-79F5-403E-A67D-97827D89D285.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	79162  

-KJ from Missouri

2007 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 AM

I have that same helmet with the boba fett paint job. It's my third RPHA helmet and it's HJC's top of the line racing helmet (I wear mine on the track too). there is nothing functionally that makes a racing helmet less appropriate for a cruiser other than the look of it. I will say a full face helmet is designed to be used in a tuck so you may experience buffeting under the chin while sitting upright, but that depends on whether or not you are riding with a fairing.

I will say it's not the quietest helmet I've owned or the lightest, but it does the job at a fair price without being a "cheap" helmet. I've seen those on closeout and thought they were a great deal for HJC's top of the line helmet.

Besides, my girlfriend likes my face and would like to keep it as is.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:36 AM
KCW

Garage
I have one of the early RPHA helmets, the ones with the plastic R on the forehead (that pealed right off).

I love it, If you are riding behind a windshield at highway speeds any 'sport' aspect of its design wont matter.

I got mine from motorcyclegear.com for $120 new (old stock by a couple years). I have not seen them that cheap since, but its good to check. They usually dont have all the sizes, but if they do you can save a couple hundred bucks.

The best part of the RPHA helmets is they are carbon fiber composite, and are at least 1 lb lighter then a fiber glass helmet.

If you wear glasses make sure you get one with the channels cut out (it will say eyeglass compatible on the HJC website for that model helmet), otherwise you will have to modify the foam pads to be able to squish your glasses onto your face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Can anyone comment on sizing? I've not been able to try these on, because no store within 75 miles stocks them.

My head measures 22.5" which puts me at the upper end of a Medium according to HJC's sizing chart for this helmet. But every other helmet I have tried on, I either need a Lg or XL. This will be my first helmet and I'm leary about ordering online without being able to try it on first.

-KJ from Missouri

2007 V-Star 650 Classic
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:30 AM

depends on the shape of your head, this is a rounder fit. I wear a large, i have no idea how big my head measures.

motorcycle gear.com has been very helpful to me in the past and has this helmet on clearance:
HJC RPHA 11 Pro Spiderman Helmet :: MotorcycleGear.com

They also have a helmet sizing system call ed lid picker that costs $20, but you get a $15 gift card back.
LidPicker helps you find the right motorcycle helmet fit! :: MotorcycleGear.com
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Spider, wear what you want whether it's in keeping with tradition or going against the grain.
Scrumdown and Scrumdown like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:31 PM
KCW

Garage
I used the sizing chart for the HJC helmets at the motorcyclegear website, and got a good fit.

You measure your skull with a tape measure and pick the helmet size with the range that matches that. If you are at the edge of the size range, then one will feel tighter than the next size up.

When people buy helmets in a MC shop they tend to buy ones that are too big, esp a full face helmet. Pulling it on your head should be... well.. stressful, and when its strapped on it should feel snug.

There are videos online about this - if you can twist it sideways or pull it forward half off your head, its too big. The cheekpads esp tend to feel snug, because there is nothing else that we normally wear that holds your cheek bones like that.

If you put a helmet on your head and it feels comfortable, like a hat, its too big.

Last edited by KCW; 04-04-2018 at 02:35 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
Like Diogenes415 said ... wear whatever you want. IMO, something covering your grey matter is better then nothing. That said ...

If you have a shop around you that sells helmets ... Make a visit. Wear one you like for at least 15 minutes to make sure there aren't pressure point that will make the ride yucky.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 PM
KCW

Garage
I checked a couple shops in my area - they all carry the low price HJC helmets, but not the ~$300 retail RPHA carbon ones.

They sell Shoei and ... I want to say Arai, but not RPHAs.

I got all my original gear 5 years ago from a local bike dealer. Sales guy helped me pick out jacket, gloves, helmet, and I went back for boots. Bought everything from him the first time.

Since then my boots have worn through on the bottom on the left boot, and I have bought the same boots online (local shop stopped selling them?! ) and gotten a couple different pairs of gloves from other places.

I took a chance replacing my original HJC modular helmet with the RPHA from an online shop. I would never get a deal like that from a local MC shop - but I would feel bad trying on helmets from a local guy, then buying it online.

I really do appreciate having a local MC shop where I can get my bike inspected, tires mounted on my wheels, maintenance parts when I need them in a fix, and I don't mind paying them more for the convenience. But I'm not paying hundreds of dollars more for something I can get online.

One example: the local dealer only had $240 "high performance" batteries for my 650. I got a standard glass mat MC battery online for $25 with free shipping - 3 years ago, no issues.

Last edited by KCW; 04-04-2018 at 06:11 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 PM

I have an hjc treague. I purchased it for price, protection and comfort. Also has vents on the top and chin. I have a mirrored shield and works great in bright sun.
Never had anyone say its not a cruiser helmet or anything negative about it.
Actually got a few compliments on how it looks.
I got the black and blue because it matches my cold weather jacket and my leather jacket when its warmer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download_1522888745249.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	79234  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode