Helmet Troubles - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Helmet Troubles

I have yet to wear a helmet that doesn't catch the wind and try to rip my head off. I live in SC and theres no helmet law so I haven't been wearing a helmet for this reason. I would really like to start wearing one if I can find one that doesn't catch the wind like crazy. It is very uncomfortable for me and puts a lot of stress on my neck.

Any recommendations on low profile half or 3/4 helmets that don't catch wind in your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 AM

Garage
I guess another related question is how is your bike set up ?? Windshield...Fairing... nothing ??

The helmets your buying or trying.. are you getting them with the lil visors.. i found they always caught the wind..

I have one of these beanies with no visor.. we have helmut laws here but i find this is light weight and comfortable.If your looking for something simple yet comfortable.

https://www.bikerhelmets.com/

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

No windshield or fairing. I have tried a few different brands of visorless 3/4 helmets but haven't tried a beanie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:53 AM

Garage
I use a half helmet and tried one that caught the wind so bad the chin strap felt like it was strangling me. But I found one by GMax (GM65S) at the local Harley dealer that has a little visor and works great. It even has a hidden flip down visor for your eyes. With or without the windshield I've never had an issue with it. I believe it was around $100 Canadian.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
These are light weight and once they wear into your head i find mine is very comfortable without the weight. I still don't like the visors..They really don't do much anyway like they do on a ball cap. For me this is the lightest way to stay legal and comfortable. There are other brands that make these smaller beanies but that is the one i have cuz he used to have a store local to me

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Garage
The only type of helmet I've ever used that has "caught the wind" is a 3/4 helmet. The below helmet is the 1/2 helmet I use and recommend. It's my day ride helmet for my bike that doesn't have a windshield/faring. Best and lightest DOT 1/2 helmet I've every owned. No wind issues for me with this helmet.

https://www.blackbeardsgear.com/onli...lmet-p36081417
Mrdub and Mrdub like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Daytona Helmets advertise they have the smallest profile DOT skid lids on the market. i've worn 2 of their helmets for the past several years with and without a windshield and i don't get any buffeting or drag. the one on the left is the Daytona and on the right is what i got at the dealer off the shelf.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
try a modular you can ride with it open and if heavy cross winds come up you can close it, the only time my 3/4 gmax tugs is in crosswinds or bucking a headwind and i have a 18 inch windshield, if it's cold or it's going to be a windy day i use my full helmet, i'll be getting a modular, if i can find one thats not too heavy so i won't need two helmets

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 04-21-2018 at 06:52 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
My last four helmets, HJC 33 (3/4), Speed and Strength full face, HJC full face, Speed and Strength Modular. I rotate helmets as I ride daily and they get nasty inside real quick in the Houston heat and humidity. I take out liner and wash, wear another helmet while it dries. I ride with and windshield, about 50/50. No baffling on any of them. Good luck on finding what works for you.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:12 PM

My wife and I use Arai Corsair X full face helmets, they fit us well and are comfortable to wear. I like the Arai commitment to quality and safety, I also use Snell certified helmets.

I don't buy into Dexter Ford's whining about Snell standards, Dexter Ford has had an ongoing feud against Snell for a long time. When all is said and done Dexter Ford is nothing more than a writer who thinks he is smarter than those who actually design, build and test helmets.

In Dexter Ford's blowing the lid off propaganda piece the helmet he said was the safest was tested by web bike world and they did not by it, they said that if the helmet is not comfortable it was not going to be worn so what real good would it be?

That was a great point. I will trust Arai and Snell long before I trust a magazine writer about the safety of a helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode