Phone charger question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By AlphaOmega
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By jbasile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Phone charger question

I purchased a 3.1A double USB charger that had an SAE connector with the hopes of using it to charge my phone on rides. Installed nice and clean, connected to the pigtail on the battery that had a 7.5A fuse inline.
Quick checks before heading out and even a 15 minute ride and everything worked well. Left the phone charging with the bike off with no trouble, started back up for the next leg of the trip and noticed it wasn't charging. Pulled the seat and the fuse was blown. No biggie, replaced it with a 10A, due to availability, after I made it home.
Connected the pigtails and immediately popped the fuse and saw smoke...turns out the USB side had smoked and changed color.
Contacted the retailer and they sent a replacement right away.
Connected the new one to the pigtail, new 10A fuse, bike off, starting, running...no issues. Plugged the charge cable in and tried all again, no issues. Plugged in my Galaxy S7 and everything worked great. Let it run and sit with the bike off for a few minutes each with no trouble. I unplugged the pigtail and reconnected it (with the bike off, phone plugged in) and phone no longer charged, even attempted with different charging cables.

Anyone had any similar trouble or have any ideas on why it would work until I reconnected the pigtail with phone connected?

TLDR version: USB charger connected to battery tender pigtail smoking and not working
*edited to correct phone

Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-02-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:59 PM

Garage
I put a marine 12 volt outlet on my bike. Wired to running light circuit. Didn't want to take a chance of short circuit and running battery down leaving me stranded. I plug a USB adapter into outlet. Everything worked great at first. Then started blowing the USB adaptor. At first I had cheap adaptors. Went thru several. Then I bought a good adaptor and problem solved. I took one of the old adaptors apart and the wires inside are very thin gauge. I mean thin link my hair, I'm bald 😀. It seemed the bikes vibration was too much for cheap electronics. That's what I get for being a tight wad. My suggestion is to not wire it up direct to battery but to a circuit that is only on when key is on and use marine grade USB. I almost bought one simular to yours but read fine print and it was not waterproof. I commute daily and get rained on often. Below of are pictures on my set up. Yes, I know my bike is dirty, rain yesterday. The bracket for outlet is attached to headlight screw. First picture is from front of bike looking between triple tree and headlight, was hard to get good picture. Second picture is from back of triple tree. I used some wire loom to cover so it would blend in some. Third picture is phone in holder hooked up. Current setup is going strong for over two years. Hope this helps some.

This is like the one I bought.

AlphaOmega and AlphaOmega like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks on the reply Les. I put some of the issue on the material quality, even with this one listing as "weatherproof", it did have a cap on it after all haha.

I will have to look at a higher quality one or running a set up like you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:08 AM

I have one of these on each one of my bikes and never had a problem. Wired straight to the battery with an inline fuse that came with it. I use it to charge the phone and supply power to my Satellite Radio at the same time. Hope this helps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171734321042

2008 Stratoliner
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokerb View Post
I have one of these on each one of my bikes and never had a problem. Wired straight to the battery with an inline fuse that came with it. I use it to charge the phone and supply power to my Satellite Radio at the same time. Hope this helps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171734321042
Damnit man I wish I'd seen this one before I bought the one I bought. The mount is sized to fit a pencil (claimed for motorcycle bars). Cheap plastic mount. I tossed the phuch'n thing. Useless. Seller never responded. Still no port on the Yamaha. I'll get to it one of these days but not from flea-bay.

Ebay doesnt allow you to put in a negative review anymore so I ate it.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I will give the seller credit. I messaged them Sunday night and had a new one in hand Wednesday when I got home from work. Which I promptly burned up.

I tried it in steps: bike off, bike starting ,and bike running going from just the charger, to the factory phone cord, to the phone....everything worked until I cut the bike off and unplugged the pigtail and plugged it back in. I had the phone connected at that time. Burned the charger up again.

Next option was a phone cradle handlebar mount with a 2A output charger all combined...was lost in transit unfortunately.

Today I stopped by the HD shop for a poker run and ran in and bought a Battery Tender brand USB adapter. I plugged it in to the battery pigtail and routed around to where I could run my phone charge cord up to the handlebar mount I have (CawCar....love it) and the little adapter did great. Not only kept up with Google Maps and Google Music going, with the screen off most the time, on my Galaxy S7, but actually brought the battery level up.

The intention for the cradle/charger that never showed up was to run it off the Aux power pigtail under the seat of the Raider. That way it would be keyed on/off and fused and relatively clean install.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
Last month my wife and I went on a three day trip. Day one and three we were on the bike over 9 hours. I was running Google Maps, Cradar, Streaming music and running bluetooth for our helmet intercom. Phone was at 100 percent when we left and 100 percent when we arrived with phone charging from USB connection I have. It surprised me the charger kept up as we were stopping to take pictures and post updates of trip. A lot of people don't use electronic devices on their bike but to me it enhances the ride. The voices in my head get some time off with me streaming music. 🤣, plus the wife gets to communicate with me other than a hit on my helmet. Glad you got a charger system that works for you.
Highwayman likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM

I dunno man, I've had similar things happen and in every single case there is a common denominator. "Inexpensive China Product" Reading your post it sounds abundantly clear that the costlier Battery Tender piece was up to the task whereby the Ebay China Grade product was not.

Had the same thing happen with 2 cigarette lighter USB outlets I bought for the Harley. The first one died after about 10 hours of use. The second one.....you guessed it........died after about 10 hours of use. LOL !

Dont even get me started on Drones. LOL !

If you cross state lines on your motorcycle and depend on your phone for all the things that are vital to a pleasant experience........Bring extras of cables...outlets etc. The shit fails at a rate where you cant count on just having one.
lesblank and lesblank like this.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha, yeah. I marked them up as the chinese knockoffs, even though they were listed as "Amazon Choice" listings. The looked like they would be just right for a clean install and the price was definitely right.
I bought a set of the bone conduction headphones. Can't hear a thing with them, however once I plug in my foamies and slip on my helmet, the things work great. Makes the rides a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.
The GPS is necessary if you get lost easy and the Poker Run route is designed to be "scenic".
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I decided to give the mount/charger option another shot and thankfully it was able to find its way the long 20 miles from the warehouse to my hands.

Initial thought...I like it overall. It has a gear system to open and close the 4 corners/claws to hold on to your phone with a latch to lock everything in place. The claws are set up to where the phone corner is actually grabbed in them to hold it in place. The charge port has a rubber flap that seals it up, along with an on/off switch to turn it off local even if you have it hard wired to a full time power supply. It comes with a few zip ties and rubber strips, the rubber to wrap around the handle bar to both protect and fill the gap in the ring.

Brand name is PROCYMD phone holder with 5V 2A USB charger.

I think the install looks fairly clean. I will get some pictures of it tomorrow and edit this post to add them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_093836.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	80490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_093920.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	80498   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_093842.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	80506  

Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-12-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode