Leather chaps - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Leather chaps

I just bought a pair of leather chaps. The price was too low to let slide by. The chaps are made by a company called "Choko" which became popular here in Quebec due to it's high quality leather snowmobile attire. The leather is rather thick but very soft and flexible and the upper part is doubled with polyester. I am sure that the leather is water resistant but I doubt it is completely water proof. Has anyone here used a silicone water repellent on their leather chaps and what were the results?

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage
I am in the market for some Chaps. Where do you find them from Choko? I looked at their site and all I saw was snowmobile clothes.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 PM

There's no such thing as waterproof leather and IMO you do not want to use silicone on leather. Leather is there to protect you from abrasion... if you're riding in wet weather you need to rely on a good rain suit to shed water. Even if you think that you found a truly waterproofing agent for leather, the fact that you're wearing chaps won't prevent you from getting a wet crotch so just wear a rain suit or deal with getting waterlogged... the latter really is not that big of a deal once you get above certain temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd757 View Post
I am in the market for some Chaps. Where do you find them from Choko? I looked at their site and all I saw was snowmobile clothes.
I've seen chaps from Jafrum and LeatherUp that were pretty damned nice, had zip-out insulation and were made of thick cowhide at ridiculously low prices.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
I've seen chaps from Jafrum and LeatherUp that were pretty damned nice, had zip-out insulation and were made of thick cowhide at ridiculously low prices.
I've bought two from LeatherUp over the years. Good value for the money. But, last couple years I just put on rain pants which I think keep you warmer and definitely keep you dryer.
Diogenes415 and Diogenes415 like this.

2013 Colbalt Blue Strat
2009 Stratoliner (new Nov 2011) (retired 2017)
Darkside #115
Venture trunk/backrest
Lindy Hwy Bar
Flanders Touring Bar
Yamaha Light bar w/DayMaker LED lamps
350LM Garmin GPS
Volt gauge
Ultimate seat
Rivco passenger boards
Stebel horn
Braided clutch & brake cables
Clearview windshield w/Memphis shade lowers
SS Cycle oil pressure guage
Superbright 10W LEDS mounted on crashbar
Bridgestone Ecopia 215/55R-17 w/Pirelli Night Dragon front
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 PM

Garage
I bought these a little over 3 years ago from Jafrum.

Plan was to buy a better pair soon, but these turned out to be OK. They are medium weight. I wear them in the cooler months, Houston is too hot during summer. Quick math, I commute daily, 5 days a week, so wearing them half the year that's 360 days I've used them. No issues but they are now beginning to show wear. The lower legs and knees have gotten worn by road debris (sand and dirt) continuous getting blasted on interstate. Would I buy them again? The answer is maybe.

Recently I bought these for my wife.

These are much nicer. Softer leather, belt is wider and better mesh lining. She has only about 20 rides on them. I would lean toward the men's version on my next pair.

If you want a good laugh here is a picture on me wearing the chaps on a 40 degree morning on a recent trip with wife.

Diogenes415 and Diogenes415 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksider View Post
... But, last couple years I just put on rain pants which I think keep you warmer and definitely keep you dryer.
I agree on both accounts. However I deal with chaps for slide protection which rain gear sucks at. Sure wearing full leather pants would be a smarter alternative but they can get friggin hot during the summer and overheating is not a good option because of the physical/mental toll it takes. It's easier to slip out of a pair of chaps than leather pants at a rest stop and not get arrested for indecent exposure or wielding a dangerous weapon (yeah, I had to throw that kind of crass joke in there somewhere) so I wear chaps. Sure chaps offer limited protection but at my age I have plenty of saddle hardened ass-meat to sacrifice to the asphalt gods in a crash yet still walk away smiling (and trimmer looking) so I don't worry about that much.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fd757 View Post
I found the chaps by accident at a local Yamaha distributor. The seller did not even know that he had chaps in the store. He showed me some chaps that I could order at a cost of 180 dollars. The chaps I saw were at 60 dollars with 30% off. Since they were Choko, I quickly bought them because I knew that they manufactured good snowmobile wear. They are the type without a belt. They fit great. I bought the last pair. Up here where I live, hot weather is rare. Not many evenings when you don't have to wear a jacket so you can imagine that riding in the evening without a jacket almost never happens. Even during the day, a jacket is handy. 20 degrees celsius is considered very warm. I am sure that the chaps will cut the cold. I was hoping that silicone would make them a bit more rain resistant. It often cloudy with a few drizzles up here.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Garage
I have a cheap pair of chaps and to be honest.. no point in water proofing them.. they have enough protection that water tends to bead off them anyway.. leaving the leather alone seems to work well. The only other option might be to use mink oil.. softens the leather and adds a lil water repellent and conditions the leather to not dry out but again ..you have to maintain and re apply it. .

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 04:40 PM

Not a big fan of chaps. Thought about it but went with overpants for wind, rain and cold resistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode